Thinking of Queensland and Journey

uktog

Some of us have been fortunate to explore the Queensland coast in detail stopping at charming small places like Townsville, Hamilton Island, the Whitsundays, Magnetic Island etc thanks to Azamara. Sending really positive thoughts to all the lovely people we met in these beautiful places as they have to cope with Mother Nature in the guise of Debbie just now.

Also thinking of everyone on Journey whose cruise is now not that beautiful sail up the Queensland coast but days of Debbie dodging. Keeping everyone safe will be challenging for Captain Magnus and all onboard but I have no doubt everyone's skills and talents will be being deployed to keep guests safe and as happy as possible.

Good luck to everyone on and offshore, Miss Debbie seems to be quite an angry madam.

I spent six weeks in Queensland a few years ago and loved this beautiful area of Australia. I can only agree with Ann and send my positive thoughts that it will escape the worst of cyclone Debbie.

There are sustained winds of 114 mph with gusts reaching 163 mph and torrential rain with a dangerous storm tide.

I am sure that Captain Magnus will be doing his utmost to keep all onboard Journey safe but obviously their cruise will be severely impacted.

Found this on a CC article. Hopefully they're out of harms way. Adore Queensland.

Earlier in the week, Azamara Club Cruises' Azamara Journey rescheduled calls to Hamilton Island and Townsville.

"We are currently monitoring the path and progress of Tropical Cyclone Debbie off the coast of Australia," said the global corporate communications director for Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. "Based on the storm's current location and projected path, we have rerouted Azamara Journey to ensure our guests have an enjoyable and comfortable cruise."

Currently tracking position showing Journey just north of Brisbane off the Sunshine Coast.

They look to be well to the south of the main storm track

Hope that their itinerary is not disrupted to much, has others have said we love Queensland.

We continue to monitoring the path and progress of Tropical Cyclone Debbie off the Australian coast. Based on the storm’s current location and projected path, we have rerouted Azamara Journey away from the storm to ensure our guests have an enjoyable and comfortable cruise.

We have been tracking the Journey's cruise up the coast and although current tracking information is nearly 18 hours old, it looked yesterday as if she was heading further out to sea to sail behind the cyclone.

Due to arrive at Cairns 5pm local time today. Cairns is roughly 350 kilometres (220 miles) north of the upper edge of "Debbie"

Hoping The Journey has not experienced the reported 8 metre (over 26 feet) seas.

Sending very best wishes to all on board, as well as to the residents of the areas affected as they face the mammoth clean up task.

On Journey's mystery cruise! Itinerary changes every day. We had two days in Brisbane, one lovely day at Mooloolaba. We get to Cairns on Friday after 3 days at sea. Sadly we have to miss Hamilton Is. Thursday Is. & Townsville. Decision yet to be made whether after Darwin Benoa or Celukan Bawang will be scrapped to make Singapore on time. No complaints loving ship in fact some of our friends from Quest fire are on board we had kept in touch since then. Vera

On Journey's mystery cruise! Itinerary changes every day. We had two days in Brisbane, one lovely day at Mooloolaba. We get to Cairns on Friday after 3 days at sea. Sadly we have to miss Hamilton Is. Thursday Is. & Townsville. Decision yet to be made whether after Darwin Benoa or Celukan Bawang will be scrapped to make Singapore on time. No complaints loving ship in fact some of our friends from Quest fire are on board we had kept in touch since then. Vera

Thanks for the update. We have all been thinking of you. Glad to hear you are enjoying the adventure.:)

Thanks for the update. We have all been thinking of you. Glad to hear you are enjoying the adventure.:)

I fear it's probably a little bit bumpy too and very wet. Brisbane is about to get a few days of solid rain and possibly flooding the entire coast. Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself though, you'll just have to come back.......:hearteyes:

I know that the Azamara Captains do a great job avoiding storms.

We were on Quest TA and Captain Jose took a more southerly route towards the Azores to avoid the eye of Tropical Storm Ian, en route to Canada.

When we were in Quebec, Russ had lunch with another CD and she said that they had 4 horrendous days mid Atlantic. We only had one when we were effected by the tail of the storm.

I know that the Azamara Captains do a great job avoiding storms.

We were on Quest TA and Captain Jose took a more southerly route towards the Azores to avoid the eye of Tropical Storm Ian, en route to Canada.

When we were in Quebec, Russ had lunch with another CD and she said that they had 4 horrendous days mid Atlantic. We only had one when we were effected by the tail of the storm.

Here's a classic example of it not always being possible to steer around a storm like you can in the Atlantic. Journey has really had to just sit it out because there was nowhere to go. She should have been in Cairns yesterday, but as it is she won't be there until Friday. Safety and comfort first, but a real mess for those on the ship with plans. I'm sure many will be quite understanding and a few cross that alternatives couldn't be found.

Here's a classic example of it not always being possible to steer around a storm like you can in the Atlantic. Journey has really had to just sit it out because there was nowhere to go. She should have been in Cairns yesterday, but as it is she won't be there until Friday. Safety and comfort first, but a real mess for those on the ship with plans. I'm sure many will be quite understanding and a few cross that alternatives couldn't be found.

You're right PHIL, there's only one way from Sydney to Asia (Singapore) so there was certainly no alternative than slowing down. Whilst the cyclone has crossed the coast and is now dumping a huge amount of rain I can imagine the ocean is still a bit nasty. There has been lots of damage but thankfully currently no loss of life.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And Magnus and team would do the best thing possible but he was in a no win situation given the direction Debbie was arriving in.

Its going to be challenging onboard, rain, probably swell, come complex fuel utilisation calculations and they will have run out of some things they planned to reprovision with by now. The crew must be really tired having had no lighter days with guests ashore. I do hope every guest onboard understands the situation and we do not see posts about "they should have done this" or "it would have been more sensible to have done that"

And Magnus and team would do the best thing possible but he was in a no win situation given the direction Debbie was arriving in.

Its going to be challenging onboard, rain, probably swell, come complex fuel utilisation calculations and they will have run out of some things they planned to reprovision with by now. The crew must be really tired having had no lighter days with guests ashore. I do hope every guest onboard understands the situation and we do not see posts about "they should have done this" or "it would have been more sensible to have done that"

Agreed, totally out of their control and safety first, that's the most important [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I fear that the crew is getting very tired because our cruise, from Auckland to Sydney, was challenging for them because of the weather, also. I think of all the housekeeping department that had to remove water from carpets in cabins and replace carpet where wind driven rain wrecked havoc from our cruise! They must be exhausted!

After three days at sea, we are now in Cairns - beautiful day here. We skirted the cyclone so there was no rough weather, sunshine at times as many people managed to use the pool. Haven't heard any complaints everyone including crew are happy. (Happy to have been kept safe by a great captain). Next port Darwin then Benoa (Celukan Bawang scrapped) to get to Singapore on 9th. Debbie was one massive cyclone with huge amount of damage and will still cause problems right across the Tasman to New Zealand.

After three days at sea, we are now in Cairns - beautiful day here. We skirted the cyclone so there was no rough weather, sunshine at times as many people managed to use the pool. Haven't heard any complaints everyone including crew are happy. (Happy to have been kept safe by a great captain). Next port Darwin then Benoa (Celukan Bawang scrapped) to get to Singapore on 9th. Debbie was one massive cyclone with huge amount of damage and will still cause problems right across the Tasman to New Zealand.

That's good news, I've been talking to friends on the cruise and friends that are staff and crew too so I knew you were safely moving toward the north. You're not really missing anything in Celukan Bawang but it is a shame not to experience it and spread some tourist dollars in their area too. It reminded me of the Bali of 35 years ago when I first visited. The entire east coast as far as Lismore has copped a beating from Debbie but no where near the damage as the Whitsunday regions. Safe onward journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After three days at sea, we are now in Cairns - beautiful day here. We skirted the cyclone so there was no rough weather, sunshine at times as many people managed to use the pool. Haven't heard any complaints everyone including crew are happy. (Happy to have been kept safe by a great captain).

Excellent news!

Good to hear everyone's safe.:p