extra staff

AmuseMe

Hank, that is a horrible feeling. On my very first cruise, I was seated at a table for 8 or 10, but the other 7 or 9 were all from the same family who missed embarkation so I sat there the first night alone. It was worse than sitting at a table for 2 alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That happened to me with a table for 8. The Maitre'D was very apologetic about it and I got a free bottle of wine plus the head waiter served me himself. Passengers later asked me if I was a director of the company :D

That happened to me with a table for 8. The Maitre'D was very apologetic about it and I got a free bottle of wine plus the head waiter served me himself. Passengers later asked me if I was a director of the company :D

LOL, that would have had a lot of people wondering.

I think I would be inspired to have us sit at two far ends of the table like we were the king and queen dining in Buckingham Palace or something. :) (Well, for just a minute, just as a joke. :) )

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Edited by bUU

Not quite right. The "maximum" capacity is based on lifeboat capacity. There will be many more berths in passenger cabins than the maximum capacity. This is so that those who want more than double occupancy have the choice of various cabin classes. However, cb is as usual off the mark, because of the pricing practice where 3rd/4th guests pay less than 1st/2nd in a cabin. So, what the lines will do, in times of high family bookings, is base the number of 3rd/4th guests they will allow to be booked on having all cabins full at double occupancy. If it looks like the ship will be at max capacity without filling all cabins, they will stop allowing 3rd/4th guest bookings, to force the families/groups to book two cabins.

Thanks for that information.

Wouldn't it be great if CC added tags to some screen names such as "trusted expert poster" and "usually incorrect" . . .

In 2003 we were on a 3day repo LA-Vancouver on the HAL Amsterdam. Evidently it was at the beginning of when the cruiselines decided not to dead-head anymore.

188 Pax. Our two cabins were the only ones our steward had. Think there were 10 pax in our Muster station. Steakhouse closed. Stores only open the last day to blowout the World Cruise souvenirs. Boxes were everywhere. Only one buffet line open for both pax and crew. One dinner sitting, upper level. One showtime. Took management a day to reassign the extra waitstaff, bar staff and Stewards for other assignments (deep cleaning).

We have many great stories from that one cruise.

In 2003 we were on a 3day repo LA-Vancouver on the HAL Amsterdam. Evidently it was at the beginning of when the cruiselines decided not to dead-head anymore.

188 Pax. Our two cabins were the only ones our steward had. Think there were 10 pax in our Muster station. Steakhouse closed. Stores only open the last day to blowout the World Cruise souvenirs. Boxes were everywhere. Only one buffet line open for both pax and crew. One dinner sitting, upper level. One showtime. Took management a day to reassign the extra waitstaff, bar staff and Stewards for other assignments (deep cleaning).

We have many great stories from that one cruise.

Almost like a ghost ship with crew.

But for those who are curious., yes, some cruises sail with a substantial number of empty cabins. The cruise lines use many marketing techniques to fill unsold cabins including last minute booking specials (we often take advantage of last minute pricing with amazing deals), opening up more cabins for "Interline" bookings (these are travel professionals such as airline crew, etc.

Something that is often not mentioned, especially on the Miami, Ft Lauderdale departures is office employees sailing comp.

As Miami is the location for corporate HQ for CCL, CEL, RCCL and NCL, a huge employee benefit is free cruising. The catch is, it's usually on wait list or standby with employee comps being notified and assigned 4 or 5 days prior to the sail date.

Someone I know who works for CCL told me that the employee wait lists for most popular sailings typically has 25 - 50 names with some getting lucky and some not.

So even though the cruise line get no cruise fare revenue for the cabin, employees still drink, gamble, buy pictures, purchase shore excursions and pay gratuities.

Hank, that is a horrible feeling. On my very first cruise, I was seated at a table for 8 or 10, but the other 7 or 9 were all from the same family who missed embarkation so I sat there the first night alone. It was worse than sitting at a table for 2 alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh that would be horrific.

I carry a book just in case or if I get dud tablemates.

That would be handy if no one turned up, but a bit rude if they did and were duds.

I agree.......I am amazed that anyone thinks that it's acceptable to purposefully ignore people who are sitting at the table with you (whether you wanted them to or not). It's really not hard to be pleasant - even if conversation is minimal - for the time of a single meal.

A few times Mrs G and I have had alarmed table to just the two of us.

But then we usually request a table for two.

We actually liked it, could sit next to each other, and hold hands, not opposite each other.

A few times Mrs G and I have had alarmed table to just the two of us.

But then we usually request a table for two.

We actually liked it, could sit next to each other, and hold hands, not opposite each other.

Hmmmm... An alarmed table. Does it have it's own ejection seat too?

Hmmmm... An alarmed table. Does it have it's own ejection seat too?

Should have said a large, no idea where alarmed came from, except I had to get through three lots of I'm a Robot so probably was alarmed after typing it in again and again.

Should have said a large, no idea where alarmed came from, except I had to get through three lots of I'm a Robot so probably was alarmed after typing it in again and again.

I have seen you walking very stiffly, perhaps you are a robot.:p