Carnival - "Walmart of the Seas"

I have heard Carnival being referred to as "Walmart of the Seas" on several occasions, so we decided to try a different line this year, since we had only been on Carnival and had nothing to compare it to, but we knew we have always loved Carnival.

So we just got back from our Norwegian cruise. We were completely bored. The crew was rude. The food was hit or miss (we actually preferred the buffet to the MDR). They did not have comedy clubs (which we love). Other than the beautiful ports, we were just not impressed. Now don't get me wrong, we didn't have an awful time, just not as good as we were used to.

So needless to say, we have decided to stick with Carnival since we have never had these issues, and are already planning our next 2 cruises with them.

Guess we just like Walmart!!!;p

I have heard the same thing about "Walmart of the Seas"

Some people think of it as a slam. Like the "Walmart of the seas lower class". Now, my local Walmart, I can see why it gets that connotation.

I prefer to think of it as "Walmart of the Seas less expensive and good value".

They provide a very good product and a very good value for a reasonable price.

Besides, they still let me wear my wifebeater in the MDR.

I do have to wear my tie on Elegant nights.

dd47d4171fda8570ca5eb5160b40a008.jpg

Edited by HawkIVette

We did a Norwegian cruise in Dec of 15 and had no complaints, food was good, had excellent service. The only drawback I found was not having the comedy club, otherwise it was just fine and I would have no problems doing it again. We have done well over 20 Carnival cruises & enjoyed them, but they are not as good as they used to be. A lot of cutbacks.

I have heard Carnival being referred to as "Walmart of the Seas" on several occasions, so we decided to try a different line this year, since we had only been on Carnival and had nothing to compare it to, but we knew we have always loved Carnival.

So we just got back from our Norwegian cruise. We were completely bored. The crew was rude. The food was hit or miss (we actually preferred the buffet to the MDR). They did not have comedy clubs (which we love). Other than the beautiful ports, we were just not impressed. Now don't get me wrong, we didn't have an awful time, just not as good as we were used to.

So needless to say, we have decided to stick with Carnival since we have never had these issues, and are already planning our next 2 cruises with them.

I have been on Disney, NCL, MSC and Grand Celebration and have also decided after my last visit I am gonna just stick with Carnival and build up my points with them ... With the exception of the GC cruise line because I get such cheap prices with them but for anything 3 or more days I will be booked thru carnival

I am with the OP a bit in my opinion of Carnival, I have sailed NCL, Royal, Princess, Disney, MSC and Carnival. Personally I have noted more of the clientele being pretty equal between all the lines, except MSC (mostly they just have more foreign passengers). I see people over and under dressed on all lines we have been on. Food pretty hit or miss across them all - though Disney I think was the best and NCL is good if you pay for the specialty dining - their MDR is really not that great. I found more entertainment aboard Carnival and found more things to do (again except for Disney). But then again maybe I am in the minority with dress codes, etc - but I don't wear my swimsuit in the buffet, I don't wear shorts to dinner nor t-shirts or tennis shoes. Though I happily shop at Walmart.

I have been on Disney, NCL, MSC and Grand Celebration and have also decided after my last visit I am gonna just stick with Carnival and build up my points with them ... With the exception of the GC cruise line because I get such cheap prices with them but for anything 3 or more days I will be booked thru carnival

GC is a new one for me... how did you like it?

I am with the OP a bit in my opinion of Carnival, I have sailed NCL, Royal, Princess, Disney, MSC and Carnival. Personally I have noted more of the clientele being pretty equal between all the lines, except MSC (mostly they just have more foreign passengers). I see people over and under dressed on all lines we have been on. Food pretty hit or miss across them all - though Disney I think was the best and NCL is good if you pay for the specialty dining - their MDR is really not that great. I found more entertainment aboard Carnival and found more things to do (again except for Disney). But then again maybe I am in the minority with dress codes, etc - but I don't wear my swimsuit in the buffet, I don't wear shorts to dinner nor t-shirts or tennis shoes. Though I happily shop at Walmart.

There is no such thing as overdressed, just under-dressed :D

Norwegian is right out for me, as they serve Pepsi and that is a deal breaker for the wife. I know it is small beans to many, but she really likes the coke.

We have been on 8 Carnival cruises is the last 7 years and noticed a continuing decline in the overall quality in the food and in particularly in the level of service . Not to the point that we won't consider Carnival for future cruises but they ain't what they used to be.

Last May we were on the NCL Escape and the experience was outstanding. Food ,Service and entertainment could not be beat.

Sailed Princess, NCL, Royal Car. and Carnival......14 with Carnival. Why I go back to any of the other lines is beyond me.

Only line that makes me feel welcome is Carnival and I can't wait to walk on Sunshine Saturday morning and hear them say...Welcome back Ms Diane! Thank You...I am SO HAPPY to be back:hearteyes:

I have heard the same thing about "Walmart of the Seas"

Some people think of it as a slam. Like the "Walmart of the seas lower class". Now, my local Walmart, I can see why it gets that connotation.

I prefer to think of it as "Walmart of the Seas less expensive and good value".

They provide a very good product and a very good value for a reasonable price.

Besides, they still let me wear my wifebeater in the MDR.

I do have to wear my tie on Elegant nights.

dd47d4171fda8570ca5eb5160b40a008.jpg

Thank you - DH and I are still chuckling !!! :D:D

We HATE NCL, never would go back after going on the Breakaway a handful of years ago. We had family last year going on the Getaway, we hated the Breakaway so much we couldn't bring ourselves about to join them, there are way too many negatives to mention and I agree the staff was rude! At first I thought perhaps there was a rule that the staff cannot socialize with the passengers but was told there was no such rule.

Please try Royal Caribbeans Oasis class ships, trust me, they BLOW AWAY the NCL newest ships in a heartbeat and you never feel crowded like the Breakaway felt. Please don't let this NCL experience stop you from trying RC largest ships, there is certainly a huge difference.

On another note, yes, I prefer Carnival over NCL.

We did a Norwegian cruise in Dec of 15 and had no complaints, food was good, had excellent service. The only drawback I found was not having the comedy club, otherwise it was just fine and I would have no problems doing it again. We have done well over 20 Carnival cruises & enjoyed them, but they are not as good as they used to be. A lot of cutbacks.

Do you know that the newer NCL ships (Epic and newer) do have comedy clubs? Headliners hosts both the comedians and the Dueling Pianos on Alternating nights. I personally have not experienced rude staff on NCL. I do find their MDR choices to be limited but their buffet beats CCL in taste and choice. I also find the entertainment to be much better than on CCL. Having said that most of our cruises have been on CCL. Have there been cut backs...may be, but they have not been in areas that have affected our cruises in a negative way so I just don't notice most of them. Especially in the MDR. There have also been pluses since we started cruising on CCL....like mini-golf, waterworks, deli, Guys, Blue Iguana, Serenity, and in many cases lower prices so that makes the cut backs that haven't affected me to go by mostly unnoticed. In the end we like sailing both lines for different reasons. It is nice to have choices.

We have only tried NCL twice, and were moderately disappointed each time. We prefer CCL, but I do think NCL stage entertainment, and buffets were better. I think the service, MDR and variety of entertainment is better on CCL. WE usually cruise for the itinerary and the price. Most main cruise lines have many more similarities than differences....and honestly, the bigger difference is in which ship you choose, not the line.

I am booked for my 10th cruise later this year--5th on Carnival. I don't know why I ever went anywhere else. You can't beat the value, the nice people, the crew, the games. I like the food (Guy's Burgers or WCMCake, anyone? ), and there's so much to do, even if you decide to stay onboard rather that go ashore. I tried RCL in 2015 and was sorely disappointed.The only reason I might choose another line is for Europe someday. (Unless Carnival gets more ships going there....)

I have not tried another cruise line, Carnival seems like family.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Forums mobile app

We were on a Carnival ship once and hated it.

We were on an NCL cruise in 2013 and did not enjoy it but we decided to try a second one in 2015 and did not like it . A few months ago we went on our third and last NCL cruise.

We prefer Holland America ,Celebrity,Royal Caribbean and Cunard.

I agree with the original poster 100%! One of my first cruises when I was in my 20's, was on NCL and as we were sailing away, the Carnival Cruise next to us were partying it up having a great time, peppy music, fun, fun, fun, still in dock, while we were serenely cruising out to sea. BORING! I've been on RCCL, NCL, Carnival and the old Viking Serenade and Carnival is still my favorite. My husband has only been on Carnival and he thinks it is a bit "Walmart" but I know him and he wouldn't be able to Karaoke the night away on the other ships and have nearly the fun as he does on Carnival.

Edited by Cruisepugs
fixing it

Any time I hear the comparison to Walmart I always wonder if it's is meant to be mean or offensive to people who shop at Walmart or defend Carnival, or just qualitative analysis. If the latter, I agree. My experience with cruises out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral is there's a bit of Walmart. But if you want a truly entertaining experience (i.e., youtube "People Of Walmart"), try cruising out of Galveston or New Orleans. I'm certain to incur wrath, but for the record, I love both Walmart and Carnival.

We have been on 8 Carnival cruises is the last 7 years and noticed a continuing decline in the overall quality in the food and in particularly in the level of service . Not to the point that we won't consider Carnival for future cruises but they ain't what they used to be.

Just off my 30th . . . admittedly it was a Fantasy class ship, but everything seemed "cutback". Felt sorry for the stewards, told them we'd do our own cabin several days. Service in the MDR was so slow, we opted for the buffet the last two nights. Starting to look around . . . never have done that before. :(

With adults we prefer luxury and premium lines, but with kids we've found CCL always offers the best product.

Tried RC a bit ago and HATED it, only cruise that we've ever disliked. Everyone told us it would be so much better than Carnival, we still have no idea what they were talking about.