Royal Princess to move to California?

cruzrbachoua

So if this move goes ahead is it likely to change itineries. I'm booked on the Royal Sept 2018 for a TA, will I have a change of ship?

Until Princess makes an official announcement as to the timing (if this rumor is even true), it's impossible for any of us to know. However, if this move is to happen at the end of the 2018 European season, it is likely that the ship would get to the Pacific by sailing east via the Med and Suez Canal and therefore the TA would be cancelled. Since the scheduling of positioning cruises such as a TA is driven by the need to position a ship, if there is no ship to be moved, then there will be no cruise.

I also think that's a big factor with smaller ship's & those higher prices are also a result of having higher demand with not enough supply. Another pricing factor is they can go to areas where larger ships cannot go & for some passengers they're willing to pay more for that experience.

Reading CC posts smaller ships have a very dedicated following of passengers who much prefer the small ship's experience. Anytime we've considered the Pacific there were premium prices which I'm also seeing for an HAL cruise we're considering on their smaller Prinsendam.

I agree. The mass market lines are rarely using small ships anymore and if they have them they are making noise to get rid of them. The Pacific Princess and the HAL Prinsendam are good examples, we have been on both and love em.

Also, almost all of the high end so called "luxury" lines use small ships. Even the largest of those are still within the small ship category of 50,000 gross tons or less. Oceania has two ships in the sixty thousand range. You definitely pay a lot more for this type cruise experience. We have 120 days sailing on Regent but not in the last three years, as their pricing has went out of sight.

Oceania sort of surprised me lately though, it looks like they are trying to make a play for a larger percentage of faithful as their recent rates look good. Haven't been on them, but they are the sister line to Regent without being as all inclusive. Having (FDR) as their 32 million a year CEO makes me a tad nervous, although I have to admit, Frank Del Rio ran Regent when it became our favorite. He was co-head of Renaissance though, when it folded.

Noooooo.... Sent her to the Far East and bring back the Sapphire...

So glad there are others who feel the same way. Princess, please listen.

I'd be very happy if they deploy both ships to the West Coast.

I've flown to Europe to sail the Royal & Regal and would much prefer driving to the Port of LA to sail the Royal again.

In late March 2018 the Sapphire sails for a summer season around Europe before sailing for Singapore in late October 2018.

I was hopeful that the European deployment was the beginning of a return to the West Coast but no...back to Asia & unavailable to book from the US. So like the Royal & Regal, we're flying to Europe to sail the Sapphire. We last sailed her in January 2014 before deploying to Asia & glad we can sail her again...even if it means having fly to Europe in 2018. :ship:

I miss the Sapphire, but they changed her a lot before deployment to Japan, so she might not feel like the Sapphire if they did bring her back out here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Until Princess makes an official announcement as to the timing (if this rumor is even true), it's impossible for any of us to know. However, if this move is to happen at the end of the 2018 European season, it is likely that the ship would get to the Pacific by sailing east via the Med and Suez Canal and therefore the TA would be cancelled. Since the scheduling of positioning cruises such as a TA is driven by the need to position a ship, if there is no ship to be moved, then there will be no cruise.
Actually, Princess has been repositioning ships between FLL and the West Coast by sailing around South America.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I miss the Sapphire, but they changed her a lot before deployment to Japan, so she might not feel like the Sapphire if they did bring her back out here.

It was the Diamond that had the changes for the Japanese market. Sapphire is pretty much unchanged except for the addition of the upgraded TV system with expanded on demand programming and other features.

It was the Diamond that had the changes for the Japanese market. Sapphire is pretty much unchanged except for the addition of the upgraded TV system with expanded on demand programming and other features.

Oh. We last sailed on Sapphire before she left and they had redesigned some things that looked quite different, just little things I guess. Well, that is good to know that she hasn't changed significantly [emoji3] I loved that ship and the Diamond

OK, it's Monday morning just after 9AM at Princess HQ in Santa Clarita, California.

No changes showing yet on the Royal's schedule ... I suppose the coffee hasn't quite kicked in yet and the weekend stories are not finished on the West Coast.

I know I have been hounding my friend for updates and she says none yet...also been checking the princess site and the news section on CC...nada....:(

I've checked the same sources plus the CCL news release website but nada there either but it's still early in the day for me to read good news that this is true. ;)

The new itineraries for the Majestic's redeployment to Australia & NZ for 6 months is scheduled for next Monday at 1600 PDT so maybe that's the time the Royal's changes will be available today.

There might not be any changes to the current Royal schedule. The fourth Royal class ship won't enter service until the 2019 European season. The Royal could be doing the 2018-2019 Caribbean season and then repo around South America for the 2019 Alaska season as she is replaced in Europe by the fourth Royal class ship.

Yup...all they posted was royal to sail Mexico March 2019...doesn't say what homeport and doesn't say if it is just March or starting March 2019

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

That is consistent with the Royal doing the 2018/2019 Caribbean season ending with a repo around Cape Horn (or though the canal?) to arrive on the West Coast in March of 2019. This would have no impact on current 2018 sailings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know i am curious what homeport and what types of MR cruises. ..length and such. We were looking to do a 10 day out of SFO in October 2019 time frame. ..now depending on where this ship is may change our plans as we liked the regal. ..loved the inside sideways room..sooo much room.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app