The Mini-Bar

JimnKaren

Some are more mini than others I have learned. We just completed a Veendam itinerary where we had a verandah cabin that featured a refrigerator. Nice and convenient. It had all kinds of beverages. However, it did not have what I usually drink: ginger ale and lemon-lime.

I must have done something wrong, for my request to have ginger ale rather than tonic water and club soda created a mess. I left a note for the mini-bar inspector and nothing happened. I asked the cabin steward to see if ginger ale could be substituted and nothing happened. We called the front desk and asked about getting the substitution and they sent room service to the cabin with ginger ale (not really what I wanted to happen; I guess there was a misunderstanding in the verbal request). I wrote a note and submitted it to the front desk. Two days later, all beverages were removed and two (2) cans of ginger ale were in the fridge. Karen and I drank them and others during the ensuing days. By the end of the cruise, we had three (3) cans of ginger ale in the fridge - I don't know if that was progress or not.

I will be boarding Amsterdam in a couple of weeks and will have an outside cabin. That kind of cabin generally means that there will be two huge bottles of water and six cans of soda that I don't want. What is the best way to get only the beverages I want for my mini-bar?

Suppose I want only ginger ale and lemon-lime and nothing else taking up valuable counter space. Can/should that be something that I request with guest services prior to boarding?

Jim

Very easy.. Don't pay the ridiculous prices for mini-bar cans of soda. When you get onboard, go to any bar and buy 6 cans of ginger ale and put them into your fridge. If you need room take out the items that you don't want and put your stuff in. Or ask your cabin steward to clear your fridge. Keep doing that for the whole cruise. Why fight with a system that wants you to have 2 cans of coke, 2 cans of tonic, 2 cans of whatever ? Buy your own ginger ale at a bar, and if you have the beverage package, they cost you nothing.

Very easy.. Don't pay the ridiculous prices for mini-bar cans of soda. When you get onboard, go to any bar and buy 6 cans of ginger ale and put them into your fridge. If you need room take out the items that you don't want and put your stuff in. Or ask your cabin steward to clear your fridge. Keep doing that for the whole cruise. Why fight with a system that wants you to have 2 cans of coke, 2 cans of tonic, 2 cans of whatever ? Buy your own ginger ale at a bar, and if you have the beverage package, they cost you nothing.

Aren't the mini bar prices the same as bar prices? I do understand that higher star Mariners get a discount. You have to be careful when you remove items as you may get charged for them.

Aren't the mini bar prices the same as bar prices? I do understand that higher star Mariners get a discount. You have to be careful when you remove items as you may get charged for them.

Yes -- you are right -- the mini bar prices of cans of cokes, etc. are the same as when you order them from a bar/lounge.

A clarification:

I had the fridge on Veendam (verandah cabin) and am aware that I will not have the fridge on Amsterdam (outside).

We are 4-star. Mini-bar purchases are 50% from their inflated pricing (prices increased from $1.95 to $2.25 recently). Buying from the mini-bar is less expensive that purchasing at happy hour prices.

I just don't want the re-aggravation about getting rid of the junk I don't want and having the right stuff available.

Jim

Well, you probably will have that aggravation...just don't let it "aggravate" you so much! Request the change when you arrive...and if it doesn't happen before bedtime, simply request it until it does. Maybe, place a little bet on when it will happen...just don't let it ruin your good time! Or...bring a couple cans of what you like onboard with you!

For a cruise last year, I contacted Ship Services, prior to the cruise, to request the types of pop I wanted in the mini bar. I was told that it couldn't be done. There is a standard set up and that's all one gets. If one tries onboard to get the ginger ale, etc., then one pays full price (no mariner discount). And that's what happened to us. We sent back the ginger ale to get a full credit.

What we ended up doing was removing the mini bar contents (or asking them to be removed, I can't remember which) and going to the Explorations Cafe to order the pop because a Mariner gets their discount there. Yes, it was a bit of a PITA but we didn't need much, just a can or two every couple of days. It worked for us.

While one can bring soda on board, it's kind of a hassle when flying to the port. They won't let you take the soda on the plane in your carry on so it has to go in checked luggage. Which makes that heavier as well as creates a risk of leakage.

I will be boarding Amsterdam in a couple of weeks and will have an outside cabin. That kind of cabin generally means that there will be two huge bottles of water and six cans of soda that I don't want. What is the best way to get only the beverages I want for my mini-bar?

Since you mention that you know you won't have a fridge in the outside cabin (so not in a suite), I am a bit confused about the water and six cans of soda in your cabin? We have had veranda, and inside cabins and never had that kind of set-up.

While one can bring soda on board, it's kind of a hassle when flying to the port. They won't let you take the soda on the plane in your carry on so it has to go in checked luggage. Which makes that heavier as well as creates a risk of leakage.

We fly in the day before and buy our soft drinks at the port. I agree with not bringing them from home on the plane (my sister did this once and the drink leaked all over the suitcase - what a mess!

Since you mention that you know you won't have a fridge in the outside cabin (so not in a suite), I am a bit confused about the water and six cans of soda in your cabin? We have had veranda, and inside cabins and never had that kind of set-up.

In my experience, with outside cabins without coolers, the standard beverage is set up on the counter/desk, next to the tray with the ice bucket.

In my experience, with outside cabins without coolers, the standard beverage is set up on the counter/desk, next to the tray with the ice bucket.

Interesting. IIRC we did not have that on the Amsterdam in 2007 in a fully obstructed oceanview.

Also my (extensive) experience in inside cabins on S- & R-class ships.

The Prinsendam, Vista, and Signature class ships, of course, have the fridge in every cabin.

Also my (extensive) experience in inside cabins on S- & R-class ships.

The Prinsendam, Vista, and Signature class ships, of course, have the fridge in every cabin.

Interesting. I must be mistaken about that Amsterdam cruise. It sad when the memory goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting. I must be mistaken about that Amsterdam cruise. It sad when the memory goes.

Or, you're constantly learning new and exciting things that you 'didn't know' before! ;p

Or, you're constantly learning new and exciting things that you 'didn't know' before! ;p

That too, but I was there so it isn't new. That said, it was my first dam cruise and second cruise overall so it may have been information that wasn't important enough to register!