Can someone please explain ship time/time zones to me?

gardn198

I have a few questions since this is kind of confusing to me:

1. We are sailing from Orlando, does that mean the "ship time" will be EST?

2. Our first port is Aruba, which is Atlantic Standard Time. Apparently they don't observe Daylight Savings... so right now EST and AST are the same. But when it's not daylight savings, will Aruba be an hour ahead or behind the ship? If we're supposed to be back by 9PM, does that mean 9PM Eastern Time if the boat runs on that time zone?

Edited by gardn198
spelling

The easiest thing to do is stay on ship time. The ship won't adjust time as they go through different time zones so set your watch to ship time and leave it there. But when it's not daylight savings time they would be an hour behind

• Like 1

;p You always ( ALWAYS) stay on ships time unless the ships personnel direct you to adjust you time. In all the cruises we have taken this has happened from time to time but we had plenty on notice. Don't worry over it just go with it.

• Like 2

You will stay on Orlando time.

Bring a watch and if you rely on your cell phone, be sure to disable "Location Services" because while even with airplane mode engaged, if you are connected to wi-fi your phone will update with the current local time. Saw it with my own eyes last month on the Vista.

• Like 1

You will stay on Orlando time.

Bring a watch and if you rely on your cell phone, be sure to disable "Location Services" because while even with airplane mode engaged, if you are connected to wi-fi your phone will update with the current local time. Saw it with my own eyes last month on the Vista.

On an iPhone, there's a "toggle switch" in the Date & Time settings called "Set Automatically" that can be turned off to keep it from setting the time zone automatically via celluar or wifi. Also, within the Location Services settings, in the System Services section, there's a specific toggle that can be turned off for "Setting Time Zone." I did have a watch, but used my phone a lot to keep time and it never changed.

I know this is kind of the long way around and simply turning off Location Services altogether is easier, but I wanted to leave Location Services on because I had downloaded some Caribbean maps to one of my navigation apps and was able to use the phone's built in GPS receiver to watch our location in relation to upcoming ports, even without cellular network. But yeah, if you have no use for GPS, just do what you suggest. :)

I never wear a watch unless I am on a cruise just so I can stay on ship's time. We lock our phones in the safe and don't take them out until we return to home port. I know lots of people use their phones for pictures etc. but I just find it easier not to take a chance on losing it. JMHO.

• Like 2

The only reason the time matters at all is for shore excursions. Not only CCL but ALL shore excursion employees know EXACTLY when your ship is going to leave and what time to get you back. Some of you are making way too much of the time thing. The time will be posted boldly on your fun times, BE BACK ON THE SHIP 4pm SHIPS TIME.

• Like 1

Weird. My experiences conflict with what people are reporting. I've never not changed time zones on the ship. Usually it's just an hour and the ship gives you a million reminders on which day they want you to change the time.

Otherwise it will be super confusing to be on a different time zone than the port!

But yes, regardlesss do what is suggested, make sure whatever time keeping device you are using is on manual time zone settings. You'll know the time when you board. And don't change anything unless instructed to. There's usually a clock when you get off the ship so you can double check your on the right time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only reason the time matters at all is for shore excursions. Not only CCL but ALL shore excursion employees know EXACTLY when your ship is going to leave and what time to get you back. Some of you are making way too much of the time thing. The time will be posted boldly on your fun times, BE BACK ON THE SHIP 4pm SHIPS TIME.
I've read about plenty of cases where excursions ran long and caused some close calls. Whether it was large groups that help up an excursion or some other unforeseen circumstances, even though the guides know when the ship leaves, stuff happens.

If someone doesn't know to always use ship's time, and they end up using local time instead, they run the risk of missing scheduled activities, shows, meals, what have you. So time is relevant for more than just excursions.

I bring my "vacation watch" First I set it for the ship's departure time zone, and , usually leave it at the. BUT, I've been to ports where the "ships time" is changed to that particular local time.

Easy enough. just ask on your way out to that port what time you should use to get to the ship on time.

• 6 months later...
Weird. My experiences conflict with what people are reporting. I've never not changed time zones on the ship. Usually it's just an hour and the ship gives you a million reminders on which day they want you to change the time.

Otherwise it will be super confusing to be on a different time zone than the port!

But yes, regardlesss do what is suggested, make sure whatever time keeping device you are using is on manual time zone settings. You'll know the time when you board. And don't change anything unless instructed to. There's usually a clock when you get off the ship so you can double check your on the right time.

On HAL cruises we did have to change our watches as ship time changed but I do not recall Carnival doing that. I do remember arriving at Roatan on a CCL ship and the tour guide saying I was an hour off in arriving.

Ship's time is ALL that matters...so don't worry about island time! If the ship does change time to match a port, you will be informed.

Alway wear a watch (don't rely on your cell phone...it will show local time which might not match the ship) and check the ship's clock on your way off the ship....make sure the time matches!

It seems Carnival never used to change their time for Caribbean sailings, but I'm pretty sure they did last fall when I was on Splendor and I was surprised. They do to Bermuda, too.

The change isn't always prominently displayed. It was in small print on the bottom of the front page of the Fun Times the night before it changed. I didn't recall hearing any announcement. If I didn't make it a habit to read the FunTimes before going to bed at night, I wouldn't have seen it.

If you're meeting an independent excursion, you most definitely need to know whether you'll be on ship or local time.

HAL changes time to local time, too. Leaving tomorrow. Maybe I should double-check my excursion times. I do believe all our ports (except HMC) are all in the Atlantic zone.

Most short closed loop cruises (less than a week) rarely change time to match ports and longer closed loop cruises only tend to match port time if the majority of the ports of call will be in the same time zone.

With that said, ultimately it is up to the Captain and the senior navigation officers acting within directives of the home office as to if they will or won't change ship's time to match local time for any port.

The best way to determine (for yourself) if the ship's time will be different is to find the port of call's docking schedule as published by their harbor master and compare it to itinerary issued by the cruise line.

From that you can determine if published private tours match in with your port time and if you need to calculate adjustments along the way.

Also be candid with tour operators, let them know exactly what ship you are on and never hide the fact that you are cruising, if a company does not wish to deal directly with you as a cruise passenger their reasons are their own and may have to do with a poor record of cruisers arriving back to port in time, especially if they meet you away from the secured port area such as at a resort.

Also realize many tour operators will only uphold their guarantee of you meeting the ship at the next port if your party holds passports or can have the cruise line get them to the port agent.

I agree with the others that all of my Carnival cruises with the exception of one stayed on ship's time which is the local time at the initial port of embarkation. The one exception on Carnival was to Alaska where passengers were informed to change their watches a couple of times.

I have a few questions since this is kind of confusing to me:

1. We are sailing from Orlando, does that mean the "ship time" will be EST?

2. Our first port is Aruba, which is Atlantic Standard Time. Apparently they don't observe Daylight Savings... so right now EST and AST are the same. But when it's not daylight savings, will Aruba be an hour ahead or behind the ship? If we're supposed to be back by 9PM, does that mean 9PM Eastern Time if the boat runs on that time zone?

Always, always, always stay on ship time.

• 1 year later...

I agree it will be worthwhile to have a simple watch set to the Ship Time.  And that will ensure we get back on the ship in time.  I will leave my phone settings as is, so that any pictures I take will have the correct time on them.

But my question deals with getting off the ship in the morning and taking an excursion.

In Bermuda, I want to take an excursion that is not offered by the cruise ship.   We arrive in Bermuda at 8 am.

The excursion I want to book leaves at 9.     If the ship stays on ET and Bermuda is in a different time zone, then I'm already late for the excursion by the time we dock.

Even if the time works out, is one hour enough to get off the ship in Bermuda ?    (I have a daughter who cruises a lot, and she says we should allow at least 90 minutes ...  but there are no island excursions that leave at 9:30)

Thank you very much

Generally, you will not change your watch unless the ship passes through more than one time zone like going to Alaska or Hawaii.  Unless it's indicated on your Funtimes, stay on the same time you had in your departure port.  Cell phones will often adjust as it realizes you've moved to a new time zone, so don't rely on it for time.  If you're not like me and wear an analog watch all the time, you might want to invest in a cheap one for your cruise.

2 hours ago, unicorn46 said:

I agree it will be worthwhile to have a simple watch set to the Ship Time.  And that will ensure we get back on the ship in time.  I will leave my phone settings as is, so that any pictures I take will have the correct time on them.

But my question deals with getting off the ship in the morning and taking an excursion.

In Bermuda, I want to take an excursion that is not offered by the cruise ship.   We arrive in Bermuda at 8 am.

The excursion I want to book leaves at 9.     If the ship stays on ET and Bermuda is in a different time zone, then I'm already late for the excursion by the time we dock.

Even if the time works out, is one hour enough to get off the ship in Bermuda ?    (I have a daughter who cruises a lot, and she says we should allow at least 90 minutes ...  but there are no island excursions that leave at 9:30)

Thank you very much

you are WAY over thinking this, every excursion operator knows the ship time and local time. This is all they do for a living. You being on their excursion is all they care about. Usually a tour operator will email you specific instructions on where to be when and on what time zone. 

• Like 1

The ships time is supposed to be the time of the port that you leave from. For the first time in 25 cruises last week on the Glory they changed the ships time  up on the first night out. Two says before we came back they reset their time to normal time. Do not know why. Best way to keep up with time was the Hub had the ships time so make sure that your cell or watch says the same. Only real problem was that my tablet did not reset to ships time and my alarm went off an hour early on last day. I was ready to get off real early. LOL