Upgrading insanity.

My DW and I decided to upgrade from an ocean view to an ocean view with balcony, so I ring customer services. They've got a 30% discount and OBC offer, so we choose a cabin on deck 8, and then we work on the money.

I've already paid for our original booking, so he wants the balance of the new booking, less our payment.

He says can I hold, he will speak to reservations, then two minutes later comes back to the phone to tell me he can't give me the 30% off deal, as my original booking was a deal.

This sounds crazy, so I ask don't they want my money?

I give it a bit of thought and ask "if I cancel my original booking, will they refund my money?"

Yes, he says, less the £50 deposit.

"And then, I can have this new booking with the discount and OBC?"

Yes, he says.

So I'm prepared to lose £50 to get 30% off and $100 OBC.

So I can't upgrade, but I can cancel and rebook.

Madness!

If RCL is following the terms and conditions that the passenger agreed to when they first booked then the behaviour completely makes sense. The flip side here is that it's unreasonable to think they would do otherwise; while here the customer benefits in other situations they may not and it would be outrageous if policy was followed only when customers are disadvantaged.

The ticket clipping contributes to overall profitability and so implicitly is allowed for in all fares. The majority of customers are benefiting from this sort of thing.

My DW and I decided to upgrade from an ocean view to an ocean view with balcony, so I ring customer services. They've got a 30% discount and OBC offer, so we choose a cabin on deck 8, and then we work on the money.

I've already paid for our original booking, so he wants the balance of the new booking, less our payment.

He says can I hold, he will speak to reservations, then two minutes later comes back to the phone to tell me he can't give me the 30% off deal, as my original booking was a deal.

This sounds crazy, so I ask don't they want my money?

I give it a bit of thought and ask "if I cancel my original booking, will they refund my money?"

Yes, he says, less the £50 deposit.

"And then, I can have this new booking with the discount and OBC?"

Yes, he says.

So I'm prepared to lose £50 to get 30% off and $100 OBC.

So I can't upgrade, but I can cancel and rebook.

Madness!

This is fairly common with specials. Specials are usually for new bookings only.