Carnival MDR food quality going down?

funkidd

Options are always a good thing

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Team work ,works in mysterious ways .

Guys burgers were really good when they were first introduced ,now it seems the taste and meat they use have gone down hill too.

BTW ,where's Stu ?

Team work ,works in mysterious ways .

Guys burgers were really good when they were first introduced ,now it seems the taste and meat they use have gone down hill too.

BTW ,where's Stu ?

I had two on the VIsta and wanted more...... Seemed fine to me... I have not seen him post in a while, but I kind of remember him mentioning an upcoming Princess cruise.

I had two on the VIsta and wanted more...... Seemed fine to me... I have not seen him post in a while, but I kind of remember him mentioning an upcoming Princess cruise.

Thanks ,keep the review going, BTW your right about the BBQ . It's good .

Took the GD on a four day cruise last month just to try out her sea legs. Really surprised me that they no longer serve shrimp at the wok on a four day.

Edited by BoDidly

Thanks ,keep the review going, BTW your right about the BBQ . It's good .

It was actually better than we expected, and I went for a combo of the sauces including the hot sauce which came back to haunt me later that night. One of the servers told me that the brisket was slow cooked for 12 hours.... Did a couple of posts today but have a full day, more coming tomorrow....including a fairly interesting day.....:evilsmile:

As to your question to whether they are trying to get passengers into the pay restaurants, that I don't know. What is fact and cannot be denied is that over the last 5 years the food and service has declined do to cutbacks. That is a fact. Unfortunately you will have the Carnival cheerleaders calling you names and defending what they know is an outright lie. These same people are the type that would preach against a certain group of people yet become a complete hypocrite and take a paycheck for 400,000.

I really would love an explanation of that last sentence you used. Examples please.

I like Carnival. I like the food quality and choices on Carnival. I have chosen to have a great vacation on every one of my cruises, and you know what, I have.

There are lots of choices out there and I am happy with mine.

I do tell people that I've always enjoyed my cruises on Carnival. If that makes me a "Carnival Cheerleader" then so be it. Please send me my $400.0k payment cause that's way more than I make now and will pay for a lot of cruises.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Without reading more than 20 or so posts in the thread ,,,,, my feeling is that since consumers demand low cruise fares (my last HAL cruise was just about the same cost as our first one in the early 2000's) CCL (and other lines) must make cuts somewhere. They've cut staff and entertainment about as far as possible. So it should not a surprise that the quality of food (especially cuts of meat) was destined to slide.

We thought the food was fine in the MDR on CCL - simple but well cooked. (We do request no CCL Marinara sauce on any of our dishes:D:D )

Here at home lettuce has gone up from 79 cents a head to $2.49 a head. If you're on a budget you have to make up the loss somewhere.

I've only been cruising since 2013 so I don't have the history lots of cruisers have, but IMO most MDR food at dinner is barely ok, akin to TGIF and Chili's. I gladly pay $20 for food I would characterize as very good. Still far from excellent. The slop they serve up on Lido, most of it I would be afraid to serve to my dogs.

I've only been cruising since 2013 so I don't have the history lots of cruisers have, but IMO most MDR food at dinner is barely ok, akin to TGIF and Chili's. I gladly pay $20 for food I would characterize as very good. Still far from excellent. The slop they serve up on Lido, most of it I would be afraid to serve to my dogs.

If the food served is barely edible and some not suitable for your dog, why do you continue to sail on a line you can't eat on?

I am assuming the 20 is for dinner only? Or where do you eat that you enjoy for 20, breakfast, lunch and dinner? I want in on that deal.

If the food served is barely edible and some not suitable for your dog, why do you continue to sail on a line you can't eat on?

You should read the entire post, including "I gladly pay $20 for food I would characterize as very good. " I would never trade in the free cruises for paying for a different line. In case you missed the emphasis, * I GLADLY pay $20 for food I would characterize as very good. " Pay attention! :')

I am assuming the 20 is for dinner only? Or where do you eat that you enjoy for 20, breakfast, lunch and dinner? I want in on that deal.

You need not assume, I clearly stated "dinner", Im content with the breakfast and usually eat lunch at a top-ten TripAdvisor rated restaurant in port.

You need not assume, I clearly stated "dinner", Im content with the breakfast and usually eat lunch at a top-ten TripAdvisor rated restaurant in port.

OK, 20 for dinner. I just looked at Chili menu, if you get the cheapest appetizer, cup of soup, salmon and dessert, It is over 30.

And you want better by adding 20?

I have cruised with Carnival 10 times and have always told family and friends about two things on my return home; the ports and the food. I always loved Carnival's old menu which comprised of simple food done right. I miss the simple dishes like the West Indian roasted pumpkin soup, the Thai marinated chicken, the Thai soup, the fried shrimp, etc. Nothing fancy, expensive, or extraordinary, just simple food which I enjoyed. On our last cruise since the new menu was rolled out we had pizza, sandwiches, or bought food from the room service menu for dinner since we didn't like what was offered on the MDR menu. Once or twice while waiting for pizza we met others who also commented that they were having pizza for dinner again. Many folks might enjoy the new menu but I certainly hate it. I loved the old menu which had simple dishes done right. I miss having the backup options of spring rolls and fried chicken, and it was my fault for not reading properly and ordering the grilled chicken on our last cruise and being sorely disappointed. I have been a loyal Carnival customer for years and have sung their praises and recommended friends and family cruise with them, but I can't do that anymore when I don't even enjoy the quality of the food anymore. We just returned from a resort and had a great time. I miss cruising with Carnival but I also hate having pizza for dinner multiple times.

Edited by cruiser4four

I think people forget that the cost of food has risen quite a bit in the last few years. Take lettuce, meat, cabbage, heck, most fruits and vegetables are crazy prices compared to even 2-4 years ago. I'd rather have a decent meal at a cheaper cruise cost, than pay $500 more per person and have fancier meals in a high class dining room. If I wanted that, I'd be looking at fancier and more expensive ships where they higher prices cover fancier food. Try feeding your family with the same monthly budget each week that you did 4 years ago. Now try doing that with 4000 people. Cuts have to be made or prices have to go up.

OK, 20 for dinner. I just looked at Chili menu, if you get the cheapest appetizer, cup of soup, salmon and dessert, It is over 30.

And you want better by adding 20?

The MDR food is equivalent to Chili's in my opinion. I remember eating there years ago.

For adding $20, Carnival delivers much better food, as most would expect. Try comparing the lobster tail from the MDR menu and the $20 menu. Same venue, world of difference in quality and size.

Many people would be fine... happy even, with the puny, low-quality lobster tails on elegant night, and I am happy for them.

I think people forget that the cost of food has risen quite a bit in the last few years. Take lettuce, meat, cabbage, heck, most fruits and vegetables are crazy prices compared to even 2-4 years ago. I'd rather have a decent meal at a cheaper cruise cost, than pay $500 more per person and have fancier meals in a high class dining room. If I wanted that, I'd be looking at fancier and more expensive ships where they higher prices cover fancier food. Try feeding your family with the same monthly budget each week that you did 4 years ago. Now try doing that with 4000 people. Cuts have to be made or prices have to go up.

In my opinion the food from 5 years ago was cheap food. Thai marinated chicken, Thai soup, sweet and sour shrimp, pumpkin soup, spring rolls, etc. Those are cheap meals. Its not the price of the food which I have an issue with, its the quality. I've never expected caviar on a cruise and never wanted it, the cheap stuff was good enough but now they're not even doing the cheap stuff properly anymore.

I have been cruising Carnival for about a decade now. Have there been changes? Yes. Has the quality in MDR declined? Nope. The same menu items (several are still around) are as good as they were 10 years ago - recipes haven't changed. Have they made some cut backs like no lobster on short cruises? Yes. Does that impact my decision to go to specialty restaurants? Nope.

All in all I think they have added better and tastier non-pay options like Mexican, Guys and Indian on certain ships that far outstripped what was there before. I am also happy to see the addition of more "pay" options and think Jijis and Bonsai are two fantastic additions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums