Laundry Service on Holland America

Reagan0712

You have 3 options with HAL ships laundry. (ignoring the few older ships that still have coin operated do-it-yourself laundries).

You can do an "ala carte " service, where you get billed for each piece you send out. Most expensive way.

You can do "Laundry by the Bag". That service is where you stuff all you possibly can into a pretty big bag, and the laundry will return it washed, pressed, on hangers or in a basket. $20 per bag in North America, $30 per bag in Europe. This service is offered on all ships.

Or, you can purchase the Unlimited laundry Package. With that plan, you can send out a bag full or just a pair of socks and it will be returned in the same way as above. If you ask for a 2nd bag from your cabin steward, you can fill that too. $7 per day for the total number of days of your cruise in North America, or $9 per day in Europe. (Don't ask why laundry on a ship costs more in Europe than North America. No one has been able to explain why.)

If you put the bag out early in the morning, many times, your clothes are returned the same day, around 5:00 pm. Or the next day. With any of the 3 methods, you cannot use it on the last day before disembarkation. Usually, the cutoff is the 2nd day before you leave the ship.

You can pre-purchase the "Unlimited" package by calling Ship's Services ahead of your cruise. That will be $7 per day, no matter where your cruise is sailing. If you purchase it on the ship, you will get hit with the $9 per day rate in Europe. Make sure you bring your pre-purchase receipt that HAL provides with you when you board.

To keep track of who's underwear is who's, the laundry puts little sticky strips on some of your pieces. They are still there when you receive them back. Make sure to pull them off carefully, they stick very well, and you could rip a very delicate article. But, it's fun, 6 months after the cruise, and you wonder what has been scratching you in your privates, and you find a laundry sticker from your last cruise. Fond memories.

Thank you...great info. Can you purchase it in advance calling ships services if you used a travel agent, or does the TA have to do it for you? We will be on a cruise in Europe for 14 days plus 4 days on land. $7/day would be worth it, $9/day not so much.

IMO, sending out "unmentionables" to the laundry and having them come back in a wicker basket folded in tissue is a special cruise experience. I would suggest you try sending some things that are not quite so delicate and then judge from there.

We were on an 18 day cruise on the Westerdam a few months ago & found the laundry service to be outstanding.

Of course my DH said he would prefer that once we got home he would like his underwear & socks in a wicker basket with tissue to continue...NOT .

We just got back from the Zaandam 5-week cruise around South America, and I'm not sure if this applies to all the ships - I think it was the same on Prinsendam in November, but now it seems as if they must be putting smaller stuff in a bag to wash it, as there were never labels on "unmentionables" or socks, etc. The things that needed pressing, shirts, skirts, etc., did have labels.

We always request "Cold water, please" but anything that I really want to hang to dry I wash myself.

The laundry service is quick and efficient - except when they shatter at least one button on several of DH's informal shirts. I think it can only happen during pressing/ironing and on one occasion meant that I had to replace all the buttons of a shirt when we got home because I couldn't find enough spares which were similar to the originals. :(

Lily

Quick question on the unlimited service. Is the $7 [$9] per stateroom or per person [per day]?

Also, I assume that any laundry charges, whether by-the-bag or unlimited, count towards Mariner spending points?

Per stateroom.

Oh, yes, the spending counts toward Mariner Days. Every little bit helps. ;)

Thank you...great info. Can you purchase it in advance calling ships services if you used a travel agent, or does the TA have to do it for you? We will be on a cruise in Europe for 14 days plus 4 days on land. $7/day would be worth it, $9/day not so much.

We always use our favorite TA. And we have had no problems contacting Ship's Services directly for things like the Laundry Package, distilled water for CPAP, or even MDR table requests. I think you must go through your TA if you are trying to make any changes to your cruise, upsell, cabin change, HAL Flights, etc. And yes, anything you spend onboard, even laundry by the bag or the unlimited package counts towards your Mariner spending credits.

Also, the Unlimited Laundry Package is $7 (or $9) per day for the whole cabin, not per guest in that cabin.

I used the self-serve laundry machines on the Veendam. Some of our clothes were stained when they came out of the wash. The ship was good about sending the stained articles to their laundrymaster and they came out better, but still didn't look as good as when they went in the washing machine. I had a similar experience on a different cruise line where my good quality clothes were ruined (shrunk or colour was lost) when I sent them to have them laundered. I was told it is because they use very hot water. I won't launder my good clothes on ships anymore, but it's ok for casual clothes I'm willing to part with. ... just mentioning this as I used to buy new clothes or pack my best for a cruise vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have always successfully used the HAL laundry services. However, on this last cruise my white underwear came back very gray. I thought perhaps when I washed them at home they would brighten up but no such luck. I tossed them out, which now I'm sorry I did cause I could have jut kept those for cruise vacations!

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi

I am from australia and will be doing a HAL cruise on the Noordam in May.

It's a 7 day cruise (does that matter with the laundry service?).

I would like to know more about this laundry option as I will have 7 days or dirty laundry from travelling around Canada before embarkation.

Any fellow Aussie used this service? How did you order it before going to USA/Canada?

Thanks.

Jane

Hi

I am from australia and will be doing a HAL cruise on the Noordam in May.

It's a 7 day cruise (does that matter with the laundry service?).

I would like to know more about this laundry option as I will have 7 days or dirty laundry from travelling around Canada before embarkation.

Any fellow Aussie used this service? How did you order it before going to USA/Canada?

Thanks.

Jane

The laundry service is purchased while on board. There will be a laundry bag and laundry list on a hanger in your closet. Complete the form, stuff it into your filled laundry bag and leave it on your bed before dinner or breakfast. Your Room Steward will take care of it while making your bed in the AM or doing turndown while you are at dinner. I

t will be returned within 24 hours or less.

You can pay by the piece, by the bag ($20 in US), or unlimited for $7/day of the cruise. For the latter, you can ask your Room Steward for more bags and laundry lists.

HAL-Laundry-Bag-Price.jpg?i=2042857048

We have used the unlimited laundry on most of our HAL cruises with much success. I do not send out my nicest clothes (the items I hand wash at home), but my husband sends everything out. It occurred to me while reading this thread that it may be possible with the unlimited plan to send out items for pressing only. The ticket is pretty clear that dry cleaning is not included and we're good with that.

Is my assumption correct? Does unlimited laundry include pressing only as well. If it does, then I would have saved two hours this weekend ironing for our cruise this week!

Thank you for your answers.

BaltimoreCruise

How do they keep track of all of the laundry?

I am huge on sorting when I do laundry...

So, I am wondering if unlimited laundry would be preferable to doing a couple of the bags, filled with everything...

I am wondering how they wash and keep track of everyones laundry.

Would each bag, either small number of unlimited (sorted), or large bag of (everything) get washed in one load???

Booked for a 27 day cruise on msOosterdam next April

(Ft Lauderdale to Venice) and was wondering if anyone had ever utilized the laundry service on this or any other HAL ships.

We utilize the Laundry service on every cruise. The price is excellent, the service is impeccable and very efficient.

Just call HAL Shipboard Services to make the arrangements.

Generally the charge is more when in Europe. I contacted Ships Services by email ahead of a cruise to ask what the price was for laundry. I was quoted the lower price. I printed out the answer and took it with me and got the lower price instead of the (I think) $9/day. On a longer cruise it did add up.

How do they keep track of all of the laundry?

I am huge on sorting when I do laundry...

So, I am wondering if unlimited laundry would be preferable to doing a couple of the bags, filled with everything...

I am wondering how they wash and keep track of everyones laundry.

Would each bag, either small number of unlimited (sorted), or large bag of (everything) get washed in one load???

During my "Behind the Scenes Tour" on the Oosterdam, the Laundry Manager stated that the labels on each item of clothing is read and the applicable laundering method applied.

Not sure how they sort laundry but every piece, except socks and handkerchiefs, have a piece of tape with your room number attached in discreet locations on each piece. This tape remains on each item until you remove it with a strong pull. If you do not remove the tape when your laundry arrives, you will discover it scratching you at often inappropriate times.

You can write-in specific instructions for items so these must be washed/dried separately from normal laundering.

Has anyone tried out the dry cleaning service? Some things I would not want laundered.....curious if the service is good.

I don't use the dry cleaning service often, but when I have used it, I have been very satisfied. On my Zaandam cruise this January, a pair of slacks got very muddy during my tour on the Falkland Islands. I did not want these slacks laundered, so I sent the pants to be dry cleaned. They were returned in perfect condition.

I don't use the dry cleaning service often, but when I have used it, I have been very satisfied. On my Zaandam cruise this January, a pair of slacks got very muddy during my tour on the Falkland Islands. I did not want these slacks laundered, so I sent the pants to be dry cleaned. They were returned in perfect condition.

Thank you for sharing your experience....seems like the right way to go for some items. Glad they have the service onboard

• 4 years later...

I did see the unlimited option available to purchase on the website. Does this include men’s Dress shirts and dress pants, (both the kind that can be washed)?  Sometimes, cleaners, with my linen shirts, insist on dry cleaning. That is why I bring my own Tide Pods and wash them in my sink.

2 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Yes. They can be returned either on hangers or folded. DH has had no complaints.

The old posts discussed the unlimited being cheaper if purchased before boarding and that the cost was per stateroom not per person. Are those still the case?  If so, where do I sign up online as I don’t see it. 

Also, how big is the laundry bag? And how much does it cost now?  Is it paper? (like Norwegian’s) How often is it offered on a 7 night cruise? On a 15 night cruise? 

We are close to booking a b2b for a total of 21 days so trying to figure out the best plan. 
TIA!