Help with MDR dress for men

Sailing Allure of the Seas in a few weeks. When I sailed Royal Caribbean about 10 years ago, I would always wear a tux on formal nights. Then I slipped to a suit - even though I adhered to the suggested dress for men, many men just had a collared dress shirt, no coat, no tie. Yesterday I called Royal - and the rep said I MUST wear a tux or suit - or I would have to eat at the Windjammer. I have seen dress become more relaxed through the years, but is this now true? I know this is a beat to death topic, but those who have recently cruised, please advise. It is not as much a matter of what I want to wear or not, but making packing easier since we are flying to FLL. Please advise - thanks for your help!

Sailing Allure of the Seas in a few weeks. When I sailed Royal Caribbean about 10 years ago, I would always wear a tux on formal nights. Then I slipped to a suit - even though I adhered to the suggested dress for men, many men just had a collared dress shirt, no coat, no tie. Yesterday I called Royal - and the rep said I MUST wear a tux or suit - or I would have to eat at the Windjammer. I have seen dress become more relaxed through the years, but is this now true? I know this is a beat to death topic, but those who have recently cruised, please advise. It is not as much a matter of what I want to wear or not, but making packing easier since we are flying to FLL. Please advise - thanks for your help!

Definitely NOT true. On my cruise last month, probably less than 50% of the men wore suits on formal night.

I know everyone has their own opinions of what SHOULD be worn, but as far as whether you will be banned from the MDR, absolutely not.

I think this is another case of phone reps just reading from a script.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience, you will not be turned away from the MDR as long as you have on a shirt and shoes, including on formal nights. I'm currently on board Freedom and while I was pleasantly surprised with the number of people who dressed as suggested there were plenty in shorts and t-shirts in the MDR on the formal nights.

We were on Oasis last month. Very mixed dress code on formal nights. Most upgraded their dress levels though with a few stand outs, still plenty of suits around and a few Tuxs. Nice to see those in the busy lines for formal night photos looking splendid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on Oasis a couple of weeks ago; it was mostly a mix of suits, sports coats and dress shirts with ties. There were a few tuxes.

I was in a sports coat, slacks and dress shirt and didn't feel out of place. I wouldn't have felt out of place in a suit either, a tux might've felt a bit over the top.

In my experience, you will not be turned away from the MDR as long as you have on a shirt and shoes, including on formal nights. I'm currently on board Freedom and while I was pleasantly surprised with the number of people who dressed as suggested there were plenty in shorts and t-shirts in the MDR on the formal nights.

That has been the case on our last several cruises where people have dressed inappropriately.

We cruise with RCCL,Princess,NCL and P&O.

That rep should be fired.

Thats a bit harsh he is probably only saying what he is told to say but when you are on board it seems to be do down to the restaurant manager what he allows.

We cruise with RCCL,Princess,NCL and P&O.

Only fire the rep? What about his immediate boss who obviously is not training the reps properly? What about that boss' boss who hired that boss? And what about the VP of Customer Service who hired the rep's boss' boss. While you're at it why not demand the heads of Bayley and Fain too!

Firing the rep isn't just a bit over the top - It's way over the top.

(and I know way over the top)

Only fire the rep? What about his immediate boss who obviously is not training the reps properly? What about that boss' boss who hired that boss? And what about the VP of Customer Service who hired the rep's boss' boss. While you're at it why not demand the heads of Bayley and Fain too!

Firing the rep isn't just a bit over the top - It's way over the top.

(and I know way over the top)

True.Bottom line is Restaurant manager can decide what dress code is allowed in his restaurant.

43 cruises and counting.

Only fire the rep? What about his immediate boss who obviously is not training the reps properly? What about that boss' boss who hired that boss? And what about the VP of Customer Service who hired the rep's boss' boss. While you're at it why not demand the heads of Bayley and Fain too! Firing the rep isn't just a bit over the top - It's way over the top. (and I know way over the top)
It is also, explicitly, bad management. Managers who fire staff due to incidents are abrogating their obligation as managers to build and foster a system within which errors (if this was even that) don't happen much, and are addressed by improvements to the system rather than by way of vindictive retribution against the human being caught in the center of it.