Our cruise is allegedly overbooked..how does it happen?

hcat

Yes, it happened recently on a TA. Several pax were informed that the ship was overbooked and their cabins had been issued to others. X didn't ask (as Fishlover above quoted), they told the pax that they were no longer on the sailing. X did try and sort some alternatives after all the negative posts/comments. I'll find the link to the thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2483289&highlight=Bumped

Wow - that would be awful. Fortunately this is a very, very rare occurrence (being bumped because of a charter not as rare - but you have more notice than this). The cruise line generally saves a cabin or two or three in case they are needed for emergencies (such as a cabin suddenly becoming uninhabitable for some reason) so that makes it even more unusual that a number of people would be bumped. I hope this is not a trend for the future. I would be one very unhappy camper if I was bumped last minute like this or switched to a cabin I was not fond of.

I wish Celebrity would post why they do this.

Yes, it happened recently on a TA. Several pax were informed that the ship was overbooked and their cabins had been issued to others. X didn't ask (as Fishlover above quoted), they told the pax that they were no longer on the sailing. X did try and sort some alternatives after all the negative posts/comments. I'll find the link to the thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2483289&highlight=Bumped

I wish Celebrity would post why they do this.

I'm sorry. I don't believe all the facts have been told in that case. I stand by my comments and that is, as far as I know, exactly how Celebrity works.

I do think there may be a very rare occasion when a specific cabin is either commandeered (which I would generally not agree with) or becomes uninhabitable for some reason. When that happens, and the passengers can not be moved, then they are offered an accommodation for the inconvenience.

That is NOT what the OP in this thread is describing or talking about. His cruise is over 7 months in the future.

Has anyone ever actually been bumped from an overbooked cruise? I know people can get bumped when someone charters the ship (happened to us 6 months out - we were NOT happy to say the least as it was spring break). But I am talking overbooking that is not a charter (which it seems this is not). Has it ever happened to anyone??

There are threads about overbooking/bumping every now and then on the Princess board. These "move over offers" are usually at the last minute (a week or less before departure) as the cruise lines wait for any cancellations to come through. They have a system of calling people with the "offers" until they find enough people to accept. From what I've read, the offers are usually very good, including full refunds in exchange for another sail date and generous stateroom upgrades.

A friend of ours who lives in San Francisco was booked on a 10 night Princess cruise round trip SF to Alaska. He was in an inside cabin and was called by Princess the day before departure and offered a full refund and free cruise if he could wait and take the next sail date 10 days later. Being retired, he happily took the offer. He needed an accessible cabin which they supplied for him on the next sailing, along with a generous shipboard credit.

Since he lives in San Francisco, he was a good "target" for the offer since his travel didn't include air and/or hotel accommodations.

I'm sorry. I don't believe all the facts have been told in that case. I stand by my comments and that is, as far as I know, exactly how Celebrity works.

I do think there may be a very rare occasion when a specific cabin is either commandeered (which I would generally not agree with) or becomes uninhabitable for some reason. When that happens, and the passengers can not be moved, then they are offered an accommodation for the inconvenience.

That is NOT what the OP in this thread is describing or talking about. His cruise is over 7 months in the future.

When I (op) raised this issue, there had been a few contemporaneous threads about overbooked Celebrity cruise(s), bumping and very short notice. As I recall, most of the situations worked out.

I and roll call members, were concerned because our cruise was pulled off the booking schedule for awhile as "overbooked",.., there apparently is a large group booking...we've been told all ok now..only inside rooms are available. Hope all is going to run smoothly....but I did learn alot about cruise line overbooking in the process,

Edited by hcat

This is one group onboard your cruise, but they comprise a relatively small group, (around 40-80) and we've been on twice before when this group has been on board and they are a lot of fun. Very interesting and very low key.

http://www.cruise-eta.com/event/motorcycle-cruise-126-204-2018/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's s nice group. There are others as well from various communities and chairities but the big unknown was described as a large Greek group. No one found out what it is if it exists.....although Royal C has a large Greek cultural group booked around that time.

So far looks like our Silhouette cruise is safe but u never know.

• 1 month later...

With several groups on board, including the possible mystery large group no one knows of, less chance many will cancel.

Only learned recently that cruise lines overbook like airlines...