TA verse using online bookinge s

How does everyone feel about using a ta verse RCCl phone staff. I am a diamond member and it seems like a lot of folks get certain perks over and above. Furthermore, the last time I booked (two months ago for Allure this May) it seems like they weren't very helpful. Don't get me wrong they were nice enough, just not very helpful or accomadating. I Live two hours north of Miami and if anyone has or could recommend a good TA, I am looking to book for this fall. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

How does everyone feel about using a ta verse RCCl phone staff. I am a diamond member and it seems like a lot of folks get certain perks over and above. Furthermore, the last time I booked (two months ago for Allure this May) it seems like they weren't very helpful. Don't get me wrong they were nice enough, just not very helpful or accomadating. I Live two hours north of Miami and if anyone has or could recommend a good TA, I am looking to book for this fall. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Rick,

I have used a TA for my bookings for a long time...mostly because I have always gotten a better deal in some form or another. Years ago, they used to just discount whatever price RCCL or other lines were charging. Several years ago, RCCL disallowed the practice of discounting the fares--but allowed the TAs to replace the discounts with other perks. My TA just gives me onboard credit, depending on the cost of the cruise. Other TAs may give out pre-paid gratuities, free specialty restaurant meals, pre-cruise hotel nights or other perks.

You will usually find these TAs among the high volume agencies. The high volume agencies generate more commission and can afford to share a little of that to bring in more customers. You won't find the perks with most smaller, local TAs as they typically make less and have higher overhead--and don't make that much profit. In order to find these high volume TAs, you may give up having that local office or storefront you can just drop into. These high volume agencies vary from large websites where you never really even speak to a live person down to large agencies with real people that just do the volumes because they've marketed well over the internet or through national advertising. The trick is in finding the balance between deal and service.

The TA I use, for example, is located in Orlando, Florida--even though I am in Southern California...3,000 miles away. But, to me, it is no big deal as I can reach her any time (except her days off, of course--but someone else in her office will cover for her if there's an immediate need) by 800 telephone or by email. Since even the cruise docs are delivered electronically nowadays, I have little need to actually see my TA in person. OTOH, since she is a real person that I have spoken with so many times, I feel I know her (and she instantly recognizes me when I call) and she has always been of great help when it comes to issues with the booking or dealing with the cruise line, etc.

I would give you her identity or phone contact, but this site has strict policies on recommending specific travel agents...just cannot do it. So, my advice is to do your own research. Try googling things like "cruise", "travel agent" and "discount" and terms like that. Maybe try websites that open your request to TAs to compete for your business. When you find a few TAs, try emailing all of them and proposing the same cruise, same ship, same date, same category cabin and ask for a quote. Then remember, the best deal isn't always the best TA. Toss out any TA that requires a nonrefundable deposit or charges a penalty for cancelling. Try calling them to follow up with questions and check out how they handle your call--are they immediately available? Prompt? Pleasant?

Then, pick one you like that also gives you a good deal.

Good luck.

Several years ago, RCCL disallowed the practice of discounting the fares--but allowed the TAs to replace the discounts with other perks.

What if the perks are given as a discount?;)

Biker, whose TA discounts the RCI fare price every time.

What if the perks are given as a discount?;)

Biker, whose TA discounts the RCI fare price every time.

Not supposed to do a flat-out discount...as they used to do...

But, they can give you what looks like a discounted price in a "group rate" booking. Many large TAs will reserve multiple rooms in a group booking, then pass these on to their customers--who usually never know they are in a group. Also, with other cruise lines, many still allow discounting. The other thing that makes it confusing is that there are many different types of rates...some that the TA knows about but not so much the general public: Residency rates, senior rates, armed forces rates, etc. ..plus, now they package rates with various options offered by the cruise line, so, often hard to know how they've booked you...

I have never booked with a cruise line ,always with a TA . I have several friends who were TA's and I booked many cruises with them.They are all retired now and the past 4 years I have been booking with a TA that I found via online research .I love the TA I have now ,her agency offers free insurance and loyalty points for cruises booked.

Not supposed to do a flat-out discount...as they used to do...

No group discount, just flat fare discount based on fare. The clue that it is not a group discount is that it applies to every single cruise they sell - oh, and they have few, if any group bookings.

• 4 weeks later...

if you use a TA, do you still have access to planner online to book your dining/entertainemnt/northstar etc?

i daily look for sales and would hate to miss one because i cannot get an agent on the line

one now has a deal where it's making it attractive. same d5 i have today for 400 less because they have free grats. i lose my 100 obc and discounted refresh pack and my 20 bucks on my bed, but the savings still is there and its real money.i can buy refresh pack with that 400 bucks if i really want it.

just nervous about using internet TA

We have unfortunately had really bad luck with TA's. Have many years ago given up, with me serving as our own TA since then. Really miss those original "Next Cruise" certificates....the ones that actually were worth having...but they are pretty much worthless now.

Soooo....I plan in advance, then hope my preferred cabin is available for the sailings we want, waiting to book our cruises

on board with the Next Cruise staff. (Love that OBC). Booked two on MJ just last week, took me all of 5 minutes since

I knew exactly what I wanted.

I am also a control freak and like being in control of my reservation. The D+ desk has always been very helpful to me at all times also, should I need to change anything or take advantage of a price drop.

I have used a TA for my bookings for a long time...mostly .... You will usually find these TAs among the high volume agencies. ... You won't find the perks with most smaller, local TAs as they typically make less and have higher overhead--and don't make that much profit.....but someone else in her office will cover for her if there's an immediate need) by 800 telephone or by email. Since even the cruise docs are delivered electronically nowadays, I have little need to actually see my TA in person...... my advice is to do your own research.

"*"Try googling things like "cruise", "travel agent" and "discount" and terms like that. Maybe try websites that open your request to TAs to compete for your business. When you find a few TAs, try emailing all of them and proposing the same cruise, same ship, same date, same category cabin and ask for a quote"*"

Thank you Bruin Steve, your advice is right on -- I added some quotes to you post above and cut some out.

BE VERY SPECIFIC with cabin category and even location of cabin if you want good comparisons, don't just say inside, OV or balcony as there is a big range there.

Yes.

good to know. so then really there's nothing for a TA to mess up then :)

i guess one thing that would worry me is if i 'really' do have that room booked on board. but thats probably nothing to really worry about . except all the bad yelp reviews

good to know. so then really there's nothing for a TA to mess up then :) ...

Well, before you transfer to the TA, you want to know if they have cancel fees, change fees, limits on price drops, perks that will get reduced or go away if your price goes down, etc.

cant transfer. is more than 60 days since i booked. id have to cancel and wait for cabin to free up or just pick another . which brings up another question. can i book a new cabin while having the old one with royal setup?

Edited by luckyinpa

cant transfer. is more than 60 days since i booked. id have to cancel and wait for cabin to free up or just pick another . which brings up another question. can i book a new cabin while having the old one with royal setup?

Yes, that is currently allowed.

Yes, that is currently allowed.

ok great. thanks. and all i see on site is 24.99 booking fee but no other faq etc with any charges. one review does say is 100 cancel fee which is not nice. but i have to keep searching to find that on their site. also i wonder if my trip insurance from trip insurancestore would pay that cancel fee for me?

truthfully the price of the cabin and free grats is the lowest ive seen and i do daily tracking of prices. so if i'm locked into 'todays' pricing i would be happy indeed with my 400 off. i'm also surprised there's a cheaper cabin price on there as i've read many times they cannot discount cabins on a TA site

ok great. thanks. and all i see on site is 24.99 booking fee but no other faq etc with any charges. one review does say is 100 cancel fee which is not nice. but i have to keep searching to find that on their site. also i wonder if my trip insurance from trip insurancestore would pay that cancel fee for me? ...

Your insurance should pay all your fees if you cancel for a covered reason.

I always use an online TA because of the OBC. Usually it is about 10% of the cruise price. I just sent her an email that the price had gone down and within 30 minutes I got back an email that said "Got it." I don't pay a booking fee, or a cancellation fee, or price change fees. The company I use is also in Orlando as am I. I have booked about 15 cruises with her and yet we have never met. It is a large online agency but I would call and get a "person" in that agency so that I can build a relationship. I have to talk to the person to make sure that they are at least as knowledgeable as I am. I have been on 26 cruises. I also send her a lot of business.

now i thought of something else. if i move to TA i have to cancel and rebook. somehow i think that messes up my travel insurance since booking date changes. or does it?

now i thought of something else. if i move to TA i have to cancel and rebook. somehow i think that messes up my travel insurance since booking date changes. or does it?

If you don't change the cruising dates, your insurance is still in force. However, if you are asking about the initial booking date for the purposes of covering a pre-existing condition, you would have to talk to the insurance company about that level of detail.

here's something interesting. a friend told me about their TA so i emailed them with my cabin category and date. they asked what my rate was to see if they could do any better.

id think their 'rate' would be 'their rate' but apparently not.

the TA asked what site i found my other deal on so i told her. then i went back to check myself. they already jacked it up 100 bucks. the individual price is good but when you click to get final price its an error. sigh

net total saving would be 238 if i switched to TA. unsure thats worth it. i should flip i coin

ok great. thanks. and all i see on site is 24.99 booking fee but no other faq etc with any charges. one review does say is 100 cancel fee which is not nice. but i have to keep searching to find that on their site. also i wonder if my trip insurance from trip insurancestore would pay that cancel fee for me?

truthfully the price of the cabin and free grats is the lowest ive seen and i do daily tracking of prices. so if i'm locked into 'todays' pricing i would be happy indeed with my 400 off. i'm also surprised there's a cheaper cabin price on there as i've read many times they cannot discount cabins on a TA site

I had a Harmony cruise booked for Sept. with a T.A. with a $24.99 booking fee and a $100 cancel fee. ( I had booked with them before and knew about these charges.) I also had booked trip insurance with them for another $198.

About a week after booking, another T.A. that I have also used in the past offered the cruise I was already booked on for a much lower group rate and offered pre-paid grats as well as OBC.

The original T.A. was given a chance to match the new price and perks but chose not too. Consequently, I canceled the first booking and even with all of the cancel fees, I still came out ahead.

As long as you are still outside of final payment, it's not too late to change. Do whatever is financially best for you!

Kathy

Canceling for a better rate is normally not a covered reason.

Some policies do allow cancellation for any reason, so check your policy.