Tipping...

We autopay, Have never taken them off. Always feel service we have received was fine. We do tip our room steward extra if it's warranted. Usually 20 bucks at the end of the cruise. My wife was really taken with our last attendant on Harmony. She was good, always there and took care of us. Ice always in room and always pleasant. She got an extra 50 from my wife. We never go to MDR so nothing extra for them.

The worker.

As good as some of these cabin stewards are at cleaning your cabins and taking care of us, I swear they would make better used car salesmen! (or late night TV infomercial hucksters. :D)

I would like to hear others views about tipping. I usually prepay my tips. However, at the end of the trip I all ways feel guilty not leaving anything. So on my most recent cruise, last month, I gave the waiter and his assistant and the room steward additional. I never know if what I leave is considered being "cheap". I am not as frequent a cruiser as most here. I usually get the inside room and save all year for this. I will be going on another short 4 nights soon and wonder what other people do?

Just looking for guidance.

Don't prepay then

Don't prepay then

I suspect that people who feel guilt about not personally handing a tip won't feel any differently if they simply don't prepay. Having the tips go onto their seapass account may cause the same issue.

I would like to hear others views about tipping. I usually prepay my tips. However, at the end of the trip I all ways feel guilty not leaving anything. So on my most recent cruise, last month, I gave the waiter and his assistant and the room steward additional. I never know if what I leave is considered being "cheap". I am not as frequent a cruiser as most here. I usually get the inside room and save all year for this. I will be going on another short 4 nights soon and wonder what other people do?

You already tipped everyone by prepaying. Therefore you tipped what is expected. If you tip extra, and you do it because you want to, than it's your choice, and your choice only. Personally, I prepay, and I will never discuss what I do extra, or don't do. My tips are my choice, and at the end of the day, just like in a restaurant, that expects 15%, and if I chose to give 20% or 15%, it's my business.

A great ruse to get more $$! [emoji851]
Most likely.

It is important to remember that discretionary service charges, which passengers can modify or remove, are subject to different tax treatment both by the cruise line itself and by crew members from many nations. If a penny of that money goes anywhere other than to the crew, then it is fraud, and subject to the wrath of tax authorities. Royal Caribbean has an internal audit committee responsible for ensuring compliance to such regulations and generally-acceptable accounting practices that also ensure compliance. Furthermore, as a publicly traded company, the cruise line is audited by certified public accountants further ensuring compliance.

Because more frequent encounters increase the chances of someone managing to create some sort of emotional connection. And when emotions get involved actions don't always make sense.;):)

I don't know that its so much an "emotional connection" as "this person I've interacted with several times recognizes me and what I want and that means I don't have to ask." On our last Princess cruise we frequented the coffee shop and about halfway through the cruise, the one barista would see us and start making our drinks. That got him an extra tip at the end of the cruise. We don't usually have a fixed seating for dinner, but if we did and the waiter knew and preemptively took care of any quirks or special needs we had, that would get him a tip. If we frequented a particular bar and the bartender knew what we liked and ether was johnnie on the spot with a new one, or if we asked for something different, he had a good sense of what we'd like, that would get him a tip.

I'm not looking to make friends, but if, through our interactions, you know how to make my cruise more enjoyable, that probably gets you a tip.

Most likely.

It is important to remember that discretionary service charges, which passengers can modify or remove, are subject to different tax treatment both by the cruise line itself and by crew members from many nations. If a penny of that money goes anywhere other than to the crew, then it is fraud, and subject to the wrath of tax authorities. Royal Caribbean has an internal audit committee responsible for ensuring compliance to such regulations and generally-acceptable accounting practices that also ensure compliance. Furthermore, as a publicly traded company, the cruise line is audited by certified public accountants further ensuring compliance.

Exactly. They do have a little wiggle room for how it is split (I believe last I heard Royal used the end of cruise surveys to determine who got what percentage of the gratuities), but they do go to crew members minus taxes.

I'm not saying all or even many crew members think this way, but I do know some people who work in service on land who prefer cash tips because they don't have to pool them with their coworkers and it's easier to hide them when it comes to tax time. If you get a tip on a credit card the company can split that tip with other workers, and will report it as income at tax time. Cash tips still have to be reported for taxes (at least by US law) but it's a lot more honor system. If you just pocket a cash tip and don't report it there's not a huge chance of getting caught and punished. Not sure if any of that applies to ships or not, especially since tax law can vary widely in different countries, but it might be similar.

I don't know that its so much an "emotional connection" as "this person I've interacted with several times recognizes me and what I want and that means I don't have to ask." On our last Princess cruise we frequented the coffee shop and about halfway through the cruise, the one barista would see us and start making our drinks. That got him an extra tip at the end of the cruise. We don't usually have a fixed seating for dinner, but if we did and the waiter knew and preemptively took care of any quirks or special needs we had, that would get him a tip. If we frequented a particular bar and the bartender knew what we liked and ether was johnnie on the spot with a new one, or if we asked for something different, he had a good sense of what we'd like, that would get him a tip.

I'm not looking to make friends, but if, through our interactions, you know how to make my cruise more enjoyable, that probably gets you a tip.

And to my point I think that somewhat makes you feel good, therefore, an emotional connection. But not to argue the semantics I think that we are pretty much saying the same thing. Repeat encounters, for whatever reason, I think are more likely to trigger someone to what to tip extra more so than a one time encounter would. On my last cruise on Freedom there was a bartender in the Schooner Bar who knew just what I wanted. When I would walk in he'd greet me and ask if I wanted the usual. It made me feel good. He was compensated at the end of the cruise.:)

And to my point I think that somewhat makes you feel good, therefore, an emotional connection. But not to argue the semantics I think that we are pretty much saying the same thing. Repeat encounters, for whatever reason, I think are more likely to trigger someone to what to tip extra more so than a one time encounter would. On my last cruise on Freedom there was a bartender in the Schooner Bar who knew just what I wanted. When I would walk in he'd greet me and ask if I wanted the usual. It made me feel good. He was compensated at the end of the cruise.:)

Yeah, we're on the same page. When I saw "emotional connection" I thought more "this waiter and I are friends now" or "man, this stripper really likes me."

A Co Worker just got off a cruise a few weeks ago. She said she asked her cabin steward about tipping and he said the prepaid tips do not find there way to the workers. They prefer the guest to leave cash in the cabin or give it to them directly

If the cabin steward told me they did not see the tips, than I believe it will be the only time that I march to GS and have their tips removed. I mean, if they are going to tell such a lie, than they won't get any from me.....

Some crew members love to make up stories. The best ones, have 5 kids, living in a hut, and when it rains, they gather under a table.

A great ruse to get more $$! [emoji851]

Thats what i thought.

We always give our cabin steward $20-30 extra on top of pre paid gratuitys for 7 nights and on a couple of occasions​ they have come back and were really grateful but most of the time it is as if it is expected and they don't thank you again after they have opened the tip envelope the next time they see you so you are left feeling they expected more.

You already tipped everyone by prepaying. Therefore you tipped what is expected. If you tip extra, and you do it because you want to, than it's your choice, and your choice only. Personally, I prepay, and I will never discuss what I do extra, or don't do. My tips are my choice, and at the end of the day, just like in a restaurant, that expects 15%, and if I chose to give 20% or 15%, it's my business.

Good way to approach it.

Most likely.

Thank you i believe it is fraud if the cruise line set tip guidelines then don't implement them appropriately.

If the cabin steward told me they did not see the tips, than I believe it will be the only time that I march to GS and have their tips removed. I mean, if they are going to tell such a lie, than they won't get any from me.....

Some crew members love to make up stories. The best ones, have 5 kids, living in a hut, and when it rains, they gather under a table.

They have plenty of time and chancers to perfect an emotional blackmail ruse if they are dishonest.

Sounds like you did the absolute correct thing. Left the tips in place and spread a little cheer. There are people who give nothing extra and people who give a lot so don't think you are cheap.

In the vein of tipping I will have the beverage package for the first time on my next cruise. I usually always tip the bartender on top of the 18% that is added onto the bill so with the beverage package do you usually slip the bartender an extra dollar or two when you order since there isn't always a slip to sign?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre-pay the recommended amount and don't over-think the whole thing. The staff is completely used to having pre-paid tips, so they won't think you're being "cheap" on the last night.

In the vein of tipping I will have the beverage package for the first time on my next cruise. I usually always tip the bartender on top of the 18% that is added onto the bill so with the beverage package do you usually slip the bartender an extra dollar or two when you order since there isn't always a slip to sign?

We never add money to the slip, I figure the company takes a cut of that. We give cash to the bar server with our SeaPass card. This usually results in no slip to sign, which is what I want.

We never add money to the slip, I figure the company takes a cut of that. We give cash to the bar server with our SeaPass card. This usually results in no slip to sign, which is what I want.

Thats what i do and i took Clareas advice of leaving $1 per drink in the DL on our cruise we disembarked on May 1st rather than giving $5 to the first waiter because we had 3 different waiters over the 3 days and they were all surprised and pleased so win win for me and the waiters.

Thats what i do and i took Clareas advice of leaving $1 per drink in the DL on our cruise we disembarked on May 1st rather than giving $5 to the first waiter because we had 3 different waiters over the 3 days and they were all surprised and pleased so win win for me and the waiters.

I started doing that also. I used to pre-tip bartenders at the start of a cruise with my first drink but on one cruise I pre-tipped a bartender and then found myself not happy with the service at all. So now I tip per drink (with cash) just in case I have to do a little bar shopping before I settle in for the week.

Thanks for all the advice I'll make sure to bring a bunch of ones with me. I do usually try to do this for other tips like taxis and porters I'll just up the total [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk