Tipping...

We never add money to the slip, I figure the company takes a cut of that. We give cash to the bar server with our SeaPass card. This usually results in no slip to sign, which is what I want.

I never sign the slip. I just leave the tip (usually $3 for 2 drinks) in the gust ck thing and leave

I never know what to believe is real or just a line that one wants to believe is real.

Tipping, if the workers did not get their tips, I think the word would be out by now.

But, you never know.

Safe travels.

RCI guarantees workers a minimum pay with their contracts.

The tip goes to RCI first - only when all the goals such as sales, score and other parameters line up - money from the tip-pool is added as a "bonus" to the workers pay.

The % everybody gets is determined bx many factors....working-hours, location they worked etc.

As tips are pooled - YOU waiter is not getting YOUR tip but a % out of the pool.

The tip-pool is also used to make up for "bad-cruises" where RCI is not meetings its goals and has therefore to "subsidize" the wages as they guarantee them.

Originally posted by pilot
emoji897.pngemoji897.pngemoji897.pngemoji897.png

Sent from my iPad using

Yep another one.

Sorry I guess by this that this has been discussed to death. I am kinda new to this.

Thanks for the responses. I will keep the advice to mind.

Some people have been on Cruise Critic for years, and sometimes forget that inexperienced cruisers (myself included) like to come here and get information. I have had the same question, and appreciated it when people answered. We like to leave extra for our room steward if they've been good, and will for the waitstaff if we've had them consistently (not necessarily with MTD though).

The tip goes to RCI first - only when all the goals such as sales, score and other parameters line up - money from the tip-pool is added as a "bonus" to the workers pay.

The % everybody gets is determined bx many factors....working-hours, location they worked etc.

As tips are pooled - YOU waiter is not getting YOUR tip but a % out of the pool.

The tip-pool is also used to make up for "bad-cruises" where RCI is not meetings its goals and has therefore to "subsidize" the wages as they guarantee them.

where do you know this from?

Thanks for all the advice I'll make sure to bring a bunch of ones with me. I do usually try to do this for other tips like taxis and porters I'll just up the total [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also go to GS and exchange higher denomination dollars to single dollars for drinks tips.

Interesting post.

Some people have been on Cruise Critic for years, and sometimes forget that inexperienced cruisers (myself included) like to come here and get information. I have had the same question, and appreciated it when people answered. We like to leave extra for our room steward if they've been good, and will for the waitstaff if we've had them consistently (not necessarily with MTD though).

I agree some people who have been on CC for years forget some of us are new to CC so threads will be repeated especially popular ones on tipping.

I'm sure someone can come up with an explanation. It wouldn't make sense and wouldn't be something you'd need to pay heed to, but I'm sure someone could craft a rationalization for that claim.

I think it's because it makes people feel less anonymous, like they have developed somewhat of a relationship with that person, and now they feel like they owe them more than a relative stranger. So there is guilt involved.

Because more frequent encounters increase the chances of someone managing to create some sort of emotional connection. And when emotions get involved actions don't always make sense.;):)

I don't share the opinions of Marci22 or Ocean Boy on this....I feel that when I have the same waiter each night they get to learn what I like and when and it is there for me without asking. That is just better service. I make no pretense to have developed an emotional connection with them -- it strictly becomes better service. Since the wait staff also works the WJ at times, I have come across my waiter or asst waiter from the MDR who has asked me if I had my 'ice tea or lemonade'.....so it is just better service....and for better service, we do tip extra.

We had a very new on our last cruise. He was very nice and very responsive....he paid attention to how I liked my coffee and when to give it to me....we wanted to make sure it was appreciated and VALUED his extra effort. He was extremely appreciative, and he knew we had taken care of our tips automatically.

I don't share the opinions of Marci22 or Ocean Boy on this....I feel that when I have the same waiter each night they get to learn what I like and when and it is there for me without asking. That is just better service. I make no pretense to have developed an emotional connection with them -- it strictly becomes better service. Since the wait staff also works the WJ at times, I have come across my waiter or asst waiter from the MDR who has asked me if I had my 'ice tea or lemonade'.....so it is just better service....and for better service, we do tip extra.

We had a very new on our last cruise. He was very nice and very responsive....he paid attention to how I liked my coffee and when to give it to me....we wanted to make sure it was appreciated and VALUED his extra effort. He was extremely appreciative, and he knew we had taken care of our tips automatically.

If you want the same waiter every night it would be better to go on first or second sitting in the MDR.

Personally we prefer MTD table for 2 and a different table every night unless we get a really great positioned table or excellent waiters.

We pre-pay our tips and then we give up to $50 to the room steward at the end of the cruise depending upon how good he is to us. When we had fixed dining many years ago, we would always tip extra for the waiters and wine stewards at the end of the cruise. Since we now only use the MDR once or twice and it's My Time dining, we never tip extra. We will tip extra when we dine in the specialty restaurants. Whatever the op is comfortable doing is appreciated by the crew.

TIPS = To Improve Personal Service

So tips are personal. The benchmark I use is that if the service is at the level that I expected than the auto tip is adequate. If the individual service made us feel extra special than an extra tip is deserved.

where do you know this from?
Good question.

If true, I think it is really quite nice of the cruise line to underwrite a minimum level of gratuities going to the crew.

If you want the same waiter every night it would be better to go on first or second sitting in the MDR.

Personally we prefer MTD table for 2 and a different table every night unless we get a really great positioned table or excellent waiters.

And we do Early Traditional Seating in the MDR. We tell our waiter in advance if we are planning to go to a specialty dinner, so they don't hold up service waiting for us. We always do Izumi (on ships that have it) and last cruise we were treated to Jaimies and joined a friend at Sabor. Jaimies was good, nothing to rave about, nor would I go out of my way to do it again....Sabor was terrific.....may have to make sure we skip a night in MDR on a ship that has it (we loved it).

Sounds about right, that is why leaving cash tip at the end is better than prepay

The automatic tipping we always do. There are many people who serve us beyond the specific people in the MDR (whether traditional dining or MTD) or my specific cabin attendant throughout a sailing. I don't keep track of them (some I may not actually ever see), nor do I carry cash to worry about tipping them as the occasion arises. Those people that work more directly for me and I see and talk with on a daily basis and who 'handle my every whim/need' while I am on vacation, deserve extra -- it is as simple as that to us.

Yes, tips are pooled for all the workers that make that dinner arrive to you, not just the last steps of the waiter and asst waiter.

I don't know if there has ever been proof that Royal takes a cut of the tips that are added to the bar slip (as mentioned in another post). I would imagine that if they did, the bar staff would find a way to let that information out to cruisers. That PR would not be pretty after that.

If I can afford to cruise in the manner we do, we can afford a few more dollars (regardless of what it is) to thank those more who more directly make our cruise better. Simple to us.

We always use prepaid tips, and we purchase a liquor packages which includes a pre paid tip. With that said, we will tip an good room steward extra in cash on the last day for above average service ( 10 cruises in we know the difference now between required service and when we are getting more than that) . Bar staff is another beast altogether though, we spend a great deal of time at the pool/sky bar and the Schooner bar so I tend to introduce myself on day one and let them know in a very Sheldon Cooper like manor " this is my spot" and we tip a $1 On every drink and this has served us very well so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I am glad everybody tips so much......they must make ton of money:D

It has nothing to do with how much money we make.....for the record, I surely don't consider ourselves 'making a ton of money' -- it has to do with the value of the service we receive and understanding that the pooled tips are divided amongst many people, some of which we never see specifically, but you play a part in delivering us our meals and other guest room services. Whether it is an extra $20, $50 or $100, is up to the cruiser in appreciation for the wonderful service.

It has nothing to do with how much money we make.....for the record, I surely don't consider ourselves 'making a ton of money' -- it has to do with the value of the service we receive and understanding that the pooled tips are divided amongst many people, some of which we never see specifically, but you play a part in delivering us our meals and other guest room services. Whether it is an extra $20, $50 or $100, is up to the cruiser in appreciation for the wonderful service.

Agree with you.

I am glad everybody tips so much......they must make ton of money:D

It does not have anything to do with making a ton of money as we do not. We do pre paid on every cruise but yes we still give something extra to our room steward, waiter, assistant waiter if exceptional service was received during the week. We cruise once a year and sometimes every other year, so when we do cruise I figure all that into our expenses as to what we plan to spend while on the cruise. As someone else said the gratuities are shared among many different people so we do not mind giving extra for the exceptional individual service! :cool:

I agree. The service on board is usually exceptionable. We prepay and add an additional

$10./day for waiter, $7.50/day Asst. Waiter, $10.00 Stateroom attendant and $50.00 to our Windjammer Buffet waiter.

The service is well worth it.

And for regular Cruisers like us the word gets around when you're a good Tipper and each Cruise service gets better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

I agree. The service on board is usually exceptionable. We prepay and add an additional

$10./day for waiter, $7.50/day Asst. Waiter, $10.00 Stateroom attendant and $50.00 to our Windjammer Buffet waiter.

The service is well worth it.

And for regular Cruisers like us the word gets around when you're a good Tipper and each Cruise service gets better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

You are a good tipper well done.

I dont prepay tips, I could hide behind that the cruise line dont pass it on, however that is not the main reason i dont prepay, i like to tip for good service to the person directly or not , I know a lot of people struggle with this but thats my process, ive never known anyone not accept a tip