Tipping...

May I ask why some are tipping above the auto grats for WJ buffet staff? I didn't even think to tip them to be honest. They were cleaning the tables off, not filling drinks or anything. Maybe I've missed something. I do tip buffet staff at home but they are filling drinks.

On Grandeur, some of the staff do go around with a tray, or in the morning, a cart, of drinks and refill at the table.

May I ask why some are tipping above the auto grats for WJ buffet staff? I didn't even think to tip them to be honest. They were cleaning the tables off, not filling drinks or anything. Maybe I've missed something. I do tip buffet staff at home but they are filling drinks.

We have sometimes tipped in the Windjammer only because we tend to eat most of our meals there including dinner. The evening staff is the same all week and we tend to sit in the same area so it is the same staff all week. On some of our cruises they have taken care of us somewhat as the MDR staff would and we have tipped them at the end of the week. If all they do is remove dishes from the table then we just rely on the auto gratuities to take care of them as RCI see fit.

I dont prepay tips, I could hide behind that the cruise line dont pass it on, however that is not the main reason i dont prepay, i like to tip for good service to the person directly or not , I know a lot of people struggle with this but thats my process, ive never known anyone not accept a tip

When Americans traveling abroad insist on their cultural norms despite them being inappropriate to the culture they were actually IN, they were called the ugly Americans.

But hey, it's your 'process'. Too bad for the employees.

We stopped tipping at all - it saves a lot of money!

So every 6th cruise is basically free!

To us tipping is just not a good value for the money spend.

We do not need any extra service so fine with the basic service they provide.:halo:

Glad everybody else is tipping extra so much - that way the staff makes a ton of money anyway - that is how the whole system works and why it is still in place!

Go tip extra and get your extra service......(y)(y)

If you mean no tipping beyond the auto grats then that is fine.

But if by that you mean not even the autograts then sorry, that's lousy and you would be the 'ugly cruiser.'

You know, it use to be 10%. Curious how the "standard" keeps going up over the years, even though food price (and thus tip wage) inflation is on average higher than general inflation. I've started to see 25% as the 'suggested tip' printed on receipts.

It was eye opening going to Asia, getting the same (and often better) service, and tips were not something you do. Really changed my perspective on the whole argument of "they'll work harder for better tips". But, that's not how it works here and it will never change, so it is what it is.

In cruising, the line sets the rate, and the employees sign up for it. That's good enough for me.

I really do not understand why it is so hard for some folks to understand that the cultures are different, and from ancient times people have understood that you should observe the culture you are in, not the culture of your homeland. There is even an ancient saying: When in Rome do as the Romans do.

Everyone here knows that a significant amount of the pay of the people who make your cruise worth going on comes from gratuities. You mess with that you are messing with the livelihoods. People who, in the vast majority of cases, have not had anything like the privileges, entitlements, nor opportunities that people who can afford to cruise have had.

So kudos to those who leave the autograts on, bigger kudos for those who supplement with additional cash, and disgusted boos for those who remove the autograts - no matter how they rationalize it.

I really do not understand why it is so hard for some folks to understand that the cultures are different, and from ancient times people have understood that you should observe the culture you are in, not the culture of your homeland. There is even an ancient saying: When in Rome do as the Romans do.

So are you saying we should tip like they do in Liberia? The parent company is incorporated in Liberia. The ship is registered in the Bahamas, most of the crew is from anywhere other than the USA, and we are sailing on a ship that does not even touch a USA port.

Seems like the only time they want American customs to apply is when it comes to tipping. To hell with everything else!

Total agreement from me for all your comments.

I cannot comprehend why people who can afford to cruise short change the crew.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I totally agree with your statement. My guess is because they are cheap. I leave auto grats in place and just tip extra to all those that have made our cruise such a wonderful experience.

I donot agree with royal making us subsidize the pay for the crew with our tips. But i will not short change the wonderful and hard working crew because of corporate policy.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

So are you saying we should tip like they do in Liberia? The parent company is incorporated in Liberia. The ship is registered in the Bahamas, most of the crew is from anywhere other than the USA, and we are sailing on a ship that does not even touch a USA port.

Seems like the only time they want American customs to apply is when it comes to tipping. To hell with everything else!

According to your reasoning then if i am from europe but in the united states, i shouldn't tip?

Caribbean cruises stop at least twice in us ports unless we are talking about repositioning cruises then maybe just once.

According to your reasoning then if i am from europe but in the united states, i shouldn't tip?

Caribbean cruises stop at least twice in us ports unless we are talking about repositioning cruises then maybe just once.

We always prepay our RC tips when we book our cruise regardless of where we are travelling to and from and always do my time dining.

Additionally i always give extra to the cabin steward and a dollar a drink in the Diamond or Concierge lounge.

As cruisers we all know the situation regarding tipping or service charges and the crew certainly deserve and appreciate the passengers gratuitys.

:(

In the vein of tipping I will have the beverage package for the first time on my next cruise. I usually always tip the bartender on top of the 18% that is added onto the bill so with the beverage package do you usually slip the bartender an extra dollar or two when you order since there isn't always a slip to sign?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we generally give an extra dollar a drink- but many times we never had receipts to sign with the drink package. Second cruise and forward, I always brought ones. I was surprised to hear on another post that if extra cash is given to bartenders, wait staff etc that it is pooled and divided. Not sure if its accurate or not however, I am disappointed to hear that - if it is true. I realize the pre paid tips are divided but feel if I am giving over and above - it should be to this particular employee.

• 2 weeks later...
Link is to an article based on interviewing a 6 year cruise line employee. There is a lot about living on ship, TIPPING, and why people choose to work for a cruise line despite the almost non-existant wages:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/working-on-a-cruise-ship-what-its-like

Great article. Seems to confirm all the other candidly written articles I've read. I had to laugh about the cruise points section with how people act and compete.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, if I could have a dollar for the times I've been asked, "And how many points do YOU have?"

Ha ha yes so true. Wow. I got some chocolate covered strawberries and a free drink. I get the drink package anyway. I enjoy hanging out with a first time cruiser as they are so excited and happy it's like watching a 4 year old at Chuck E. Cheese!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've been asked by some with low points, medium points, and high points.

But they ask in different ways.

Low points is in awe of lots of points.

Medium is comparing experiences.

High points is looking to make you feel insignificant.

But they ask in different ways.

Low points is in awe of lots of points.

Medium is comparing experiences.

High points is looking to make you feel insignificant.

You have to be Diamond to get into DL and Diamond+ or above or in a suite to be in the CL nothing else should matter.

By all means talk about cruise experiences but does it matter how many points you have.

You have to be Diamond to get into DL and Diamond+ or above or in a suite to be in the CL nothing else should matter.

By all means talk about cruise experiences but does it matter how many points you have.

Not to me it doesn't. I couldn't care less how many points someone else has. And how anyone gets access to a lounge is RCI's business not mine. As long as my card opens the doors that it is supposed to it is all good with me.

Not to me it doesn't. I couldn't care less how many points someone else has. And how anyone gets access to a lounge is RCI's business not mine. As long as my card opens the doors that it is supposed to it is all good with me.

That is how we think too.

I have never asked someone on the ship how many points they have and like you say if your key fits the DL or CL well we are all equal and entitled to be there.