Federal Shutdown and closing of National Parks, what if?

Nhsaltshaker

After the last government shutdown all laid off employees got reimbursed for lost pay fortunately. If we have another shutdown, federal employees laid off will get another paid vacation.

As retired federal employees, I can promise you that the last thing that my DH and I wanted was a "paid vacation" courtesy of a shutdown. Since we both worked for Uncle Sam, that meant no money coming in to our household. It is a very stressful situation at best since there is never any way of knowing how long a shutdown will last and when you can expect the back pay or even if Congress will decide to approve the back pay. Or in our case, since we worked for DOD, we worked for no pay with the expectation that we would eventually get paid. Not everyone who works for the government in that situation goes home and gets a free paid vacation. In 2013, when the government enacted sequester, we were forced to take unpaid furlough days. Even if you had leave on the books, you could not use it and get paid for the days. Our family lost a significant amount of income that year.

As retired federal employees, I can promise you that the last thing that my DH and I wanted was a "paid vacation" courtesy of a shutdown. Since we both worked for Uncle Sam, that meant no money coming in to our household. It is a very stressful situation at best since there is never any way of knowing how long a shutdown will last and when you can expect the back pay or even if Congress will decide to approve the back pay. Or in our case, since we worked for DOD, we worked for no pay with the expectation that we would eventually get paid. Not everyone who works for the government in that situation goes home and gets a free paid vacation. In 2013, when the government enacted sequester, we were forced to take unpaid furlough days. Even if you had leave on the books, you could not use it and get paid for the days. Our family lost a significant amount of income that year.

Thank you, bunny1954. The 2013 shutdown was terrifying in the area I live (Metropolitan DC). Essential Federal employees were required to work without pay. Home-owners were taking out second mortgages to keep going. Loans officers had to turn down federal employees because the housing crisis had wiped out any equity they may have had, and now they were at risk of losing their homes. Some people never recovered. It was no vacation, Voyagr. Far from.

Home-owners were taking out second mortgages to keep going. Loans officers had to turn down federal employees because the housing crisis had wiped out any equity they may have had, and now they were at risk of losing their homes. Some people never recovered.

It would seem that the recession would have more to do with losing homes rather than a 16 day federal shutdown.

It would seem that the recession would have more to do with losing homes rather than a 16 day federal shutdown.

2013 was not a 16 day shutdown that we eventually got paid back for. It was forced furlough days due to the sequester that was enacted as part of the federal budget that we completely lost pay for. Between my DH and I, we lost pay that was the equivalent of 4 mortgage payments. That's a significant sum for a family to lose. Since it was just the two of us, we were luckier than most and managed to tighten our belts and make it thru. Other families were not so lucky.

They had survived the recession; only to have the rug pulled out from under them by their government.

2013 was not a 16 day shutdown that we eventually got paid back for. It was forced furlough days due to the sequester that was enacted as part of the federal budget that we completely lost pay for. Between my DH and I, we lost pay that was the equivalent of 4 mortgage payments. That's a significant sum for a family to lose. Since it was just the two of us, we were luckier than most and managed to tighten our belts and make it thru. Other families were not so lucky.

I don't get your math. 16 days of pay is a little over 3 weeks of pay, so approx 3/4 of a month's income. IF this is equal to 4 mortgage payments then your payments are a pretty low percentage of your income. For some it could be more than half lost.

I was also a government worker, who also had a furlough for 10 working days. This was all paid back at my retirement at my current rate. I know there are people who live paycheck to paycheck. (I don't know how). But I wouldn't think they'd be taking cruises or vacation either.

I don't get your math. 16 days of pay is a little over 3 weeks of pay, so approx 3/4 of a month's income. IF this is equal to 4 mortgage payments then your payments are a pretty low percentage of your income. For some it could be more than half lost.

I was also a government worker, who also had a furlough for 10 working days. This was all paid back at my retirement at my current rate. I know there are people who live paycheck to paycheck. (I don't know how). But I wouldn't think they'd be taking cruises or vacation either.

Hey budgetqueen, totally random question here. For a 5 hour glacier trek I noticed on another thread you wrote you don't like your jeans on the glacier since they get wet and stay with. I completely agree with you there. But you didn't need the long underwear? My concern is just if it's gonna be windy. I was thinking nylon long underwear, my nylon/polyester hike pants over, and then my contemplating wearing rain pants as my last layer, or would I be too sweaty with the rain pants. Mind you I can always unzip the rain pants...thoughts on this?