Concierge Lounge - I wish we could ban political discussions!

We have started going to the lounge at 4:30 to avoid a couple of blowhards on board who need to bleat about their country's politics. I guess nobody told them about avoiding discussion of politics, sex, and religion with people you don't know! The Concierge Lounge used to be a quiet dignified place for conversation. Not on this cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I used to enjoy discussions about current affairs with people I met from different parts of the world. But now I avoid it at all costs. Too many people that have forgotten how to discuss and only want to convince or, failing that, point out my shortcomings for not sharing their belief.

I want to relax on my cruise. Not have to defend myself. I've been known to offer to buy someone a drink if they'll change the subject.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I enjoy politics, religion, philosophy discussions and discuss them every day. Most people who have these discussions only want to hear their own opinions parroted back to them, but occasionally you find an actual thinker.

That said, if you don't want to listen to them.. go elsewhere. They probably do not want to hear about whatever you are talking with your friends about either.

I enjoy politics, religion, philosophy discussions and discuss them every day. Most people who have these discussions only want to hear their own opinions parroted back to them, but occasionally you find an actual thinker.

That said, if you don't want to listen to them.. go elsewhere. They probably do not want to hear about whatever you are talking with your friends about either.

I was on one cruise where i was pleased we left a good tip daily in the Diamond lounge because on the second last night we got lumbered with an absolute bore who was only interested in himself.We managed to avoid other nights but this night we got lumbered.

My point was we did not go into our favourite Diamond lounge the last night because of him but at least by tipping $10 a night at least the waiter didn't miss out like we did.

43 cruises and counting.

Well I am happy to live and cruise in a free world where we can express our opinions freely and there is no restrictions on when and where we can voice our opinions.

I certainly don´t share your wish.

If I´m not happy with certain People and their opinioons I just excuse myself and move on.

Well I am happy to live and cruise in a free world where we can express our opinions freely and there is no restrictions on when and where we can voice our opinions.

I certainly don´t share your wish.

If I´m not happy with certain People and their opinioons I just excuse myself and move on.

The Diamond lounge was full plus we didn't want to be rude and I'm sure while reading this thread other people feel the same as us when people are overpowering with their views.

43 cruises and counting.

I'm with you on this. If you can find someone who actually thinks about things these types of discussions are enjoyable, educational, and enlightening.

I try to avoid having 'discussions' with "Cable News Parrots".

I'm with you on this. If you can find someone who actually thinks about things these types of discussions are enjoyable, educational, and enlightening.

I try to avoid having 'discussions' with "Cable News Parrots".

Usually the conversation you don't want is not always obvious until you have been in conversation with someone for 10 minutes because they don't want to frighten you off too soon.

43 cruises and counting.

I see nothing wrong in asking someone to move onto a different topic if you are uncomfortable with the discussion at hand. If their reply is amiable all the better if not just excuse yourself to another location.

Question? What is ruder getting up immediately and walking away or telling the person to change the subject.

Personally we would speak for a while then make an excuse to leave but it is awkward in DL,CL or SL especially if it is full.

When we can we try to keep our own company because we are dealing with people through our jobs all day and spend several hours after work looking after my wifes 95 year old mam who lives at home with my wife's brother as she has vascular dementia and Alzheimer's so our time is important to us.

43 cruises and counting.

Question? What is ruder getting up immediately and walking away or telling the person to change the subject.

I guess both can be handled in a rude and in a not rude manner. I can try to steer the conversation in a different direction, or I could excuse myself with a number of reasons as to why I have to leave. Show, dinner, Meeting with friends .....

I guess both can be handled in a rude and in a not rude manner. I can try to steer the conversation in a different direction, or I could excuse myself with a number of reasons as to why I have to leave. Show, dinner, Meeting with friends .....

Probably the best way to handle situation.

43 cruises and counting.

OP never said they were part of the conversation. Sounds more like they overheard it. I never get these posts because once passengers start deciding what others can discuss amongst themselves, then that rises to censorship. I have never encountered anyone in the DL or CL who does what OP said. It's a pretty isolated event. Heck, the only time someone tried to cram their politics down our throats (and basically dared us to disagree with them) was when our tablemates did in 2009 in the MDR. If someone tries to discuss it with you and you don't want to then just tell them you'd rather not discuss it. Pretty simple.

OP also lives in Canada so assuming they're talking US politics, why do they care?

BTW, just because you don't agree with someone's politics doesn't mean they're wrong and you're right or that they're a "blowhard". People are too sensitive.

Edited by BND

If someone was rude enough to berate me with their political views, then I'm 100% ok with being rude and walking away. Yes, it is rude to talk about subjects others don't want talk about.

There may be some people who are honestly interested in politics or whatever subject they want to talk about, but IMHO, most times these people are just trying to find other people in their tribe and be judgemental to those who are not.

But this is one reason we never try to meet people in either of the lounges.

It's a public place. If you here something you don't like. You don't have to be there.

If someone is talking to loud (about anything) it's fine to ask to tone it down. But as to the subject they have as much right to the space as you do.

When you are in your cabin you can control what you hear. In public it sounds to me like a case of ""free speech is fine as long as you agree with me".

If someone was rude enough to berate me with their political views, then I'm 100% ok with being rude and walking away. Yes, it is rude to talk about subjects others don't want talk about.

There may be some people who are honestly interested in politics or whatever subject they want to talk about, but IMHO, most times these people are just trying to find other people in their tribe and be judgemental to those who are not.

But this is one reason we never try to meet people in either of the lounges.

TBH we think the same.

43 cruises and counting.

It's a public place. If you here something you don't like. You don't have to be there.

If someone is talking to loud (about anything) it's fine to ask to tone it down. But as to the subject they have as much right to the space as you do.

When you are in your cabin you can control what you hear. In public it sounds to me like a case of ""free speech is fine as long as you agree with me".

If the conversation is quiet its ok but sometimes people are quite loud and when everyone hears in a small lounge it can be uncomfortable.

43 cruises and counting.

Usually the conversation you don't want is not always obvious until you have been in conversation with someone for 10 minutes because they don't want to frighten you off too soon.

43 cruises and counting.

And them you just brush them off and be on your way.

Actually, the best one of these was a time I was paired with an older gentleman for an 18 hole round of golf. It took not very long that we were polar opposites in a lot of things. I was afraid I'd be stuck with him for hours (I’m sure he felt the same way ;)) It turned out the he wasn't a 'Cable New Parrot" and was a pretty insightful guy. We had a great time discussing politics, U.S. Canada relations, socialized medicine, gun control, who invested basketball, etc. I learned a lot and he learned a lot. And we both shot pretty good golf scores. :D A win, win, kind of day.

Political discussions are easy.

During and election: Simply tell everyone you are a felon and legally aren't allowed to vote. This will quickly end the political discussion because they want to know what you did.

After the election: Agree with everything the person says, and parrot it back to them. They will quickly get bored because they want you to disagree with them so they can correct your wrong thinking.

Both tactics work for which ever party is currently screwing everything up.

We have started going to the lounge at 4:30 to avoid a couple of blowhards on board who need to bleat about their country's politics. I guess nobody told them about avoiding discussion of politics, sex, and religion with people you don't know! The Concierge Lounge used to be a quiet dignified place for conversation. Not on this cruise.

There are plenty of countries throughout the world that ban politicial conversation and dissent. Maybe the ship could drop you off at one of those? You may have to sacrifice some of your other freedoms but at least you won't have to listen to the "blowhards".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are plenty of countries throughout the world that ban politicial conversation and dissent. Maybe the ship could drop you off at one of those? You may have to sacrifice some of your other freedoms but at least you won't have to listen to the "blowhards".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Op is not advocating stifling free speech. Maybe what the Op should say to these so called know it all or as you identified them as "blowhards" to go to hell or go the promenade and orate to the masses their personal political orientation. Compete with the fake sales. LOL

Hi Sally

Where does it say in house rules, we cannot chat about Politics, Sex and Religion

We have had some amazing conversations with people we have met in the Lounges, and sometimes you do not agree with their views and opinions but that makes us proud to live in countries where democracy and free speech it tolerated

I note, you did not mention the other topic that is always discussed ---- " well I have done xx cruises, how many have you done"

If ever you want to talk about sex, give us a call :D - Only kidding, life would be dull without humour

Hi Sally

Where does it say in house rules, we cannot chat about Politics, Sex and Religion

We have had some amazing conversations with people we have met in the Lounges, and sometimes you do not agree with their views and opinions but that makes us proud to live in countries where democracy and free speech it tolerated

I note, you did not mention the other topic that is always discussed ---- " well I have done xx cruises, how many have you done"

If ever you want to talk about sex, give us a call :D - Only kidding, life would be dull without humour

There was a post sometime back, forget the line, but the poster recounted that on the first night of late traditional dinning, that as soon as the table was fully seated, one gentleman introduced himself and said the following: "This is my 20th cruise and I've learned that dinner is much more enjoyable if certain topics are off limits. Therefore, there will be no discussion of politics, religion, or money."

I would have told him that if he wanted to be the king of a table, he should request a table for one.