Our cruise is allegedly overbooked..how does it happen?

hcat

YAY...Our Silhouette 1/26/18 cruise has re appeared on the Celeb website.,insides are only categ available. Taking this as good sign we won't be cancelled, bumped or chartered out,,,

(Thinking maybe Azamara would have fewer large groups and thus fewer overbooked itins??)

The Azamara ships are small enough that these groups charter the entire ship -- and then sometimes people with booked cabins are thrown off. So no win either way.

Thanks for the info. I took another look at AZ...but appears not all the itins are RT...some look nice..but higher price is also a factor Hearing they get cancelled too for charters was a negative.

Hard to escape charters and large groups...and unpredictable. We have enjoyed cruising as a couple all these years,..never booked a group or special interest cruise...have met a great variety of people but like our independence...

Keep hoping our Silho is a go,,,.got a great price for 9 days in AQ .. not many of the Celeb itins were very exciting for 2018, and 2019 for us will be Edge which is more about the ship than the ports..Will probably throw in something on Royal C for variety...

Can someone please explain Code Yellow?

Possibly overbooked but not cancelled or chartered...yet inside cabins are still offered for sale. Does that mean guarantees are overbooked or are actual cabins double booked???

Is this another Celebrity snafu or par for the course????

We booked early on for the week we wanted at a great price..one perk only... to celebrate a special birthday. We selected AQ and the stateroom we wanted,..not part of a group...hope we get to enjoy it!

I read on a blog that the whole cruise was slowly being taken over by one group of CODE RED chub chasing motorcycle bears, and another group of CODE PURPLE Greek Peg-Legged Sea Captains (some with emotional support parrots) . It won't be a pretty sight

Edited by johhnnyt

We have laid out money for the cruise deposit, pre cruise hotel res, pre-booked excursions, working on dining res, making sure our pet sitter is available, getting to Fl. Alot of work and hopeful anticipation.

We went through the Infinity dingle dangle last year and charter cancellations previously. Hearing about possible charters, bumps etc is concerning. The threads about the Summit demonstrate that it is hard to make other plans,

Moving on to plan our Oct cruise activities...hope that ship is not sold before we go,...

Agree, it's more about 'standard practice' rather than legislation. Basically, we have accepted it. Furthermore, why do some cruise lines accept UK pax booking with US TAs and others don't (btw, X and Royal do)? Can't be a legislative issue - must be because the terms favour the cruise line more.

Here in the UK, it is commonly known as "Rip-off Britain". Higher prices than US on many items, cars, computers etc. etc.

• 5 weeks later...

Yesterday got notice of MOVEOVER option for our Regal Princess Cruise leaving in one week. They are "slightly overbooked". They sent out the meail twice so wonder how much is slightly.

I read on a blog that the whole cruise was slowly being taken over by one group of CODE RED chub chasing motorcycle bears, and another group of CODE PURPLE Greek Peg-Legged Sea Captains (some with emotional support parrots) . It won't be a pretty sight

LOL, how speculative of you...

bon voyage

Here in the UK, it is commonly known as "Rip-off Britain". Higher prices than US on many items, cars, computers etc. etc.

I think most of the higher prices may be due to currency exchange and not specific to UK....

bon voyage

I have not read every single post on this thread so my apologies if I am repeating.

Has anyone ever actually been bumped from an overbooked cruise? I know people can get bumped when someone charters the ship (happened to us 6 months out - we were NOT happy to say the least as it was spring break). But I am talking overbooking that is not a charter (which it seems this is not). Has it ever happened to anyone??

We are booked on Silhouette Jan 26 2018..great ship & great itin.Can't wait!

Recently learned there's a small group booked plus a very large group, plus the rest of us.

Cruise is now removed from sale listings, but still appears on our My Cruises list. TAs have been advised the ship is sold out, but no wait list established. We and a roll call member were told it is OVERBOOKED.

X assures it is not chartered and our long standing booked res will be honored and eventually the sailing will return on the listings.

We are wondering how this can happen? (more common these days?)

How will X resolve overbooking? Will they bump non group res and if so how do they decide...and when? We booked early so we paid less.,will they dump us for someone who paid more? Do those who booked a specific stateroom take preference over those with just a category guarantee?

Hope it gets resolved without bumping but in view of recent bump isues...these questions do come to mind..despite assurances we are all OK.....Sort of takes away some of the joyful anticipation.

This is 7 months away. Final payment is not yet due. You, and everyone else knows, that many people will cancel when faced with final payment. Cruise lines (and air lines) allow specific trips to be overbooked by a certain percentage. When that number is reached, the listing is taken away. When people drop out, it will appear again.

This is not unusual. Very common. If for some unusual reason the trip remains overbooked, then Celebrity will offer incentives to people to reschedule. If the passengers refuse, then they move on to the next people.

I have not read every single post on this thread so my apologies if I am repeating.

Has anyone ever actually been bumped from an overbooked cruise? I know people can get bumped when someone charters the ship (happened to us 6 months out - we were NOT happy to say the least as it was spring break). But I am talking overbooking that is not a charter (which it seems this is not). Has it ever happened to anyone??

Yes, it happened recently on a TA. Several pax were informed that the ship was overbooked and their cabins had been issued to others. X didn't ask (as Fishlover above quoted), they told the pax that they were no longer on the sailing. X did try and sort some alternatives after all the negative posts/comments. I'll find the link to the thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2483289&highlight=Bumped