U. S. State Department has issued a travel alert for its citizens going to Europe

gnome12

I read that in the paper this morning. We are leaving June 9th for Paris and then going on AMA Lyra on

the 15th for Paris and Normandy.

It does make me wonder whether we should go or not. I wonder what position the river boat lines are taking on this travel alert issued by the government.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a scary world and I won't patronize by saying "if we stay home, they win", what I will say is that you might as well go and enjoy yourself because it doesn't really matter whether you're here of there.... if there's a terrorist planning an attack you're in danger whether you're in Paris or a local shopping center. Be observant, check your surroundings for "where would I go if...", pay attention to local warnings, and if you see something that doesn't belong....tell someone.

I read that in the paper this morning. We are leaving June 9th for Paris and then going on AMA Lyra on

It does make me wonder whether we should go or not. I wonder what position the river boat lines are taking on this travel alert issued by the government.

While clearly every traveler needs to make decisions based on his or her individual level of comfort with risk, it is important to distinguish a "travel alert" from a "travel warning." It is indeed the case that the potential for terrorist attacks is higher in Europe than it is in the US, but that has been the case for a while. There have been a number of travel alerts over the last few years. I doubt that we can really plan for them when making reservations as far ahead as we need to, and cancelling plans whenever such alerts appear would, it seems, keep our vacation plans forever tentative. Maybe it's because I live in the DC area and have family in NYC, but these kinds of general terror risks have become for me a kind of background noise.

A travel warning is more serious, but even that needs to be understood in context. We've seen a number of enticing reviews of Nile cruises on these boards, but Egypt has been under a travel warning at least since December. Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza are under a current travel warning, but I've seen such warnings every time I've checked over the past few years, and thousands of tourists ignore them every year. (Including myself on a couple of trips, though I have avoided Gaza.)

The lifetime odds are much higher that you die in a car accident (1 in 565) on the way to a US airport, than being involved in a terrorist attack (1 in 45,000). Numbers are from Business Insider magazine.

Yup. Absolutely true.

"a growing number of countries are warning their citizens about taking trips to the United States.The United Arab Emirates, Bahamas, France, United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand and Germany are among those urging caution to U.S.-bound travelers. The concerns include mass shootings, police violence, anti-Muslim and anti-LGBT attitudes and the Zika virus."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/08/11/travel-warnings-united-states/88458238/

Our plans are unchanged. Heading for Europe in two weeks. We will keep our eyes open and remain alert BUT we will not change our lifestyle because a bunch of "crazies" think the way to get what they want is to intimidate and/or kill everyone who doesn't believe the way they do.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa

Advice for UK citizens travelling to the US

Around 3.8 million British nationals visit the United States every year. Most visits are trouble free. Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in the USA. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places visited by foreigners. You should monitor media reports and remain vigilant at all times.

Snow storms during winter can cause delays and cancellations throughout the major airline hubs in the USA.

UK health authorities have classified the United States as having a risk of Zika virus transmission in Florida, Texas (Cameron County only), Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. For more information and advice, visit the National Travel Health Network and Centre website: for travel to Florida and Texas (Cameron County) - for travel to Puerto Rico - for travel to US Virgin Islands.

You should be alert to the dangers of car and street crime.

The hurricane season normally runs from June to November and can affect US coastal regions. You should monitor the progress of approaching storms and follow the instructions issued by the local authorities, including any evacuation orders.

Is the US really safe to visit?

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa

Advice for UK citizens travelling to the US

Around 3.8 million British nationals visit the United States every year. Most visits are trouble free. Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in the USA. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places visited by foreigners. You should monitor media reports and remain vigilant at all times.

Snow storms during winter can cause delays and cancellations throughout the major airline hubs in the USA.

UK health authorities have classified the United States as having a risk of Zika virus transmission in Florida, Texas (Cameron County only), Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. For more information and advice, visit the National Travel Health Network and Centre website: for travel to Florida and Texas (Cameron County) - for travel to Puerto Rico - for travel to US Virgin Islands.

You should be alert to the dangers of car and street crime.

The hurricane season normally runs from June to November and can affect US coastal regions. You should monitor the progress of approaching storms and follow the instructions issued by the local authorities, including any evacuation orders.

Is it safe to remain in the US?

I leave for Budapest in 3 weeks and have no fears.. I am diligent and always aware of our surroundings. I lived in London in the 90's during the IRA disruptions. I live 30 minutes from San Bernardino. We will enjoy life and keep on traveling. Yes the US has problems as anywhere else in this crazy world.

I notice you live in Chicago. From what I read in the news you're probably safer in Europe. [emoji57]

The 24 hour news cycle gives us ample opportunity to see and re-see all the details about a catastrophe but the much more common non-catastrophic occurrences don't get any coverage at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is a post from my German friend's Facebook page.

2b5a28ab491dbd73923fbf9fddf1bc9c.jpg

Translated roughly:

Terrorist deaths in Europe: 150 a year. Gun deaths in USA: 150 every 2 days. American travel warning for Europe. Logical.

Terrorism scares us, out of proportion to the actual threat, because it's harder to predict. Conversely, we (probably somewhat falsely) think we can avoid the gun violence here at home because (1) we know the areas around where we live and can avoid the "bad" parts of town, or (2) it's clustered in certain parts of the US and we don't live in a particularly bad area. However, the random shootings in movie theaters, malls, colleges, etc are putting that myth to bed, to an extent.

Off to Prague, Berlin, and Copenhagen later this month! Can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

The lifetime odds are much higher that you die in a car accident (1 in 565) on the way to a US airport, than being involved in a terrorist attack (1 in 45,000). Numbers are from Business Insider magazine.

Yes. This.

If you never do anything that might carry some risk, you will have regrets on your deathbed. That's not a risk, it's a guarantee.

“A fall from the third floor hurts as much as a fall from the hundredth. If I have to fall, may it be from a high place.”

Paulo Coelho

Yes. This.

If you never do anything that might carry some risk, you will have regrets on your deathbed. That's not a risk, it's a guarantee.

“A fall from the third floor hurts as much as a fall from the hundredth. If I have to fall, may it be from a high place.”

Paulo Coelho

It's not the fall that hurts so much.

It is the sudden stop at the end of the fall!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's not the fall that hurts so much.

It is the sudden stop at the end of the fall!

Ain't that the truth!!! Flying through the air didn't hurt at all.....it was the hard landing that nearly killed me. :D

I wonder what that will do to people's plans? It's a scary world.

Go to the state.gov website, there is a ton of useful info on that site.

Enroll in the STEP program, find the phone numbers of the various Embassies and Consulates for the countries and cities you will be traveling/through.

Use the same amount of care and judgement that you would use in any large American city.

Read the USDS travel warnings and advice for each country.

Enjoy your trip, make lots of memories, fill those SD camera cards up to the brim.IMG_1494079821.454234.jpg.d665361ba8ba52c7671f5acf9e15d2f6.jpg

US State Department has an Android & iOS app called Smart Traveler that includes access to country information, warnings and advice.

Global Affairs Canada calls their app Travel Smart. Also available for Android and iOS.

We are very recently back from a week in Provence and Paris, followed by a Seine cruise. Police presence was heavy, especially at the train stations and squares. We were happy to see this and were not bothered whatsover.

At our hotel in Paris, as well as in more than one restaurant in Normandy, staff openly asked us about how we felt about travel to France at this time, and thanked us for visiting.

I have been traveling to Europe since 1985 on a pretty regular basis. Over that time I have seen my share of unpleasant and even scary events. I can say the same for domestic travel over the course of my business career.

Next year we hope to make at least two trips to Europe, if health, time and budget permit. We have not decided where but are looking at a cruise on the lower Danube with some extra time in Budapest for one of our trips. Puglia is a top contender as well.

We have three more trips to Europe this year and have no intention of changing any of our plans.

Perhaps air fares will be even better next year if more people choose not to travel.