Important detail for families - Heads up on the cabin deadbolts

shellmisi

Just a friendly heads up that the dead bolt locks on the cabin doors are opened by all passenger keys for the room. The room steward key will not open the deadbolt - you have to go up a level of security.

Also, your kids are required to carry their cards around to participate in teen activities or use the teen lounge, or check in and out of Splash Academy if they are 10-12 with that privilege.

This facts are related. You all will have to read between the lines. Plan accordingly.

Just a friendly heads up that the dead bolt locks on the cabin doors are opened by all passenger keys for the room. The room steward key will not open the deadbolt - you have to go up a level of security.

Also, your kids are required to carry their cards around to participate in teen activities or use the teen lounge, or check in and out of Splash Academy if they are 10-12 with that privilege.

This facts are related. You all will have to read between the lines. Plan accordingly.

Isn't there a deadbolt that locks from the inside that only be opened with a physical key from security?

In over 20 cruises , we have always had a deadbolt that isn't operated by your key card.

Isn't there a deadbolt that locks from the inside that only be opened with a physical key from security?

In over 20 cruises , we have always had a deadbolt that isn't operated by your key card.

That's my experience as well. The standard issue room key won't (or shouldn't) open the deadbolt.

We turned in three reports for a broken deadbolt and was finally told by the head of housekeeping that the dead bolt is working as intended. I am aware this is absolutely not how it works in hotels, but any key issued to a passenger of that cabin will indeed open the deadbolt. We asked if there is a setting that can be turned off so that this will not happen (in the lock or in the card) and was told that is not possible.

I'm thinking that most people just assume the deadbolt works how you logically think it should. It looks normal.

Oh and the cabin doors open into the hallway so there's no way to block the door. Trust me, we were brainstorming.

ive never seen a key card land or sea that opens a deadbolt. that basically defeats the purpose of the deadbolt.

I know, right?

The ship was the Breakaway so I bet you have seen it and didn't know. Try it on your cruise next month.

We turned in three reports for a broken deadbolt and was finally told by the head of housekeeping that the dead bolt is working as intended. I am aware this is absolutely not how it works in hotels, but any key issued to a passenger of that cabin will indeed open the deadbolt. We asked if there is a setting that can be turned off so that this will not happen (in the lock or in the card) and was told that is not possible.

I'm thinking that most people just assume the deadbolt works how you logically think it should. It looks normal.

Oh and the cabin doors open into the hallway so there's no way to block the door. Trust me, we were brainstorming.

I've never been on a ship or a hotel were door opens into the hallway.

The Escape does... just did it... they have little cutouts as you walk the hallway so the door can open out... if it opened in then it would take up the space in the hallway by the bathroom door.

The Escape does... just did it... they have little cutouts as you walk the hallway so the door can open out... if it opened in then it would take up the space in the hallway by the bathroom door.

Interesting.

As noted, this is true on the Breakaway, especially in those interior hallways with insides, like deck 13 AFT (both sides recessed - doors swing outward when open) and here on Deck 5 AFT, wide corridor - oceanviews on right (portside) open into the rooms, the ones on the left (insides) has the doors hinged and swing outward, does not block the halls or egress with the cutout design. This is near the AFT elevators & stairs.

8733095ad1ff52292092f68c9f6f1fec.jpg

700c5c260c95133782d81a1b68480728.jpg

sent from Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.1 via Tapatalk, VPN secured

Are there "do not disturb" signs for housekeeping, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

no signs. On the newer ships like the Breakaway, there is lights/dots on top of the door you can turn on/off that acts like a do not disturb sign

if i remember correctly, there is 3 lights. Green means there is a card in the keycard slot, Red is the do not disturb and some other color is for housekeeping.

I think we should start a spreadsheet of how the doors open, in or out. ;)

On our 3 Breakaway cruises the door opened inward. 2 of those were in the same room, but we were in:

8130 - M6 Mini Suite with Large Balcony

15104 - H4 Haven 2 Bedroom Suite

Yes was on Escape March 2016 and doors open outward and our teen daughters key worked with the deadbolt on.:o Found out the hard way She was told to knock first before entering but didn't. She will from now on :')