Concierge Lounge - I wish we could ban political discussions!

I note, you did not mention the other topic that is always discussed ---- " well I have done xx cruises, how many have you done"

Yes, yes, yes! These are the ones I always want to avoid. The ones who want to tell you every detail of their last ten cruises and the next ten they have booked. Get me outta there fast!

It's a public place. If you here something you don't like. You don't have to be there.

If someone is talking to loud (about anything) it's fine to ask to tone it down. But as to the subject they have as much right to the space as you do.

When you are in your cabin you can control what you hear. In public it sounds to me like a case of ""free speech is fine as long as you agree with me".

I should clarify. I didn't just mean other people! I was kind of blaming myself for getting sucked into it. This conversation started as a friendly "getting to know you discussion" where we were talking about invasive/endangered species in Australia with another couple and a man sitting near us. My husband and I were explaining how my family saved an endangered species in Canada. The other couple became so loud and abusive we had to move. As in the man literally said he would shoot me!

And the Concierge Lounge isn't really a public place. I've paid for my right to be there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There was a post sometime back, forget the line, but the poster recounted that on the first night of late traditional dinning, that as soon as the table was fully seated, one gentleman introduced himself and said the following: "This is my 20th cruise and I've learned that dinner is much more enjoyable if certain topics are off limits. Therefore, there will be no discussion of politics, religion, or money."

I would have told him that if he wanted to be the king of a table, he should request a table for one.

Now he is someone i would not want to speak to.

43 cruises and counting.

I should clarify. I didn't just mean other people! I was kind of blaming myself for getting sucked into it. This conversation started as a friendly "getting to know you discussion" where we were talking about invasive/endangered species in Australia with another couple and a man sitting near us. My husband and I were explaining how my family saved an endangered species in Canada. The other couple became so loud and abusive we had to move. As in the man literally said he would shoot me!

And the Concierge Lounge isn't really a public place. I've paid for my right to be there.

I definitely would not want to speak to them they sound like lowlife to threaten to shoot you.

43 cruises and counting.

If someone threatened to shoot me, I would not be complaining on Cruise Critic. I would be talking to the Concierge and Security about having this person removed from the lounge and possibly the ship. If they were that loud and abusive, I would have expected someone in authority to deal with it immediately.

If someone threatened to shoot me, I would not be complaining on Cruise Critic. I would be talking to the Concierge and Security about having this person removed from the lounge and possibly the ship. If they were that loud and abusive, I would have expected someone in authority to deal with it immediately.

But he was also drunk and I was pretty sure he didn't have a gun on him.

But he was also drunk and I was pretty sure he didn't have a gun on him.

Concierge should deal with him, if he can't control his alcohol, he should be shut off. No way I would put up with a loud drunk. If he is that loud and obnoxious, you can't be the only one complaining about him.

On my recent Allure cruise I was seated next to a woman in the DL who made a couple disparaging political comments which were 180 degrees opposite of my views. I said nothing but maintained eye contact. She got the idea and the topic quickly changed. I agree with the OP on this.

You are right they should have reported them.

43 cruises and counting.

Did anyone else overhear him say it? If someone literally said they would shoot me you better believe it would be reported. Is that what he actually said? Or did he say something similar? You left out a lot between the discussion about "endangered species" and his threat. How did it go from that to a political statement?

OP never said they were part of the conversation. Sounds more like they overheard it. I never get these posts because once passengers start deciding what others can discuss amongst themselves, then that rises to censorship. I have never encountered anyone in the DL or CL who does what OP said. It's a pretty isolated event. Heck, the only time someone tried to cram their politics down our throats (and basically dared us to disagree with them) was when our tablemates did in 2009 in the MDR. If someone tries to discuss it with you and you don't want to then just tell them you'd rather not discuss it. Pretty simple.

OP also lives in Canada so assuming they're talking US politics, why do they care?

BTW, just because you don't agree with someone's politics doesn't mean they're wrong and you're right or that they're a "blowhard". People are too sensitive.

Perhaps it's a failing in my upbringing but I took the OP's description literally. As in no, the OP was not part of the conversation but that the "blowhards" were loudly and rudely carrying on their discourse. I agree that I wouldn't care to have to listen to that.

Yes, they have the right to do that. I also have the right to not like it and say so, either there or in a forum.

As to the OP being Canadian and what do they care, I guess you have never heard Pierre Trudeau's comment that being Canada was like being a mouse sleeping with an elephant. Most Canadians of my acquaintance have a pretty good grasp and interest is US politics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did anyone else overhear him say it? If someone literally said they would shoot me you better believe it would be reported. Is that what he actually said? Or did he say something similar? You left out a lot between the discussion about "endangered species" and his threat. How did it go from that to a political statement?

He and his wife started to talk about the Delta Smelt in California. I know nothing about this issue so asked for more info. He said he'd like to shoot environmentalists who stop industry from expanding. I said sometimes there isn't a choice other than to stop industry while choices are designed and explained about how my family worked with the power transmission company for a good outcome.

Then he said he would have to shoot me AND the frogs we saved. I jokingly said it's not likely he would get his guns over the border and then I realized he wasn't joking. He said I'd better believe he could get them over the border if it was his rights that were being threatened. At that point my husband and I moved.

Another man sitting in between us came up to me the next day and apologized for not stepping in but thought the man might take a swing at him. I agreed that any response would have just escalated the issue.,

If someone starts with a polarizing topic I wave my hand off with a nahhhhh and say "who wants to discuss that?" and switch topics to things like things to do on our port stops, or discussing if they liked the shows onboard, etc. I'm not going to sit through an awkward conversation about politics or religion, etc. I've found it's generally easy change topics. Many people mean well and are just trying to start conversations.

He and his wife started to talk about the Delta Smelt in California. I know nothing about this issue so asked for more info. He said he'd like to shoot environmentalists who stop industry from expanding. I said sometimes there isn't a choice other than to stop industry while choices are designed and explained about how my family worked with the power transmission company for a good outcome.

Then he said he would have to shoot me AND the frogs we saved. I jokingly said it's not likely he would get his guns over the border and then I realized he wasn't joking. He said I'd better believe he could get them over the border if it was his rights that were being threatened. At that point my husband and I moved.

Another man sitting in between us came up to me the next day and apologized for not stepping in but thought the man might take a swing at him. I agreed that any response would have just escalated the issue.,

I'd have the concierge call security at the time so I could do a written complaint. No way would I allow someone to casually threaten me like that and try to pass it off as conversational. You never know if someone is actually crazy enough to follow up on their chatter.

If someone starts with a polarizing topic I wave my hand off with a nahhhhh and say "who wants to discuss that?" and switch topics to things like things to do on our port stops, or discussing if they liked the shows onboard, etc. I'm not going to sit through an awkward conversation about politics or religion, etc. I've found it's generally easy change topics. Many people mean well and are just trying to start conversations.

Now those topics we can all talk about.

43 cruises and counting.

I'd have the concierge call security at the time so I could do a written complaint. No way would I allow someone to casually threaten me like that and try to pass it off as conversational. You never know if someone is actually crazy enough to follow up on their chatter.

Me too.Possession of a gun Carries a 5 year prison sentence in the UK

Report him he has no place sharing a lounge with decent people.

43 cruises and counting.

Me too.Possession of a gun Carries a 5 year prison sentence in the UK

Report him he has no place sharing a lounge with decent people.

43 cruises and counting.

LOL. They're running around Paris with AK-47's. Do you really give a hoot what the prison sentence will be? :rolleyes:

The Op is not advocating stifling free speech. Maybe what the Op should say to these so called know it all or as you identified them as "blowhards" to go to hell or go the promenade and orate to the masses their personal political orientation. Compete with the fake sales. LOL

The headline of the topic was "I wish we could ban political discussions". I merely pointed out that there were plenty of places in the world where political discussions were banned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, that escalated quickly! Not acceptable, should report to crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First off, if he threatened you with violence... report it. This applies to anyone, anywhere... if anyone ever threatens you then you need to report it. Something may or may not be done about it, but at least there will be a record of it.

Secondly, this IS a public space in legal terms. Yes, you paid to be there... but so did the other guest. Furthermore, it is a public space on private property so RCL could establish some guidelines (there are a lot of laws that could affect the guidelines) but you do not have a right to shut someone up.

Third, I doubt your story. I am not saying that you are lying about him threatening you or the conflict between his anti-environmental views and your pro-environmental views..... what I am suggesting is that you left out a portion of the story between you guys disagreeing and then him getting mad enough to threaten you. I don't know if there was a portion there.... but I strongly suspect it.