Carnival MDR food quality going down?

funkidd

It's interesting to me that the "cheaper" chain restaurants where I live do a thriving business whereas the good "chef" driven establishments that charge a bit more for "gourmet" food close as fast as they open because they can't find customers who are willing to pay for fresh food prepared one dish at a time.

When you sail on the budget cruise lines (Carnival, RCI, NCL) you sail for the budget prices and just like chain restaurants you should know that you won't be getting 5 star quality food.

Good food prepared by hand is expensive. I don't think people eat prime beef at home, range raised chicken, wild fish...their budgets don't allow for that. Instead we usually get grocery store food...choice beef, pen raised chickens, fish farm seafood.

Why, suddenly, when we cruise do we think our budget dollars will pay for the kind of food we can't afford or don't buy at home...nor do we spend the dollars it requires to eat day after day at 5 star restaurants.

As a society we like long menus, multiple choices. Cruiselines offer that but at a cost to quality. Would we be happy if we cruised and, like in the old days, you were fed 3 meals a day in the dining room with a choice of fish, fowl, or meat. Of course food was better then but choices and options were limited...and you were forced to eat at the same time everyday.

Again, I am always amazed that there is a train of thought out in cruiseland that we should be getting something better than we are willing to pay for. We don't expect it at home, or when we patronize all these chain restaurants...

I am posting from the RCCL Freedom of the Seas on day 7 of a 14-day transatlantic cruise. I have been on 88 Carnival cruises and am on # 32 with RCI So I think I have enough experience to comment on the food. Both lines have gone up and down on food quality and presentation. I believe the current upper management at Carnival (see new president Christine) is fixated on profits and the product suffers. RCCL is now offering a superior product, a few years ago this was not the case. They often cost more and in the past, it was often not warranted. Now it is.

Happy cruising.... Life is full of choices, if mega of the seas is yours enjoy. We could debate the superiority but it has no value, if you believe you have found a better cruise line then enjoy. Christine Duffy has no different value of profitability then what royal or NCL or MSC or etc...have. I have read the same disappointment with food on the frequent cruisers on Royal which is interesting as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My theory is that the food has probably remained relatively consistent but in the age of Food Network, Master Chef, etc..., we are all becoming more discerning foodies than in previous years... :)

I think your theory is right on. The product changes little but the expectation much.

The main question here is do yall think that Carnival is diminishing the free or included mdr service and quality and trying to get passengers to buy the service. At this point I'm not complaining about any service or really the quality. I think it varies and has gone down some but I'm also in the service industry food industry and I find the mdr food and service to generally be pretty good and I enjoy it. I just wonder if we will eventually have to pay extra for it?

Since cruising is a CHOICE I will never have to pay extra to eat!

Seems like you're trying to ruffle feathers. Let it be. As has been stated a gazillion time, food is subjective. There are more free eating options than pay.

And, judging by how full the MDR is each night, I cannot see how Carnival would say "let's shut it down and make them pay...". Doesn't seem likely or practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Seems like you're trying to ruffle feathers. Let it be. As has been stated a gazillion time, food is subjective. There are more free eating options than pay.

And, judging by how full the MDR is each night, I cannot see how Carnival would say "let's shut it down and make them pay...". Doesn't seem likely or practical.

Nor will it ever happen on Carnival. Royal attempted to move in that direction and it failed......miserably

They used to have lamb chops, now it's lamb shank. Menu is tired. I got lasagna with almost no sauce, mostly noodles. I think part of the issue is there are Indians cooking who don't know how to cook what Americans like.

LOL, they change the menu and get berated here like never before..... Not sure what the chef nationality has to do with it, but that has not changed. I think they have a pretty good handle on what Americans want and like. That said, I agree 100% on the Lasagna...

The customer is already having to pay for a decent steak in the MDR . I'm sure there will be more pay items in the future .

Soon as one of the Carnival hats figure out a way to get another dollar out of the customer. My last three cruises I didn't bother going to the MDR , food is no longer up to par.

Edited by BoDidly

I have a theory I want to pose to everyone and see what yall think. From what I have heard on reviews on here and from what I have seen in the past several years, the food quality in the MDR is on the decline. It seems variety selection and quality are declining. Is that a fair statement? If it is true, why do you think?

My theory is that cruise lines, Carnival specifically (maybe others) are trying to get passengers to switch to the pay for restaurants by lessoning the quality and variety in the main dining room. I think they are doing this gradually to eventually make the change to a pay for all of your food cruise system. I think if they just starting charging for all food on the cruise, they would see big declines in ridership so they have decided to get customers to slowly pay for better food, comparable to what you used to get in the mdr.

What do yall think?

I've been saying this forever. But you left out number of courses, as well as number of meals offered a day. In fact they used to shout about it in their brochure. Funny how when they they eliminated them, as well as changed the name from Supper Club to Steakhouse, they started rolling back all the offerings, all those things that used to be in the INCLUDED column of those brochures.

But there it was. All the quality meats and treats slowly removed, downgraded, or suddenly moved to the steakhouse.

And there were the number of meals wiped off the schedule, ultimately, even the midnight buffet (not to be confused with the gala buffet, which used to be a staple, offered once during the cruise).

Carnival is now a skeleton of what it once was. Just look at an old brochure; you won't even recognize it.

I've been saying this forever. But you left out number of courses, as well as number of meals offered a day. In fact they used to shout about it in their brochure. Funny how when they they eliminated them, as well as changed the name from Supper Club to Steakhouse, they started rolling back all the offerings, all those things that used to be in the INCLUDED column of those brochures.

But there it was. All the quality meats and treats slowly removed, downgraded, or suddenly moved to the steakhouse.

And there were the number of meals wiped off the schedule, ultimately, even the midnight buffet (not to be confused with the gala buffet, which used to be a staple, offered once during the cruise).

Carnival is now a skeleton of what it once was. Just look at an old brochure; you won't even recognize it.

I agree with you on one point, you have been saying this forever. As to the rest, not so much.

Sent from my iPhone

A perfect example and to the point .

We sailed Ecstasy a few weeks ago and as you all know it is one of the oldest and smallest ships in the fleet. It was a spring break family trip on a sold out ship full of kids and we had low expectations, especially after having an adult get away a few months before on the huge and beautiful RCCL Independence Of The Seas. What we found was the food was surprisingly GREAT. Way better than expected, especially after our Indy experience (RCCL main dining room food is just short of awful imo. Their buffet is a little better.)

I'm not really sure it was quite up to par with the cruise days of old, this is true. But good lord it was SO much better than Royal Caribbean (and I'm not bashing them, we happen to enjoy RCCL a lot and find their ships in general are nicer than Carnival, we like each line for different things.)

I think they still provide tasty food; a good value. But they have certainly lowered costs in procurement, production, and service. While still acceptable, it no longer is an experience that routinely exceeds expectations. So, while I still like it, I do not disagree with the premise of the thread. Still miles ahead of Royal Caribbean; someone has to set the bar on the floor.

Your point of looking at the brochure is a valid one. Things you will find in the new brochures should be mentioned:

larger cabins, more ocean view, balconies and suites on the new ships, Nicer bedding, king size beds.

Kids camp, more pools, ropes, water slides, arcade

More bars with a larger variety of beverages

More casual dining area like Guys, BBQ, Mongolian Wok, Blue Iguana

Comedy shows, more music venues

So instead of just one traditional cruise experience that focused on one main dining room, the lines are offering a variety. And still offer a version of the traditional cruise MDR. For less money per day.

A lot of people theorize that the only included meals will one day be in the Lido buffet only and that everything else will have a charge. I just cant buy the idea that they are doing it on purpose to drive 3-4K people into the specialty dining venues that cost an upcharge. Its just not possible.

And most likely on picnic benches.

Your point of looking at the brochure is a valid one. Things you will find in the new brochures should be mentioned:

larger cabins, more ocean view, balconies and suites on the new ships, Nicer bedding, king size beds.

Kids camp, more pools, ropes, water slides, arcade

More bars with a larger variety of beverages

More casual dining area like Guys, BBQ, Mongolian Wok, Blue Iguana

Comedy shows, more music venues

So instead of just one traditional cruise experience that focused on one main dining room, the lines are offering a variety. And still offer a version of the traditional cruise MDR. For less money per day.

Actually no. All the same. Only change is they have branded things. THE bar was swapped out for a name bar. The BURGER stand was swapped with a named burger stand. The list goes on. Standard cabins have always been 185 sq ft, and they still are. That one dining room used to bring you all the different choices. Now, they want you to go here for this, and there for that. Yes, you used to even get fish and chips at a sit down lunch on Thursdays, one choice of many. Served to you.

That comedy show? Used to be in the main lounge. Now it is in an overcrowded venue, where suddenly the comedians think throwing an F bomb in a bad joke is somehow suddenly funny.

I don't agree. I cruise several times a year and I've never had a problem with the variety, quality or temperature of the food in the MDR. I also feel that the addition of the Port of Call menu, and the everyday favorites items plus 4 or 5 entrée selections makes plenty of variety. I often have trouble deciding and since I think the portion size is reasonable, I don't order more than one entrée.

The customer is already having to pay for a decent steak in the MDR . I'm sure there will be more pay items in the future .

Soon as one of the Carnival hats figure out a way to get another dollar out of the customer. My last three cruises I didn't bother going to the MDR , food is no longer up to par.

You don't HAVE to pay....you CHOOSE to.

You don't HAVE to pay....you CHOOSE to.

If something was included and now requires a fee, that's a reduction in value. If a quality steak was replaced with an inferior one, and then a surcharge was required to get the better steak that used to be included, that too is a reduction in value. Don't try to spin it otherwise.

Actually no. All the same. Only change is they have branded things. THE bar was swapped out for a name bar. The BURGER stand was swapped with a named burger stand. The list goes on. Standard cabins have always been 185 sq ft, and they still are. That one dining room used to bring you all the different choices. Now, they want you to go here for this, and there for that. Yes, you used to even get fish and chips at a sit down lunch on Thursdays, one choice of many. Served to you.

That comedy show? Used to be in the main lounge. Now it is in an overcrowded venue, where suddenly the comedians think throwing an F bomb in a bad joke is somehow suddenly funny.

Guys burger....much better

Blue Iguana.......new

Sushi stand........new

Dining room....you can still get all options (not like Royal)

Mogolian Wok.......new(er)

BBQ...........new offered on sea days and embarkation

Going to different venues is an improvement, not a drawback (however you would be crying about the lines)

Comedy club......how does the venue six make it a cutback? It's packed so the r rated shows (BTW there are general audience ones as well...but that does not fit into your view).

Some of the other "changes" you describe are a reaction to what cruisers want...pure and simple.

If something was included and now requires a fee, that's a reduction in value. If a quality steak was replaced with an inferior one, and then a surcharge was required to get the better steak that used to be included, that too is a reduction in value. Don't try to spin it otherwise.

Well excuuuuse me! Didn't mean to step on your precious toes!

Seriously? Don't try to spin it??? Nobody is holding a gun to your head! Cruise a more superior line and get your precious higher end products included.

SMH ...