Did you like JiJi Asian Kitchen?

brepri_h

I’m not usually a specialty restaurant person BUT the new JiJi Asian Kitchen is intriguing me. How did you like it? I’m not a huge fan of the new MDR menus so I’m considering venturing out. Thanks!

Edited by brepri_h
formatting

It was FABULOUS! We went early + the service was over the top. The duck is an absolute must. Highly recommend.

Oh good to know! Thank you for taking the time to respond! Funny I read an older post and someone else said the same thing about the duck!

Funny story about the duck... my wife is a very picky eater, and to convince her to go to JiJi I had to pre-plan her meal showing her that there was something that she would eat on each course. For the app course, we went with the chicken spring rolls ( might be egg rolls ) for her, and I got the duck.

When it was brought out, she looked at mine and asked if she might try it. I am all for having her try new things, so I said sure. She took a small bite, looked down at her spring rolls, and pushed them to my side of the table and took my duck!

It is fall off the bone, tender, and extremely delicious. She gets it every time we eat their now.

JiJi overall is a very good experience, I like it better than Cucina. Though I prefer Asian food to Italian. I hope you decide to go and try it out.

It is absolutely fabulous!! My DH doesnt like that kind of food but he has changed his mind since dining there. He wants to go there now every cruise it is available. For the small amount charged it is well worth it and a nice break from the crowded, noisy MDR.

We ate at JiJi's on the Vista and enjoyed our meal immensely. The duck (my entree) was indeed superb.

We also enjoyed our meal in the Vista Steakhouse, it was up to the usual high standards I expect from eating in various Carnival Steakhouses over the years. However, I wouldn't bother with the Italian place for dinner, it was horrible, worse than the Olive Garden. Only good item was the antipasto. This Bronx Italian won't eat there again.

I love reading all of your experiences! Thank you! I think for $15 JiJi's is definitely worth trying after hearing so many positive things. My husband likes duck so I am sure he will be thrilled! I've never tried it but just might after all these great reviews! I don't eat beef at all and my husband likes it but doesn't love it so the Steakhouse never made sense for us. I tried the Italian for lunch once and was not impressed.

;pOrder the Duck then order the Duck and order one to go. If you leave JiJi"s hungry you did some thing wrong. Well worth the $30. We always leave a tip even though it is included in the price. Great service great food how can you beat it. Also try the Italian restaurant it's fantastic.

OP - the steakhouse is truly worth a try. They have a huge lobster tail, lamb and even a vegetarian option. The service is impeccable and the food delicious and elegant. You don't have to be a huge steak fan to enjoy it and eating such a high quality steak might make you more a fan!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can book once on board or in advance but do not wait too long - they do book up. We waited to do Cucinia on one cruise til about day 3 and they were full. We waitlisted and just happened to be popping into our cabin when they called at 2 pm for an opening at 730 that night. The steakhouse will go first followed by JIjis.

For us it is easy to simply book on line. I already have our reservations for our October cruise!

My, you folks are making me hungry for some roast duck. I am an old China hand and appreciate the delicate and bold flavors of Chinese food. I have not been on a ship yet with a Jiji's but do look forward to it.

I would appreciate anyone who could comment on the authenticity of the flavors? I ask this because I have often been disappointed by the modifications made to Asian dishes to make them more to Western tastes (read that bland IMHO.)

I was very impressed with the Steakhouse on the Miracle, both food and presentation. I hope Carnival's Jiji offering is the same. I wonder how they picked the name? Any Mandarin speaker must be chuckling.

My, you folks are making me hungry for some roast duck. I am an old China hand and appreciate the delicate and bold flavors of Chinese food. I have not been on a ship yet with a Jiji's but do look forward to it.

I would appreciate anyone who could comment on the authenticity of the flavors? I ask this because I have often been disappointed by the modifications made to Asian dishes to make them more to Western tastes (read that bland IMHO.)

I was very impressed with the Steakhouse on the Miracle, both food and presentation. I hope Carnival's Jiji offering is the same. I wonder how they picked the name? Any Mandarin speaker must be chuckling.

I am by no means a native Chinese food expert but have had some exposure through family friends and exchange students.

Jiji's is a collection of selections from all over Asia - not just china. And they are unique from many dishes I have eaten in American restaurants both Chinese and otherwise. You can pull up the menu on the website and you will see what I mean.

I have found the food flavorful and when they indicate a dish is spicy, I found it to be so. But for comparison, I order my Indian food medium - hot is way too hot for me!

All the staff - both wait and chef - are Asian as opposed to the kitchen where most are from India.

I saw on the Sunshine that JiJi is free for lunch. Is there a big difference between what is served for lunch and dinner?

Yes there is.

At lunch it's a Mongolian wok (you pick your veggies and meat and sauce and they wok it for you).

At dinner, it's a sit down restaurant with a menu and you select your appetizer, entrée, side and dessert.

Go. Just go. Best bang for your buck deal at sea! We have eaten at specialty restaurants on multiple cruise lines and while Jiji's is not the best, it is the best for the money. Went twice last year on Sunshine and both times were fabulous.

I saw on the Sunshine that JiJi is free for lunch. Is there a big difference between what is served for lunch and dinner?

Yes. They are nothing alike. Lunch is a stir fry/Mongolian wok. Dinner is appetizers, entree and dessert of high quality and unique flavors.