Message in a bottle washed up

Got a friend in the Navy who has sent me these photos. He did a cruise earlier and tossed a few messages in a bottle over the side. Instead of leaving his real name on the note he put his current occupation and number. For privacy reasons I have erased the phone number but his messages washed up last April and were thrown into the Tasman in January.

There are 2 files 1m which was found on 16th April at a place called Double Island Point. The file 2m was found on 18th April at Evans Head

1m.jpg.e317965bf8baac3295fd6a3e95d26c2c.jpg

2m.jpg.c2964ba44c313759972684e6745385ef.jpg

Wouldn't throwing things overboard have gotten him into a lot of trouble if he had been found out?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes. Absolutely not allowed to throw anything overboard. :)

Back in the 1980s there weren't any such restrictions. On one of our cruises on the Fairstar (probably 1983 or 84) one of the Kids Club activities was to get an empty bottle, put a note in it and throw it over the side on the last night before arriving in Sydney. Seven or eight years later it was found on the beach in Princess Charlotte Bay (way, way north of Cairns). Our son had put his name and address and a message about being on a deserted island and put a date that was several years in the past. The finder who was a teacher realised the writing was a child's and that the content of the message was a joke. He had simply checked the phone book and phoned and asked if XXXXX still lived at that address. He was happy to reach the writer of the message and we were pleased to get his call.

Yes. Absolutely not allowed to throw anything overboard. :)

Back in the 1980s there weren't any such restrictions. On one of our cruises on the Fairstar (probably 1983 or 84) one of the Kids Club activities was to get an empty bottle, put a note in it and throw it over the side on the last night before arriving in Sydney. Seven or eight years later it was found on the beach in Princess Charlotte Bay (way, way north of Cairns). Our son had put his name and address and a message about being on a deserted island and put a date that was several years in the past. The finder who was a teacher realised the writing was a child's and that the content of the message was a joke. He had simply checked the phone book and phoned and asked if XXXXX still lived at that address. He was happy to reach the writer of the message and we were pleased to get his call.

Mrs Gut has had a pen friend in England for over 50 years. One of her classmates was in a cruise and each class member put a letter in a bottle and they were thrown over along the way. Mrs Guts Anty found one and gave it to her, they've been corresponding ever since, nowadays it's Facebook and email.

He knew it was against certain polices but was more interested in the stories mentioned above and science hence that is why he put the time, date and GPS coordinates on the note and made a note of where they were found. He reckons stuff like this helps scientists if you send them the information. I saw him in Melbourne in April the same day a note washed up and he got the text and we were curious if cyclone Debbie had any effect on pulling the bottles in so fast.

He knew it was against certain polices but was more interested in the stories mentioned above and science hence that is why he put the time, date and GPS coordinates on the note and made a note of where they were found. He reckons stuff like this helps scientists if you send them the information. I saw him in Melbourne in April the same day a note washed up and he got the text and we were curious if cyclone Debbie had any effect on pulling the bottles in so fast.

Throwing something overboard from a ship isn't just against certain policies. It is rather more serious than that and I really doubt that his 'experiment' would help scientists.

Interesting how someone in the Navy would blatantly break the rules and put his job in jeopardy.

Throwing something overboard from a ship isn't just against certain policies. It is rather more serious than that and I really doubt that his 'experiment' would help scientists.

Obviously neither of you know the Navy and are familiar with what goes over the side once a navy ship is at sea!

Also this article might need a read - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-04/drift-bottle-experiment-started-near-fiji-ends-on-nsw-coast/8496914

Obviously neither of you know the Navy and are familiar with what goes over the side once a navy ship is at sea!

Also this article might need a read - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-04/drift-bottle-experiment-started-near-fiji-ends-on-nsw-coast/8496914

But he wasn't on a Navy ship. He was on a cruise ship that has strict environmental controls. And if the Navy has been putting a lot of 'stuff' overboard into the sea, maybe it is time they reviewed their behaviour in view of modern environmental practices.

Correct, I know next to nothing about Navy matters but he was not on a Navy vessel but on a cruise ship and was not conducting a science experiment with the cruise lines permission.

But he wasn't on a Navy ship. He was on a cruise ship that has strict environmental controls. And if the Navy has been putting a lot of 'stuff' overboard into the sea, maybe it is time they reviewed their behaviour in view of modern environmental practices.

Well I am not the fun police and I think that it is a great story and I find it amusing that the bottles actually washed up and people bothered to contact him.

I have been on plenty of cruise ship balcony cabins enjoying the lazy days at sea and I can tell you that I have seen bottles go over the side before as well as paper planes. I think this sort of behaviour is very widespread but I just couldn't be bothered getting worked up about it.

I am all for having fun but littering is not one of them. As one campaign says 'littering just makes you a tosser'. Messages in a bottle is old school technology.

How do you feel about the pollution coming from the funnel and the incinerating of garbage putting toxins into the atmosphere?

How do you feel about the pollution coming from the funnel and the incinerating of garbage putting toxins into the atmosphere?

I am not happy about that either but it is allowed/accepted while littering is not.

Ease up on Sutho's navy " friend" he is obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed... he cannot even spell ...it's roof tiler..not roof tyler.......unless his name is Ruth Tyler.:D

Ease up on Sutho's navy " friend" he is obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed... he cannot even spell ...it's roof tiler..not roof tyler.......unless his name is Ruth Tyler.:D

I thought he was the love child from Steve out of Aerosmith.

maybe, someone should go through previous posts and highlight who actually is the Fun-Police, if ya can be bothered.

Not sure how to multi quote 100 odd posts.:)

????????????????????

maybe, someone should go through previous posts and highlight who actually is the Fun-Police, if ya can be bothered.

Not sure how to multi quote 100 odd posts.:)

I know, just don't get me started on tipping the indigenous guides.:rolleyes: