Very bad experience on Grand Princess

RiverCityCruiser

I took my mother on the California coastal cruise on the Grand Princess out of San Francisco. Everything was fine until I went to bed after 10pm. I pulled back the blanket and I noticed that the bottom sheet looked wet. I asked my mother if her bed had the same rather large spot and it did not. When I touched the spot it was wet and when I smelled my hand, it smelled of urine! To say I was not happy, is an understatement. Someone from the front office came and inspected the bed. They sent a steward, to what he thought was simply a mission tohange the sheets. But I insisted that he take all the bedding out, including the mattress and bring all fresh bedding. (I did not get another of their new, fancy mattresses.I got one of the older, hard mattress.) Then during the week, we had to call the front desk at least 4 times to tell them that the toilet was not flushing. Their apology consisted of sending us a short note, saying they were sorry along with 4 chocolate dipped strawberries. I think part of the problem is because they have cut back on services. Instead of 2 cabin stewards per room, they now only have 1 and they are expected to turn the rooms around in a short amount of time. The sheets had not been slept in, so I know that the sheets had been changed, but the bed had not been checked to see if it was ready to be made up.

I think part of the problem is because they have cut back on services. Instead of 2 cabin stewards per room, they now only have 1 and they are expected to turn the rooms around in a short amount of time.

Sorry to hear this. There is no excuse for the bed. We had a toilet issue on our last cruise and a plumber was sent and he fixed it right away.

I never remember there being 2 cabin stewards to a cabin, and we have been sailing on Princess cruises.since 1995. Maybe in the past the cabin steward payed some other staff to assist on turnaround day. Most cabin stewards have 18 standard cabins. I think in the past it could have been a few less.. I do remember there being a team of two cabin stewards on HAL. But, they had way more cabins to handle.

I cruise on the Grand in a week and NOW I know I will bring my blacklight flashlight and amber glasses. They will show anything human the eyes cannot see. Yikes!

Black light [emoji51] I use a high tech one to occasionally scan the house for scorpions [emoji889] and of course I see every grain of dust and other icky stuff the naked eye can't see

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There hasn't been 2 stewards in a long time (since before the days of the Love Boat). On some ships, there is an assistant steward who may help several stewards with their cabins (sometimes for training purposes). We had this on the Royal in 2014.

That said, I'll possibly give the steward a pass on the initial issue. Absent visual evidence, if they just stripped the sheets and dropped new ones on, it can take a bit for urine to soak up from a mattress (anyone with kids or pets may be familiar with this). I blame the prior occupant more for that part, assuming they didn't admit to it. But once reported, the immediate, immediate response should be a new fresh mattress and linens without question and a cleansing of the bed frame and possibly carpet near the area.

As far as the toilet goes, that happens so often on ships, that the treat and letter is the standard response. Stinks when its your cabin, especially since it is probably due to someone near you flushing things they shouldn't.

Side note - if you ever want to learn about a frustrating job, talk to a ship plumber/engineer for a while - what they pull out of there is ridiculous, and unless it happens right at the junction into the system, there's generally no way to tell who is doing it to get them to stop.

Two years ago on the Ruby went to the theatre for a behind the scenes tour. A long lecture had just ended.

Sat down and I told my husband "this seat feels really cold". Sat a few minutes then realized it felt wet.

Someone had peed on the seat. It was soaked. My white pants were now yellow on the bottom.

Ran back to cabin, stripped down, showered, threw my pants in the shower too. It was the last sea day before we got off the ship.

Now I always feel the seat in theatre or anywhere else on a ship before I sit down.

As far as our mattresses in the cabin, I try not to think of what may have been there before we arrived.

On a recent Ruby cruise (last month), they have the newer mattresses and linens. The bedding is not an improvement over previous. Instead of a Duvet cover on the comforter there is two sheets wrapped around it.

They come undone easily during the night and the comforter is exposed. I asked the room steward for the old Duvets but they no longer have them on the ship. I hope those comforters get changed between cruisers.

I also checked out the mattress. Except for a sheet over it, no mattress pad. I noticed the mattress (has been there for a little over a year) was pretty dirty . So no wonder there are germs spread on ships.

Two years ago on the Ruby went to the theatre for a behind the scenes tour. A long lecture had just ended.

Sat down and I told my husband "this seat feels really cold". Sat a few minutes then realized it felt wet.

Someone had peed on the seat. It was soaked. My white pants were now yellow on the bottom.

Ran back to cabin, stripped down, showered, threw my pants in the shower too. It was the last sea day before we got off the ship.

Now I always feel the seat in theatre or anywhere else on a ship before I sit down.

As far as our mattresses in the cabin, I try not to think of what may have been there before we arrived.

On a recent Ruby cruise (last month), they have the newer mattresses and linens. The bedding is not an improvement over previous. Instead of a Duvet cover on the comforter there is two sheets wrapped around it.

They come undone easily during the night and the comforter is exposed. I asked the room steward for the old Duvets but they no longer have them on the ship. I hope those comforters get changed between cruisers.

I also checked out the mattress. Except for a sheet over it, no mattress pad. I noticed the mattress (has been there for a little over a year) was pretty dirty . So no wonder there are germs spread on ships.

Couple of months ago, on celebrity solstice, we were seated for dinner in the MDR. Formal night no less. I started to feel "funny". Kind of.. moist.

Insert hand under my butt, wet!!! Quick sniff... white wine. Luckily I was wearing a black gown.

With a great flourish, the waiter swooped in with another chair that he grabbed from an empty table.

The wet chair went... you guessed it! To the empty table???

As we kept an eagle eye on it, another part arrived to be seated, right into the same chair! It took some quick actions to stop the lady from plopping down in in, and had to call the head waiter over to re-explain the situation.

Wet chair? Ok, maybe. But putting it right back into use? That's just plain nuts.

And yeah, I smelled like a bar cleaning bucket for the rest of the evening :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone had peed on the seat.

We were on coral, sitting at the bar in the atrium.

There were a lot of tub chairs around, and people were sitting in them waiting for dinner.

A couple left. Shortly later, 2 maintenance guys came and hauled away the wet chair.

You meet the nicest people on ships...

I took my mother on the California coastal cruise on the Grand Princess out of San Francisco. Everything was fine until I went to bed after 10pm. I pulled back the blanket and I noticed that the bottom sheet looked wet. I asked my mother if her bed had the same rather large spot and it did not. When I touched the spot it was wet and when I smelled my hand, it smelled of urine! To say I was not happy, is an understatement. Someone from the front office came and inspected the bed. They sent a steward, to what he thought was simply a mission tohange the sheets. But I insisted that he take all the bedding out, including the mattress and bring all fresh bedding. (I did not get another of their new, fancy mattresses.I got one of the older, hard mattress.) Then during the week, we had to call the front desk at least 4 times to tell them that the toilet was not flushing. Their apology consisted of sending us a short note, saying they were sorry along with 4 chocolate dipped strawberries. I think part of the problem is because they have cut back on services. Instead of 2 cabin stewards per room, they now only have 1 and they are expected to turn the rooms around in a short amount of time. The sheets had not been slept in, so I know that the sheets had been changed, but the bed had not been checked to see if it was ready to be made up.

We have never had 2 cabin stewards on any of our Princess cruises. It has always been one. Any toilet issues were promptly fixed. We have always found our experience with Princess to be very satisfactory.

Paul

I'm old, and have sailed on the Grand Princess but I don't recall ever having two cabin stewards. When did you have 2 cabin stewards? How old are you?

Enjoy your cruise, and if God wills, grant you good health, and to live and not die before your next cruise.

"I cruise to stay healthy, and to have a slice of apple pie everyday before I die"

I'm old, and have sailed on the Grand Princess but I don't recall ever having two cabin stewards. When did you have 2 cabin stewards? How old are you?

Enjoy your cruise, and if God wills, grant you good health, and to live and not die before your next cruise.

"I cruise to stay healthy, and to have a slice of apple pie everyday before I die"

Sometimes they have a steward training a new guy.

It doesn't take much to affect a large block of cabins. One misflushed item can, depending on where it lodges, block up a quarter of an entire deck, and depending on where the block is can be a challenge to clear and cause unfortunate side effects like leaks and backups.

Plumbers can come and clear it one day, 2 hours later someone flushes something else something else and here we go again...

If you are ever in a position to, ask to see the collection of things pulled out of plumbing.. Every ship has one. The pulled some out in engineering on a UST once, there were dentures, toys, golf balls, sunglasses, a candle, etc (and that's just the non fabric stuff that can be cleaned)

We were on the Grand last month, and twice there were problems with the toilets. It affected a large section of the floor. There must be problems with the plumbing, but they fixed the problems in a short time period.

I am curious....how do you all suppose that the urine got on the bed? It should have been a freshly made bed! I do not blame the OP for wanting a complete new bed.

Sometimes the sheet can look dry because it has been exposed to the air, but urine has seeped into the mattress and that is still wet. Steward could have changed the sheets without noticing, they're in a hurry on turnover day. Especially if someone sits or lies on the bed, then the urine reappears.

I am sorry this story seems strange, we have been cruising the Grand every year for New Years... 2 years ago, the folks in the cabin next to us had kids who left the bath tub running and flooded their entire cabin, ours, the hall and who kowns where else... our cabin had to have a blower going to two days... Princess gave us a free dinner at the Crown Grill which we done even requested... figured it was the other passengers who caused the problem.. we have had excellent service on board... only one cabin steward per cabin, even for a mini suite...

Do you think it was the PAX before you that pee'd or pooped in their pants? Probably a PAX who was incontinent?

On cruises, I always carry a spray bottle of Lysol disinfectant in my satchel bag. Disenfect anything I have to sit on. I will move to another seat if the seat even smells like poop or pee. Especially in the theater.

I also bring this: https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/scorpion-master-28-led-uv-black-light-flashlight-16smruscrpnmstr28cac/16smruscrpnmstr28cac?camp=CSE:DSG_pg3184_ecom_PLA_452 to check out the bed mattress, bed sheets, and cabin / public toilet seat for human discharges. Then spray the Lysol.

Insist that your cabin steward change out the mattress, and sheets if you find remnants of human junk on them.

Hope you have better luck on your next cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

There was a mattress pad and it was replaced, also since the ship had just finished dry dock in December, it had all the new mattresses and linens. The mattresses did not look dirty.

Try the newer ships.