Tipping...

Not really. It's not expected to give anything above the standard. The poster is still paying the 18% standard gratuity for having a bottle opened. Anything beyond that is not required.

He said we stopped tipping at all which i understand they are leaving no tips at all especially as they add every 6 cruises they are getting 1 free because of the money they have saved by not tipping.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

He said we stopped tipping at all which i understand they are leaving no tips at all especially as they add every 6 cruises they are getting 1 free because of the money they have saved by not tipping.

Yes, it was not clear if they are not tipping above the standard gratuity, or they are not paying ANY gratuity.

I am fine with the first, but NOT OK with the second.

Yes, it was not clear if they are not tipping above the standard gratuity, or they are not paying ANY gratuity.

I am fine with the first, but NOT OK with the second.

Me neither and by the tone of his post it seemed like he was gloating over the fact he was leaving no tips but the staff were ok because everyone else was tipping over and above the autograuities.

We remove the service charge and tip as we go.

Usually

$2 or $3 dollars at the buffet per mail if all they do is clean the tables

$10 dollars at the main dining room per meal

$50 to $100 for the steward depending on service for he week.

$0 in he specialty restaurants as it is included in the upcharge.

I have my own charities to donate to. I don't feel the need to donate to a billion dollar corporation to pay their employees.

My last trip, which was my first cruise, I prepaid and didn't plan to pay anything else.

However, my room steward was sneaky good. If we left for more than 5 minutes our bed was made and everything was refreshed/replenished as needed. We gave him an additional $5 a day at the end. That was not much, but I assume others do it to and he was over several room.

Our waiter was absolutely the best I've had anywhere I ever eaten. He made us feel like we were the most important guest there and was quick to refill drinks and even tossed in some free drinks. We tipped him an extra $10 a day and his assistant an extra $5 a day.

Maybe this was excessive, but the service was above and beyond and it fit our budget.

On the flip side, I would not feel guilty not giving extra. If you prepay, that's all that is required. Each cruise and each guest is different.

We remove the service charge and tip as we go.

Usually

$2 or $3 dollars at the buffet per mail if all they do is clean the tables

$10 dollars at the main dining room per meal

$50 to $100 for the steward depending on service for he week.

$0 in he specialty restaurants as it is included in the upcharge.

I have my own charities to donate to. I don't feel the need to donate to a billion dollar corporation to pay their employees.

So you pay MORE than the service charge, but make sure not everyone gets the share they get of the service charge.

That makes a lot of sense.

So you pay MORE than the service charge, but make sure not everyone gets the share they get of the service charge.

That makes a lot of sense.

I thought about that too - however OP didn't indicate how many people are in his party so hard to say. He could be saying that's what he tips for himself; or could be for two, or entire family.

Either way I agree - not taking care of everyone.

It's for 2 people.

I don't know if it comes out to more or less than the cruise line wants, I guess it would depend on how many times we visit the main dining room.

What the crew does with our tips is none of my business. If they have to tip out, then they have to tip out, but I will only tip the people who serve us directly, and don't feel guilty at all! The others work for the cruise line. They should be paying them their fair wage as far as we are concerned.

You know, it use to be 10%. Curious how the "standard" keeps going up over the years, even though food price (and thus tip wage) inflation is on average higher than general inflation. I've started to see 25% as the 'suggested tip' printed on receipts.

It was eye opening going to Asia, getting the same (and often better) service, and tips were not something you do. Really changed my perspective on the whole argument of "they'll work harder for better tips". But, that's not how it works here and it will never change, so it is what it is.

In cruising, the line sets the rate, and the employees sign up for it. That's good enough for me.

In Asia, they also work hard for a a fraction of our minimum wage, live in conditions no American would accept, and have to install suicide nets on the outside of buildings...

That's not a good argument. Who cares if it's more than 20%? Ultimately, what is a few extra bucks? I dine out in Denmark and Norway and the prices are obscenely higher than in the US, and they are still adding a tip line :) Even at 20%, you aren't exactly getting screwed compared to other first world countries.

My last trip, which was my first cruise, I prepaid and didn't plan to pay anything else.

However, my room steward was sneaky good. If we left for more than 5 minutes our bed was made and everything was refreshed/replenished as needed. We gave him an additional $5 a day at the end. That was not much, but I assume others do it to and he was over several room.

Our waiter was absolutely the best I've had anywhere I ever eaten. He made us feel like we were the most important guest there and was quick to refill drinks and even tossed in some free drinks. We tipped him an extra $10 a day and his assistant an extra $5 a day.

Maybe this was excessive, but the service was above and beyond and it fit our budget.

On the flip side, I would not feel guilty not giving extra. If you prepay, that's all that is required. Each cruise and each guest is different.

This was not excessive. What is excessive? Is it wrong that a person who lives on a ship away from their family for months and months earns a decent living? Good for you to recognize quality service and share some love. We ALWAYS tip extra because I'm not a cheap scumbag. I enjoy helping others. And if spending an extra $200 on a vacation can make these people smile, I'm all for it. They spend 7 days trying to make sure we are as happy as can be. They deserve every penny, and probably more.

It's for 2 people.

I don't know if it comes out to more or less than the cruise line wants, I guess it would depend on how many times we visit the main dining room.

What the crew does with our tips is none of my business. If they have to tip out, then they have to tip out, but I will only tip the people who serve us directly, and don't feel guilty at all! The others work for the cruise line. They should be paying them their fair wage as far as we are concerned.

Where do companies get money to pay their staff? From the consumer. So whether it's through tips or through paying higher prices for all goods and services you are the one that pays. In Australia we don't have tipping and most things cost about double what they do in the US.

Is it wrong that a person who LIVES on a ship away from their family for months and months earns a decent living...

In your statement you overlook something important. They do get to LIVE on the ship, free room and board. The food is undoubtedly better then most could afford at home and they don't have to pay for it. The free board is a subjective benefit, depending on the individuals situation, but there are many who don't have don't have to pay for lodging when they are gone and it's very common for more than one generation to live under the same roof.

Not trying to be callous about this, I travel for work and don't get to sleep in the house I and my wife pay for 250 nights a year - we do it because it has its compensations. While my compensations are different than those doing service work on a cruise ship, so is my frame of reference. And for many, working life on a cruise ship is a huge upgrade from where they were.

For the record, never removed an auto tip, go in thinking on the last night we'll do 40 extra as a couple for the steward and 20 extra each for the waiter and assistant and MD. We've withheld or shuffled this $100 based on performance. I don't like having to extra tip bar stewards who are already getting %18 on $7 beers just to get decent service. I do it to get decent service and that usually comes out of my $100 extra tipping budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

May I ask why some are tipping above the auto grats for WJ buffet staff? I didn't even think to tip them to be honest. They were cleaning the tables off, not filling drinks or anything. Maybe I've missed something. I do tip buffet staff at home but they are filling drinks.

Not sure anyone mentioned tipping buffet staff so not sure which post you are referring to.

Poster who mentioned tipping $2-3 per meal in buffet said he removed automatic gratuities. He preferred to tip for meals individually, including Windjammer. Tip was for two.

Most other posters were referring to an extra tip to bartenders. Or, perhaps an additional gratuity to MDR staff or cabin steward at the end of cruise. All were on top of standard automatic tip.

Not sure anyone mentioned tipping buffet staff so not sure which post you are referring to.

Poster who mentioned tipping $2-3 per meal in buffet said he removed automatic gratuities. He preferred to tip for meals individually, including Windjammer. Tip was for two.

Most other posters were referring to an extra tip to bartenders. Or, perhaps an additional gratuity to MDR staff or cabin steward at the end of cruise. All were on top of standard automatic tip.

Thanks. When Ese said they tip in buffet and then the other poster said it too made me think. But I see now that the last poster removed their autocrats. And Ese may not reply since the post was from back in May.

I agree. The service on board is usually exceptionable. We prepay and add an additional

$10./day for waiter, $7.50/day Asst. Waiter, $10.00 Stateroom attendant and $50.00 to our Windjammer Buffet waiter.

The service is well worth it.

And for regular Cruisers like us the word gets around when you're a good Tipper and each Cruise service gets better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

I dine out in Denmark and Norway and the prices are obscenely higher than in the US, and they are still adding a tip line :) Even at 20%, you aren't exactly getting screwed compared to other first world countries.

OH YES. I was in Denmark recently, NO tipping, but you can drop $60 on lunch with a single beer.

This was not excessive. What is excessive? Is it wrong that a person who lives on a ship away from their family for months and months earns a decent living? Good for you to recognize quality service and share some love. We ALWAYS tip extra because I'm not a cheap scumbag. I enjoy helping others. And if spending an extra $200 on a vacation can make these people smile, I'm all for it. They spend 7 days trying to make sure we are as happy as can be. They deserve every penny, and probably more.

Total agreement from me for all your comments.

I cannot comprehend why people who can afford to cruise short change the crew.

In your statement you overlook something important. They do get to LIVE on the ship, free room and board.

1) They still have to pay for a residence at home for other family members, just like you do. So yes, they have a free room, but that is not as huge a perk as if they did not have to have one at home also.

2) While the food is good, it is not always THEIR food, and they have no option to make their own. I travel a lot internationally also, but still like being home for US food, or making a simple hot dog, or last night, a tuna salad sandwich. Or fire up my grill or smoker.

But I am similar, I leave the auto tips, and supplement those that give service above and beyond. Last cruise, I tipped the pool bar staff, the service at all bars was good, but they were above and beyond, and friendly and fun to talk to.