NCL adding lifeguards to family pools

LMaxwell

Interesting. I don't understand why it's to little. You want them to put 2 life guards by the family pool? NCL is the third cruise line to implement life guards. Disney was the only line, as you would expect, until last year when Royal started too.

There was definitely lifeguards on MSC last year

Parents should watch their kids but I am saying (from sailing on DCL with lifeguards) that the lifeguards can't possibly know which kids belong to which parents. Their focus was pretty much directly on the pool and would call-out inappropriate behavior directly with the child.

What is too little? What else would you like? Most ships do not have lifeguards. I do think they should, because I find the pools on ships dangerous even for good swimmers, being deep and crowded.

Agreed on your statement. And with these cruise ships heavily pushing drinks, they should be providing life guards at the pools. I also think they should provide life jackets also. The pools are much smaller, deeper and more crowded than any resort pool I have ever been to. I am a firm believe that people should watch their children but things happen and I never understood why there wasn't a rack of life jackets available.

Mixed feelings on this.

I fear it will cause the already lax parents to be even more lax. the best lifeguards cant be watching every child at every second. The positive is that if someone is drowning someone with training will be immediately on hand to assist.

Of course costs will go up more than they already have.

The Breakaway drowning a few years back occurred at a time that the pool was closed and netted off. A lifeguard would not have helped in that situation.

Totally agree with more parents ignoring their children by relying on the lifeguards. I've seen too many parents not watch their kids at our neighborhood pool. I'm 100% sure one parent never saw the lifeguard rescue his son from the deep end...

Agreed on your statement. And with these cruise ships heavily pushing drinks, they should be providing life guards at the pools. I also think they should provide life jackets also. The pools are much smaller, deeper and more crowded than any resort pool I have ever been to. I am a firm believe that people should watch their children but things happen and I never understood why there wasn't a rack of life jackets available.

They are also adding vests for kids and adults. It would also help if the pools weren't so deep. It's insane for the adult pools on Breakaway, Getaway and Escape to be 6 feet 8 inches deep.

Only the Getaway, Breakaway, Epic, and Escape will have them this Summer. The rest will have them by early 2018.

I remember the Getaway having a lifeguard at the kids pool. If it wasn't an official lifeguard it at least was someone standing here watching.

Only the Getaway, Breakaway, Epic, and Escape will have them this Summer. The rest will have them by early 2018.

thanks for the update: what a great idea, it has been a long time coming. I wonder what other lines will follow? I see DLS and Royal are already using them. Some are saying, it is the parents responsibility to watch; of course it is, but adding a life guard is one more safety feature.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Where are all those "Internet Lawyers" who said NCL would "never do this!!1!" because of the "liability!!!!"?

They probably read up on the inadmissibility of "subsequent remedial action" to show negligence (I looked it up, Rule 407 in the Federal Rules of Evidence).

I think any line catering to families could use this enhanced safety measure in a promotional sense. The certified lifeguards, with their emergency medical training, may also help them with whatever quota of trained personnel they need. Plus, there should be less dead children. That's always a good thing.