Last minute cancellation, need advice!

Gistfamily

My wife broke her arm and now must have surgery Monday. Her doctor says she cannot go on our cruise on the Getaway April 16th. I have talked to my TA and the only thing NCL will do is refund port fees, taxes and gratuities. I understand their position but has anyone received more from NCL. No travel insurance because i was too cheap. Thank You

My wife broke her arm and now must have surgery Monday. Her doctor says she cannot go on our cruise on the Getaway April 16th. I have talked to my TA and the only thing NCL will do is refund port fees, taxes and gratuities. I understand their position but has anyone received more from NCL. No travel insurance because i was too cheap. Thank You

Did you pay with a credit card? Many, many VISA, MC, Amex have automatic coverage up to limits for a situation like this.

Without insurance, you are lucky to get anything. You are in the 100% cancel penalty window.

Not true. What OP listed is always refunded, 100% penalty window or not.

But other than that, without insurance there is nothing any cruise line will do - there are some rare cases when squeaky wheel does get the grease but as a regular paying customer who is smart enough to insure costs I can't afford to lose, I despise companies that cave in like that.

If can find someone to go in place, pay you back at least the 3 items NCL will, maybe you can give it to family members in steps. Call once to change he name to someone else bc can't go. When new name on reservation swap them to first person listed and change from you to someone else. Some lines would charge 50 each name change, others nothing, or may not allow but in steps may be able to get someone to take spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry about your wife's arm. I, too, was too cheap to buy insurance. Then, as we were in San Francisco pre-cruise, we got word that our house had been hit by lightning and was burning. Southwest air was wonderful, getting us home quickly. Our credit card company had JUST removed their travel insurance. Princess wouldn't work with us. We appealed and lost. I still have a sour taste in my mouth about both the credit card company and Princess, but now I always buy insurance.

If docs can get arm stabilized and surgery scheduled for after trip, may be able to still enjoy a lot of what cruises offer. We've had some breaks right before cruising. They don't like to cast bc of swelling possible but one doc made a cast, then cut in half , then put back on w Velcro and tight wrap that could be loosened if swollen. Not ideal not to do water stuff but beat not going. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You won't get anything more. They can't make exceptions because it would open the floodgates. Not that you want to hear it but cruise insurance is sooo important and really a minor expense. Sorry you have had to learn this the hard way.

If can find someone to go in place, pay you back at least the 3 items NCL will, maybe you can give it to family members in steps. Call once to change he name to someone else bc can't go. When new name on reservation swap them to first person listed and change from you to someone else.

That won't work, when the second of the two original main passengers on the reservation is changed it becomes a cancellation and rebooking. Changing just one is ok, two is not.

It stinks, it's the gamble you take. We are a family of 7, I always get the insurance, just in case, because that's exactly what it's for, unexpected last minute reason you can't cruise (plus for medical emergencies).

Sorry about your wife's arm. I, too, was too cheap to buy insurance. Then, as we were in San Francisco pre-cruise, we got word that our house had been hit by lightning and was burning. Southwest air was wonderful, getting us home quickly. Our credit card company had JUST removed their travel insurance. Princess wouldn't work with us. We appealed and lost. I still have a sour taste in my mouth about both the credit card company and Princess, but now I always buy insurance.

I guess I can understand being mad at the credit company if they didn't inform you of the change but why would you be mad at Princess? It wasn't their fault that you had to cancel? It's a choice for all of us on whether to buy travel insurance or not. I always buy it but some choose not to. But that just means you will eat the cost of a trip if you have to cancel.

So sorry this happened to you. And yes this is exactly why I always pay extra for the cruise line insurance. For our family of five it is about $700 but that is worth it to me for unexpected problems like this.

You must have some incredible coverage. For the 4 adults in my family we pay around $360 - and that is for the top Travelguard (Gold) plan!

Sorry for your accident. NCL is very stubborn about their no refund policy. We just asked a question about rescheduling because of a death in the family and our reservation was cancelled. All was resolved in the end, but it was a shock and a major hassle to restore the booking.

Haven't learned my lesson and only buy the insurance sporadically.

You must have some incredible coverage. For the 4 adults in my family we pay around $360 - and that is for the top Travelguard (Gold) plan!

Probably talking about the book safe travel insurance that NCL offers. It's more expensive than travel guard but provides a future cruise credit of 75% of the fare if you cancel for a non-covered reason. Does that $360 give you your money back if you cancel for any reason?

There is a lot of information about travel insurance at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

(the CC travel insurance sub-forum)

We *always* get third party insurance. There are many different types of policies/coverage.

We get coverage that waives the exclusion of pre-existing condition coverage.

And sometimes we get CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) added on these days, due to very elderly MIL's medical situation. (If something truly serious occurred, the regular coverage would kick in, but we get the CFAR in case something happens that is just "iffy" and DH doesn't feel comfortable being away, or wants to return early).

This CFAR pays 75%, but it's *cash*, not a credit, so it could be applied to another trip, a different cruise line, or just put back in the piggy bank.

We've had two large claims, and they were paid with no nonsense.

Which CC changed their travel insurance perk?

insurance price depends on the age of the cruisers , destination, # of days etc the amount of the vacation insured etc. We are paying $900 for 5 for about a 18 K Baltic cruise and airfare

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry for your accident. NCL is very stubborn about their no refund policy. We just asked a question about rescheduling because of a death in the family and our reservation was cancelled. All was resolved in the end, but it was a shock and a major hassle to restore the booking.

Haven't learned my lesson and only buy the insurance sporadically.

NCL is stubborn for following through on the contract terms you agreed to? I'm assuming they caved since you resolved it in the end and still don't buy insurance.