Antarctica

Scenic Eclipse is going to have helicopters, as well as below sea submarine.

I remember you getting a twin suite to yourself with a last minute booking on your last voyage and thought you deserved it! Especially with a couple of your prior experiences sharing!

I knew it was one of the S ones - yes Scenic! It looks way too posh for my liking tho.

Yes of my 3 sharing experiences - 2 were ummmmmm - well I didnt toss either of them overboard but man I came close !

I have booked! I am going on Quark's 23rd November Falklands/St Georgia/Antarctica cruise on the Ocean Endeavour. I was lucky. They reduced the price last week, then Qantas put on a sale for airfares to Sth America. Everything fell into place for me. I just have to pick up a few personal items - snow pants, new thermals, gloves. The trip is expensive, but I am sure it will be worth it. :)

We sailed on the ocean endeavor last November. We only went to the the peninsula. It was a most fabulous trip! I loved the size of the ship. The expedition crew was top notch. The zodiacs were fun. We camped one night and did the polar plunge. We saw all 4 kinds of penguins and seals,also a pod of orca swam along side. We even had a BBQ on deck one evening in the cold. It is expensive but well worth every $.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have booked! I am going on Quark's 23rd November Falklands/St Georgia/Antarctica cruise on the Ocean Endeavour. I was lucky. They reduced the price last week, then Qantas put on a sale for airfares to Sth America. Everything fell into place for me. I just have to pick up a few personal items - snow pants, new thermals, gloves. The trip is expensive, but I am sure it will be worth it. :)

Not just lucky, well prepared able to make a quick decision, when the price reduced. Well done with Qantas reduced fares in peak season.

We are booked for Feb'18 from an early bird sale with Quark, last year and its still a great price. Just grabbed cheap AirNZ flights. We have the thermals, just gotta put in the order for our jacket and boots..

It will be interesting to hear about your trip.

Not just lucky, well prepared able to make a quick decision, when the price reduced. Well done with Qantas reduced fares in peak season.

I could only make the decision because I had done a lot of research and knew what I want to do and I knew a 'bargain' when I saw one. Although, travelling to the Antarctic isn't really a bargain!

We are booked for Feb'18 from an early bird sale with Quark, last year and its still a great price. Just grabbed cheap AirNZ flights. We have the thermals, just gotta put in the order for our jacket and boots..

It will be interesting to hear about your trip.

I saw the cheap Air NZ flights and probably should have booked that rather than Qantas - it's costing more, but I have got Premium Economy for the flight over to Sth America. I have the deal with one night's hotel accommodation in Buenos Aires, then flight to Ushuaia. Everything is adding on to the cost - even the transfer from the BA airport to the hotel is expensive, but maybe I am better to take that rather than risk an unsafe transfer. I will be travelling alone and don't want to be a target.

I have been reading through Quark's 'packing list'. I have some stuff, but am dashing around the shops and on line before all the winter gear has been sold. Living in Brisbane, I don't have a lot of use for winter gear. I have one set of Damart thermals, but bought another set today at Anaconda.

When I get home in mid December, I can put a report here on this thread. If you want more info, just let me have your email address and we can be in contact. Which itinerary are you doing?

Sounds great, enjoy the adventure !!:p I hope Drake Passage is kind !!

Sounds great, enjoy the adventure !!:p I hope Drake Passage is kind !!

Hope so. On two previous occasions we have done a cruise around South America that goes to that part of the world, but I know it is not the same as crossing the Drake Passage. On one of those cruises the weather was great although it was too rough for us to tender into the Falklands. On the other cruise, we had 10 metre seas before getting to Cape Horn, but lovely weather when we were at the 'bottom'.

Hope so. On two previous occasions we have done a cruise around South America that goes to that part of the world, but I know it is not the same as crossing the Drake Passage. On one of those cruises the weather was great although it was too rough for us to tender into the Falklands. On the other cruise, we had 10 metre seas before getting to Cape Horn, but lovely weather when we were at the 'bottom'.

Enjoy, we got into Falklands in March 2014 on Golden Princess by tender. BA to LA. Ye olde Cape Horn was a bit rough, well only 7 metre seas, not too bad.:')

• 3 weeks later...
I saw the cheap Air NZ flights and probably should have booked that rather than Qantas - it's costing more, but I have got Premium Economy for the flight over to Sth America. I have the deal with one night's hotel accommodation in Buenos Aires, then flight to Ushuaia. Everything is adding on to the cost - even the transfer from the BA airport to the hotel is expensive, but maybe I am better to take that rather than risk an unsafe transfer. I will be travelling alone and don't want to be a target.

I have been reading through Quark's 'packing list'. I have some stuff, but am dashing around the shops and on line before all the winter gear has been sold. Living in Brisbane, I don't have a lot of use for winter gear. I have one set of Damart thermals, but bought another set today at Anaconda.

When I get home in mid December, I can put a report here on this thread. If you want more info, just let me have your email address and we can be in contact. Which itinerary are you doing?

Which BA Airport are you arriving in? We arrived at the close to the city airport and the taxi rank was well managed there, so only regulated taxis. I know there is a second airport further out, so a transfer may be cheaper from there. I would check with the hotel where you are staying in BA for best option.

Which BA Airport are you arriving in? We arrived at the close to the city airport and the taxi rank was well managed there, so only regulated taxis. I know there is a second airport further out, so a transfer may be cheaper from there. I would check with the hotel where you are staying in BA for best option.

Main international airport is EZE, half hour out from city. One near city is Jorge Newberry, quite close to cruise terminals, but that caters for both international and domestic flights. Flew into BA from Sydney on LAN then later on to Igauzu on LAN from Jorge Newberry.

Both are fairly modern airports, but it is South America and chaos prevails at times, the taxi drivers can be persistent.

For a decent BA hotel, might I recommend Intersur at Recoleta. Nice area, close to Eva Peron Grave, restaurants, retail therapy, museums and more importantly the cruise terminal. Had 5 nights there in 2014, pre cruise, BA to LA.

Edited by NSWP

The airport I fly into is EZE. My husband isn't interested in this trip so I am travelling alone :(. As a woman travelling alone, I felt it was best to be safe so have booked a transfer through my travel agent. Incidentally, she has been great. I am going to the Emperador Hotel in the Recoleta district. I then have a second night there as part of my tour. I could have got cheaper hotels, but in the end I decided to book into the hotel where I have to meet the tour the next day. I could probably have saved $50, but I would have had two transfers plus the bother of changing hotels. I also thought, if I changed hotels, I would have my luggage when I swapped hotels and might have to sit for a few hours before I could check into the Emperador. By staying in the same hotel, I can head out in the morning of my sightseeing day, leaving my luggage in my room. I have been to BA twice before, but I will still do some sightseeing.:)

The airport I fly into is EZE. My husband isn't interested in this trip so I am travelling alone :(. As a woman travelling alone, I felt it was best to be safe so have booked a transfer through my travel agent. Incidentally, she has been great. I am going to the Emperador Hotel in the Recoleta district. I then have a second night there as part of my tour. I could have got cheaper hotels, but in the end I decided to book into the hotel where I have to meet the tour the next day. I could probably have saved $50, but I would have had two transfers plus the bother of changing hotels. I also thought, if I changed hotels, I would have my luggage when I swapped hotels and might have to sit for a few hours before I could check into the Emperador. By staying in the same hotel, I can head out in the morning of my sightseeing day, leaving my luggage in my room. I have been to BA twice before, but I will still do some sightseeing.:)

Good idea to stay at the same hotel your tour leaves from. We wished we had booked at a hotel, instead of an AirBnB apartment, when our arrival flight got diverted from BA to Monte Video ? due to a storm. Our host had not only gone home but had reported us to AirBnB for our non arrival/non advice. And this was only the first part of day one of our first visit to BA and adventure cruise to Antarctica!

• 3 weeks later...
Peregrine, Eclipse and Wild Earth have all sent out their big sale emails this week. The US companies have another big sale a couple of days before Thanksgiving - black Thursday or Friday ? I can never remember.

Black Friday...the day after Thanksgiving.