Laundry Service on Holland America

Reagan0712

55 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

The old posts discussed the unlimited being cheaper if purchased before boarding and that the cost was per stateroom not per person. Are those still the case?  If so, where do I sign up online as I don’t see it. 

Also, how big is the laundry bag? And how much does it cost now?  Is it paper? (like Norwegian’s) How often is it offered on a 7 night cruise? On a 15 night cruise? 

We are close to booking a b2b for a total of 21 days so trying to figure out the best plan. 
TIA!

The cloth laundry bag with cinch closure will be large enough to hold the clothing for two people and a bit more.  Room Stewards will pick up laundry twice per day (dinnertime and breakfast time) when your stateroom is refreshed.

There is no need to sign up online.  The laundry list and bag will be hanging in your closet.  Complete the form and select "Unlimited" on your first submission on Embarkation Day. In the first two days, with submitting two bags per day, all of my clothing will be wrinkle-free for the duration of every cruise.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

The old posts discussed the unlimited being cheaper if purchased before boarding and that the cost was per stateroom not per person. Are those still the case?  If so, where do I sign up online as I don’t see it. 

Also, how big is the laundry bag? And how much does it cost now?  Is it paper? (like Norwegian’s) How often is it offered on a 7 night cruise? On a 15 night cruise? 

We are close to booking a b2b for a total of 21 days so trying to figure out the best plan. 
TIA!

There is no saving for pre-purchase, nor is it necessary. You get the unlimited by checking that box on the laundry list the first time you turn it in -- it will be charged for the whole number of days whatever day you start on! $7/day ($9/day in Europe). Per stateroom not per person.

ETA: Once you have a booking you can find pre-purchase laundry under "packages and gifts" in the Cruise Activities dropdown on the Manage Your Booking screen. But the cost it the same.

The bag is cloth and really stuffable. About the size of a travel pillowcase, maybe half as big as a standard pillow case. You can turn one in any time, it is another check-box on the list. You still have to list the items and numbers thereof. You can put anything in it, unlike RCI where they only put small items like socks and t-shirts. The cost is $20/bag ($30 in Europe).

Here is a list of what I got in a bag in 2019 (have not heard that the size has changed!):

bag o laundry.JPG

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2

@Clay Clayton 

Attached is @Crew News's photo of the laundry list from June; under the itemized list are the three check-boxes for BAG, UNLIMITED LAUNDRY, and UNLIMITED PRESSING. There is no unlimited dry-cleaning. You don't need both Laundry and Pressing -- Laundry will be pressed or steamed and folded or hung (other check box).

Some thoughts on the choice. We are carry-on only travellers (with a couple exceptions in the past eight years). We re-wear unsoiled garments! And we do not take extra things "to have options". Everything we pack we intend to wear. We did a 26-day TransAtlantic+Mediterranean and I did everything by handwash in the sink -- even a pair or two of my husband's nylon cargo pants! That was an experiment I swore off!

At the time I was spooked about "Everything is going to be washed HOT and dried HOT and be RUINED."  Since then there have been numerous discussions on this board where HAL veterans (such as @kazu) have reassured people that writing in directions like "WARM wash and dry" are followed. Also if you had something truly delicate, the dry-cleaning by item is not more than cleaners on shore.

Subsequently, I have used the BAG on longer cruises. Pack socks and undies for 10 days, do a bag at the 7th or 8th day. Have never done the unlimited package, but I am looking forward to having that benefit after we make 4* Mariner next January! We would be able to pack even lighter -- with the bag you sorta want to fill the bag before sending it, so that 1/3 or 1/2 of your clothing is not available...

Laundry-List-pdf.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

The cloth laundry bag with cinch closure will be large enough to hold the clothing for two people and a bit more.  Room Stewards will pick up laundry twice per day (dinnertime and breakfast time) when your stateroom is refreshed.

There is no need to sign up online.  The laundry list and bag will be hanging in your closet.  Complete the form and select "Unlimited" on your first submission on Embarkation Day. In the first two days, with submitting two bags per day, all of my clothing will be wrinkle-free for the duration of every cruise.

48 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

There is no saving for pre-purchase, nor is it necessary. You get the unlimited by checking that box on the laundry list the first time you turn it in -- it will be charged for the whole number of days whatever day you start on! $7/day ($9/day in Europe). Per stateroom not per person.

ETA: Once you have a booking you can find pre-purchase laundry under "packages and gifts" in the Cruise Activities dropdown on the Manage Your Booking screen. But the cost it the same.

The bag is cloth and really stuffable. About the size of a travel pillowcase, maybe half as big as a standard pillow case. You can turn one in any time, it is another check-box on the list. You still have to list the items and numbers thereof. You can put anything in it, unlike RCI where they only put small items like socks and t-shirts. The cost is $20/bag ($30 in Europe).

Here is a list of what I got in a bag in 2019 (have not heard that the size has changed!):

bag o laundry.JPG

14 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

@Clay Clayton 

Attached is @Crew News's photo of the laundry list from June; under the itemized list are the three check-boxes for BAG, UNLIMITED LAUNDRY, and UNLIMITED PRESSING. There is no unlimited dry-cleaning. You don't need both Laundry and Pressing -- Laundry will be pressed or steamed and folded or hung (other check box).

Some thoughts on the choice. We are carry-on only travellers (with a couple exceptions in the past eight years). We re-wear unsoiled garments! And we do not take extra things "to have options". Everything we pack we intend to wear. We did a 26-day TransAtlantic+Mediterranean and I did everything by handwash in the sink -- even a pair or two of my husband's nylon cargo pants! That was an experiment I swore off!

At the time I was spooked about "Everything is going to be washed HOT and dried HOT and be RUINED."  Since then there have been numerous discussions on this board where HAL veterans (such as @kazu) have reassured people that writing in directions like "WARM wash and dry" are followed. Also if you had something truly delicate, the dry-cleaning by item is not more than cleaners on shore.

Subsequently, I have used the BAG on longer cruises. Pack socks and undies for 10 days, do a bag at the 7th or 8th day. Have never done the unlimited package, but I am looking forward to having that benefit after we make 4* Mariner next January! We would be able to pack even lighter -- with the bag you sorta want to fill the bag before sending it, so that 1/3 or 1/2 of your clothing is not available...

Laundry-List-pdf.jpg

Thanks so much to all. One more question for clarification-the same bag is used for both unlimited and the bag deal?