Phillip Morris on Nieuw Amsterdam

p598738

Guides you to your table in the dining room deck 2.

White hat and jacket.

I forgot to get a pic. Anybody have one ?

Good cruise. Liked the food and service. My wife gave it high marks as well.

Edited by p598738
typo

The Yum Yum Man is one of the most charming things about sailing with HAL.

Can I ask why you called him Phillip Morris? The title of the post confused me haha.

Back in the day when cigarette companies sponsored TV and radio shows, The Phillip Morris company had a "bell boy" - outfitted in that box hat and the buttoned up uniform jacket. The signature line was that he would shout out "Call For Phillip Morris"....

If you are under 60, you would have never seen this.

Back in the day when cigarette companies sponsored TV and radio shows, The Phillip Morris company had a "bell boy" - outfitted in that box hat and the buttoned up uniform jacket. The signature line was that he would shout out "Call For Phillip Morris"....

If you are under 60, you would have never seen this.

Ahhh. Makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation!! :D

I'm only 34 so did not grow up with cigarette commercials on TV.

Somehow this will hilariously wind up rolled into the smoking thread. ;) The "Call for Philip Morris!" part of the clip is near the very end.

VBNu9rGWaUg

Adding to your learning experience;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Roventini

I guess the modern equivalent would be, "Yo, Altria!"

Edited by POA1

Somehow this will hilariously wind up rolled into the smoking thread. ;) The "Call for Philip Morris!" part of the clip is near the very end.

VBNu9rGWaUg

Adding to your learning experience;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Roventini

I guess the modern equivalent would be, "Yo, Altria!"

Thank you for that chuckle! We drove recently to and from Florida, passing the Philip Morris headquarters in Richmond. All I could think of was that add, "call for Philip Morris" with their version of the yum yum man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only been on one HAL cruise; but don't remember a xylophone being played. When and where does that happen? I want to watch for it on our Jan HAL cruise.

It's a little hand-held version, not a full xylophone. One of the yum-yum man's jobs is to walk along the hallway to the MDR, playing the little chime to tell you it's time for dinner. A very old tradition, and a genteel way of saying "come and get it!"

I have only been on one HAL cruise; but don't remember a xylophone being played. When and where does that happen? I want to watch for it on our Jan HAL cruise.

He plays the xylophone as dinner chimes to announce 'dinner; time' , he goes by Oxcan Bar, Explorers MIX We never go to Crows Nest before dinner so I don'f know if he sounds the dinner chimes tthere..

He plays the xylophone as dinner chimes to announce 'dinner; time' , he goes by Oxcan Bar, Explorers MIX We never go to Crows Nest before dinner so I don'f know if he sounds the dinner chimes tthere..

Thanks for letting me know. So I am assuming that if we are in the bar around 5:30, we should here him? I guess that is can force myself to be able in the bar before dinner :D

No chimes in the Crow's Nest.

Wow, does he still do this? I haven't seen him with the little xylophone since our first HAL cruise in 1992.

We saw the "Yum Yum" guy on both the Zuiderdam and the Oosterdam in 2015 & 2016. He starts out on deck 2, heading towards the bow, then up to deck 3, heading back to the MDR. He usually stays on the public decks, #2 & #3. He carries a small 5 or 6 note chime, that he plays, going up & down the scales in no particular order. I remember the Phillip Morris TV commercials in the nighttime variety shows, like Ed Sullivan, Perry Como, Dean Martin, etc. And the last line was "Call for Phillip Morrr a' uus" The Morris was extended.

Our most recent HAL cruise was to Bermuda in may '15. I don't recall the Yum Yum Man "doing the tour" to announce dinner. Nor do I recall it on our NA cruise in '14.

Personally, since we haven't cruised recently, I think it's a disservice to answer questions such as this with authority. [emoji8]

We saw the "Yum Yum" guy on both the Zuiderdam and the Oosterdam in 2015 & 2016. He starts out on deck 2, heading towards the bow, then up to deck 3, heading back to the MDR. He usually stays on the public decks, #2 & #3. He carries a small 5 or 6 note chime, that he plays, going up & down the scales in no particular order. I remember the Phillip Morris TV commercials in the nighttime variety shows, like Ed Sullivan, Perry Como, Dean Martin, etc. And the last line was "Call for Phillip Morrr a' uus" The Morris was extended.

Exactly..."call for Philip Morrr-uuuss"

As a true aficionado of random and obscure facts, I'm happy to report that dinner chimes are almost always a 4 note instrument. They're tuned to G-C-E-G.

If you want to play the NBC chime sound, it's G-E-C. (Easy to remember if you think General Electric Corporation as a mnemonic device.

I'm kind of in demand for team trivia. ;)