Phillip Morris on Nieuw Amsterdam

p598738

He has also been known to stroll thru the MDR at the end of the early seating, ringing his chimes, as a gentle reminder to those that are lingering - "your dinner is over, and we need to set up for the next seating". Was always a little embarrassed by this if we did talk too long after dinner, but it did take the pressure off of the waiters to kick us out!:)

Edited by pv girl
spelling

To me this is nostalgia and on all our 12 cruises on HAL

I enjoy seeing The yum yum man and hearing the chimes.

Hope HAL keeps this tradition going! With all of their changes and cuts this might be fading away :(

Denise :)

Rumor has it that they're getting rid of the high G as part of the cutbacks. You'll wind up with Ding Ding Ding Thunk (as the mallet hits wood where the high G used to be.)

VjhG1Yl6gSQ

POA, you're having way too much fun with this Yum Yum Man business. We can't have none of that here;p

Does it show? ;) And here I thought I was making serious social commentary.

I just watched POA's Phillip Morris clip and just shook my head at the part where "even doctors recommend Phillip Morris cigarettes because they are less irritating" !!!

Follow the related videos and it gets better. Look for the Lucy and Desi one.

If you have time to check out the commercials on YouTube, you'll soon realize that you could make heads explode on a certain thread.

I still remember when they banned cigarette ads on TV and every magazine had huge amounts of tobacco advertising.

Does it show? ;) And here I thought I was making serious social commentary.

Some of the best social commentary is cloaked in humor. Wish I could buy you a drink to thank you for the laughs. But I'm sending a virtual cocktail over to your table right now. :cocktail:

The very first cruise we ever took was on the Marti Gras in 1974. It was the first Carnival ship, a refurbished steamer which had made the London/Dover to Capetown run for many years. The ship was all cash and you were summoned to dinner by the charming sounds of chimes being played. It was wonderful. Two men at our table wore tuxedos every night !

• 2 months later...
We saw the "Yum Yum" guy on both the Zuiderdam and the Oosterdam in 2015 & 2016. He starts out on deck 2, heading towards the bow, then up to deck 3, heading back to the MDR. He usually stays on the public decks, #2 & #3. He carries a small 5 or 6 note chime, that he plays, going up & down the scales in no particular order. I remember the Phillip Morris TV commercials in the nighttime variety shows, like Ed Sullivan, Perry Como, Dean Martin, etc. And the last line was "Call for Phillip Morrr a' uus" The Morris was extended.

I haven't seen the Yum Yum man make his rounds since our first Holland American in 2001. Guess I need to hang out in the bars more often!;)

On the Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago we listened for the chimes each night to tell us it's time to head to the MDR for dinner. This young man was charming no matter what role he was playing around the ship and always took time to talk to us. It was another HAL tradition we were happy to see as on-going.