Change to safety drill.

daiB

I was under the impression that under the previous system, cabin stewards checked their cabins to ensure nobody was in them.

This system should work better however.

Regards John

Yes they do and they put a "clear" sign on the doors. Doesn't stop people putting the life jacket under the bed and wandering off to the pool though.

clearsmall.jpg

Princess have been using this system for the last couple of years - it's not perfect as quite often the person who is meant to be scanning cards isn't at the entrance to the muster station, and you then need to track them down to have the card scanned,

I had assumed that P&O already did it too - but I've not been on P&O since 2015 so didn't know they were still using the older procedure.

It's certainly a step in the right direction...

Don't get the B2B "exemption" plea at all.

On a recent 35 nighter all pax required to attend a second refresh brief. Totally supported the instruction and welcome the attendance verification by cruise card initiative.

Complacency and arrogance kill!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On a recent 35 nighter all pax required to attend a second refresh brief. Totally supported the instruction and welcome the attendance verification by cruise card initiative.

On a lot of cruise lines, when you are doing a B2B you don't need to attend the second drill. You are judged to have been to the first one, which, under this new system you will have done, and, therefore, you don't need to attend the second.

The B2B exemption applies if you are occupying the same cabin as the previous cruise, otherwise you attend the drill. It would not bother me if they required attendance on both occasions but would we see the customary howls of protest.

Last year was chaos on the Britannia and some ladies were embarrassed as they turned up in skirts and the new type of life jackets have a between leg strap. It was funny though and most of the ladies took it well and just got on with it. The crew member stood by us had no idea how to put it on and had to be told by another :)

It's good that now it's done by cruise card and not a cabin check

Our first cruise was on Saga Sapphire: all passengers had to stand on deck next to their allocated lifeboat to have their names checked off a list. I'd assumed that was quite normal practice as it seemed an obvious thing to do, so P&O's relatively informal approach was a bit of a surprise.

Our first cruise was on Saga Sapphire: all passengers had to stand on deck next to their allocated lifeboat to have their names checked off a list. I'd assumed that was quite normal practice as it seemed an obvious thing to do, so P&O's relatively informal approach was a bit of a surprise.

A lot of people think like this, however in many emergency situations everybody getting into lifeboat will not be appropriate such as in a big splash, thought someone had gone overboard situation. Finding out who is actually on board in a severe storm could be more effectively done "indoors" with leading people out on the same deck following an abandon ship order could be more effective should that become the next stage in any emergency.

Having a designated lifeboat can be disconcerting in a tender port where yours is no longer there, it's in St. Peter Port!

Regards John

Was it virtually the same as the first drill?

On Ventura last week it took a while to get everyone in the lounges. The scanning of cruise cards was quick and easy (staff placed at the entrances). We got there at the time we were told to get there however it took a while to get everyone to the stations and we were sat there for a good 20/30 minutes before the announcement actually started. Once the announcement from the captain had begun to be read it was very quick however and was over within 20/25 minutes.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dan - exactly the same as the first/(many)others I have attended on P&O cruises. But this was the first time I have been required to attend two. As I recall the Captain explained it was a requirement, not sure if P&O or Maritime Regulation, to conduct refresher training every month no matter individual status or opinions.

Cruise Puss - respect your opinion and have no knowledge of what you have experienced on other cruise lines. But I base my strong view that complacency etc kill after over 30 years of military/emergency team response duties where I have the unfortunate task had to clear up avoidable mess or break bad news to relatives.

They have scanned your cruise cards on Royal Caribbean for years.

43 cruises and counting.

I think that this is a really good move and makes sure that everyone attends. I can never understand why anyone does not want to attend ..... but then some folk seem to think that the rules don't apply to them.

Have to say, the worst muster drill we have ever been to was on the Independence of the Seas. The muster drill on deck was a complete farce and some very giggly (plastered to me) women were allowed to take it as a big joke. Not good at all. They needed putting in their place ..... sadly the crew made light of it.

I think that this is a really good move and makes sure that everyone attends. I can never understand why anyone does not want to attend ..... but then some folk seem to think that the rules don't apply to them.

Have to say, the worst muster drill we have ever been to was on the Independence of the Seas. The muster drill on deck was a complete farce and some very giggly (plastered to me) women were allowed to take it as a big joke. Not good at all. They needed putting in their place ..... sadly the crew made light of it.

Sometimes that is the way to treat inebriated people to save things getting nasty.

Usually P&O drills are in lounges where you can sit down.

43 cruises and counting.

Sometimes that is the way to treat inebriated people to save things getting nasty.

Usually P&O drills are in lounges where you can sit down.

43 cruises and counting.

Suppose so, but it didn't make us feel that safety was the main priority ..........