Whats next for Eclipse?

gordylad

The absolute earliest we may know something will not be until possibly Oct/Nov/Dec this year when Celebrity could start announcing 2019 Summer Deployment though that timeframe is not a certainty. I would be willing to bet she may head north to Seattle/Vancouver for Summer 2019, but that's just a guess.

We left the Infinity on May 2nd, and while onboard we booked the 2019 Buenos Aires to Valparaiso and then Valparaiso to San Diego legs for a B2B. We would love to add the San Diego to where-ever next leg for a B2B2B (we really don't care where it goes). I asked the Infinity Future Cruise Sales manager, who we have known for several years, if there were any rumors on the Eclipse deployment after San Diego, and there only seems to be speculation.

I am not sure if a Solstice Class ship would be able to sail under the Bridge of the Americas in Panama and do a full canal transit through the new locks to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale or not, so that leads me to think the fact she ends her SA season on the West coast that Alaska is a likely summer routing. Arriving into San Diego on April 8th would seem a bit early to head to Seattle/Vancouver so maybe she will do Hawaii or Mexico or California Coastal for 2-3 weeks before heading north - just pure conjecture on my part.

IF Eclipse heads to the Alaska region for 2019 does she replace theSolstice or does she replace the Infinity or Millenium, or will celebrity be adding a 4th ship to Alaska to increase capacity in the region????? With the Celebrity Edge in the mix it raises some interesting questions on deployment for the rest of the fleet :confused::confused::confused:

So I looked at the Spring 2019 sailings for Solstice, Millennium and Infinity. The last published cruises are on Solstice a 10nt from Hawaii ending in Vancouver May 10th, Millennium a 13nt Transpacific ending Vancouver May 10th and the Infinity a 4nt Bahamas ending on April 22nd.

With the last Eclipse sailing listed as arriving San Diego on April 8th I am inclined to believe that we will see Millennium, Solstice and Eclipse in Alaska for 2019 and the Infinity stays either stateside (from Florida or New Jersey) or heads to Europe. Will be interesting to watch

So I looked at the Spring 2019 sailings for Solstice, Millennium and Infinity. The last published cruises are on Solstice a 10nt from Hawaii ending in Vancouver May 10th, Millennium a 13nt Transpacific ending Vancouver May 10th and the Infinity a 4nt Bahamas ending on April 22nd.

With the last Eclipse sailing listed as arriving San Diego on April 8th I am inclined to believe that we will see Millennium, Solstice and Eclipse in Alaska for 2019 and the Infinity stays either stateside (from Florida or New Jersey) or heads to Europe. Will be interesting to watch

I'm inclined to agree with you about the Eclipse going to Alaska replacing the Infinity. There has been a thread speculating that 2 of the M class ships are up for sale. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

With all the M-Class just going through significant refurbs in the last year or so I'm inclined to say all the M-Class ships will stay in the fleet to allow modest growth during the introduction of the Edge class. I'd be willing to wager the first M-Class leaves around the time Edge #3 launches, though I could be dead wrong on that. I think the Celebrity brand could do with 12-14 "mainstream" ships vs the current 9 which would help with diversification of itineraries. I don't count the Xpedition ships as thats really a completely separate product under the Celebrity umbrella

Don't look for Eclipse to go through the Panama Canal. The S class ships' lifeboats make them too wide for either the old or new canals. This according to several officers on Eclipse as of earlier this year.

I've been doing some research on your claim here. According to a well known web site for information the new Panama Canal Locks will allow ships of 1200 ft in length and 161 feet in width with a 50 foot draft. The Eclipse has a beam of 120 feet 9 inches. The Norwegian Breakaway and the Norwegian Getaway have size dimensions which are considerably larger than the Eclipse at 130 ft wide and 169.7 feet tall from the waterline. They will fit through the new Canal locks. The Bridge of the Americas has a clearance of 201 feet so height clearance should be no problem. So I'm thinking your numbers or concepts don't add up in spite of what you think you heard.

Don't look for Eclipse to go through the Panama Canal. The S class ships' lifeboats make them too wide for either the old or new canals. This according to several officers on Eclipse as of earlier this year.

I've been doing some research on your claim here. According to a well known web site for information the new Panama Canal Locks will allow ships of 1200 ft in length and 161 feet in width with a 50 foot draft. The Eclipse has a beam of 120 feet 9 inches. The Norwegian Breakaway and the Norwegian Getaway have size dimensions which are considerably larger than the Eclipse at 130 ft wide and 169.7 feet tall from the waterline. They will fit through the new Canal locks. The Bridge of the Americas has a clearance of 201 feet so height clearance should be no problem. So I'm thinking your numbers or concepts don't add up in spite of what you think you heard.

Hello John!

Thanks for posting this; :cool: I was just about to post to his statement, "Unless the lifeboats are sticking out 40 FEET ( and they are not), then that can't be true."

I would LOVE to do another Hawaii Cruise! We look for the 15-night or 16-night itineraries that go across, and then back from CA.

Why do you suppose the Captain and the Chief Engineer said that then?

I have no idea, but if you think about it, you can see that the lifeboats would have NOTHING to do with making the ship too wide. They are WAAAAAAY above the walls of the locks.

Eclipse%20Hull_zpsdzblxubs.jpg

You can see that they are NOT sticking out AND the lifeboats are about 50 feet above the waterline.

Hello John!

Thanks for posting this; :cool: I was just about to post to his statement, "Unless the lifeboats are sticking out 40 FEET ( and they are not), then that can't be true."

I would LOVE to do another Hawaii Cruise! We look for the 15-night or 16-night itineraries that go across, and then back from CA.

Exactly what officers? The people running the lock system are the ones with the knowledge I'd say.

How interesting rumours are! We were told by officers on our last cruise that an S class ship was going to be moved to the Far East (China, Japan....) for the Summer season in the not too distant future. We 'assumed' this may be Solstice with Eclipse replacing her in Alaska....

How interesting rumours are! We were told by officers on our last cruise that an S class ship was going to be moved to the Far East (China, Japan....) for the Summer season in the not too distant future. We 'assumed' this may be Solstice with Eclipse replacing her in Alaska....

This is what I thought,they will follow RCCL to put a bigger capacity ship there like Solstice Class ship to Far East to replace the M Class ship.

Edge will replace one of the S Class ship in the Caribbean itineraries.

Edited by iSailor