Am I crazy, or has Windjammer improved immensely?

I've always preferred the Windjammer for breakfast. They have a better selection, and I especially enjoy miso soup, which is only available in the Windjammer.

I've never 'specially enjoyed them for lunch. I think it's because they tend to be more crowded at my typical lunchtime, and I really like the MDR's lunches ... and the tutti salad.

I don't enjoy the atmosphere in the Windjammer for dinner. Can't really say why.

I am currently on Harmony on the last day of a 7day cruise. I've only eaten in Windjammer one time and that was for lunch on the first port day. It wasn't crowded then but we walked through it one other time and it was super crowded. The food that I had for lunch was pretty good. A big improvement from our last RCI cruise two years ago is the hand-washing station at the entrance that you are forced to go through. What a great idea. Hundreds of people touching the same serving tongs is a breeding ground for germs but the new hand-washing station alleviates this somewhat. Harmony has so many good restaurant choices which is why we have been avoiding the Windjammer.

I think to improve my Windjammer experience, I will bring two towels and place them on chairs at a table so I can go look for my food and come back to a table. If you see my towel unattended for 30 minutes, please feel free to have the attendants remove it.

But would you angrily confront someone if you came back to find someone at your table? :p

Done 3 crises the last year, Ovation, Brilliance and just on Explorer now.... I've noticed a huge increase in the taste and quality of the food in the Windjammer. Thoughts?

Never been disappointed with Windjammer...never do it for dinner though.

Thought on jewel food was very good

Last year was our first cruise on RCCL, and hopefully, not our last. (Oasis).

We really enjoyed the Windjammer from B, L, and D.

Thought the selections and food were great!!!!

Breakfast was my fave!:')

I think to improve my Windjammer experience, I will bring two towels and place them on chairs at a table so I can go look for my food and come back to a table. If you see my towel unattended for 30 minutes, please feel free to have the attendants remove it.

Lol. Chair hogs in the WJ -- Who would have thought?

I am currently on Harmony on the last day of a 7day cruise. I've only eaten in Windjammer one time and that was for lunch on the first port day. It wasn't crowded then but we walked through it one other time and it was super crowded. The food that I had for lunch was pretty good. A big improvement from our last RCI cruise two years ago is the hand-washing station at the entrance that you are forced to go through. What a great idea. Hundreds of people touching the same serving tongs is a breeding ground for germs but the new hand-washing station alleviates this somewhat. Harmony has so many good restaurant choices which is why we have been avoiding the Windjammer.

We enjoyed the Harmony WJ in April. We ate most meals there. You can not beat the Mongolian Stir Fry station in the back! While Windjammers vary from ship to ship we love sitting outside on the smaller ships.

In this case would you be a "Table Hog"?

Sticking to my things vary comment, I just got off Adventure and thought how good that sauer kraut tasted!

I believe you are so right! A couple years ago on the Independence out of Lauderdale we had the steak that is offered every night on the MDR menu. It's down there with the chicken breast and pasta that are offered every night. It was a perfectly cut, thick, tender and juicy piece of meat. We ordered it a couple nights after to go with the Lobster tail. In all of our previous and now post cruises that steak is a thin little piece of meat. Does not compare. When I posted a while back someone said it depends on the chef on that ship.

I find myself hoping in all subsequent cruises for that same steak to arrive when I order that entree. It has never happened again

Tigers2425

... I find myself hoping in all subsequent cruises for that same steak to arrive when I order that entree. It has never happened again��

Tigers2425

Our experience with that "free" steak n the MDR menu has been poor, about a 50/50 chance of getting something tough and gristly. I don't even try anymore.

Our experience with that "free" steak n the MDR menu has been poor, about a 50/50 chance of getting something tough and gristly. I don't even try anymore.

Luckily it doesn't take long to cook.

Just keep sending it back.

Eventually they will get it right

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Luckily it doesn't take long to cook.

Just keep sending it back.

Eventually they will get it right

Takes too long, people at the table might be uncomfortable, just not worth the hassle to me with other things I enjoy eating on the menu.

It's funny you mention this because we did NCL last fall and thought the buffet was immensely better than RCCL and thought Royal had slipped in the buffet area. Now we are booked on Anthem and will be curious to see how the Windjammer improved or stayed the same. Royal Caribbean is our preferred cruise line afterall.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

The hot cookies, fresh from the WJ oven on Quantum were amazing. Hope Anthem has them too! You'll find them in the area with all the freshly baked bread.

I find complaining about the WJ to be like going to Golden Corral and complaining it is cheap buffet food.

It is what it is. Accept it and it will be fine. You go there and you know what it is. Don't pretend it is more and your needs will be met.

I need a like button for this!

I really don't know what people expect at a buffet where they preparing food for 2000 plus or more passengers depending on the ship. My god people you are not going to get 5 star food at a buffet on a ship! If you can't find nothing with all the available selections then maybe you need to try other types of vacations whee you can eat 5 star meals for breakfast lunch and dinner! Geez!

I really don't know what people expect at a buffet where they preparing food for 2000 plus or more passengers depending on the ship.

The way I see it is that as the number of paying passengers increases so does the number of kitchen staff that can afford to be employed. An argument that volume makes it impossible to for example butcher meat to a restaurant standard is thus easily shown to be flawed.

The quality of the meals at the buffets varies by cruise line. Royal positions itself in the lower quartile for buffet food and they robustly deliver at this. Royal fills their ships with passengers paying $100 a day and at this price point their food options make complete sense. It's this latter point that is the reason that passengers should not expect too much from the buffet; Royal is for profit and so is acting to turn a profit even from those who have paid very little for their vacation. To some extent their is class segregation for those who pay more through up-sell restaurants and differential treatment for suite guests and so a more diverse audience is catered for beyond their bread-and-butter demographic.