Unauthorised Transactions today - Princess Cruises

maximusas

Perhaps we in oz will not be affected as normally we use debit cards for the account as we arr charged 2% or thereabout for using a credit card with the carnival companies so mostly use debit card with no additional charge

Perhaps we in oz will not be affected as normally we use debit cards for the account as we arr charged 2% or thereabout for using a credit card with the carnival companies so mostly use debit card with no additional charge

It looks as though it might just be UK affected. We are also charged for credit cards, I paid by debit card and my bank account now shows a £3000 pending debit.

Really hoping that is does not actually come out.

We are also charged 1-2% in the UK, but some people like to use their CC for the financial security it also brings for any purchases over £100. What a lot of people don't know is that, say your cruise cost you £1000 but you only had to pay a deposit of £50 say, even if you only pay the deposit on your CC and the larger final balance on your DD. The financial security provided by your CC still covers you for the entire holiday cost.

We are also charged 1-2% in the UK, but some people like to use their CC for the financial security it also brings for any purchases over £100. What a lot of people don't know is that, say your cruise cost you £1000 but you only had to pay a deposit of £50 say, even if you only pay the deposit on your CC and the larger final balance on your DD. The financial security provided by your CC still covers you for the entire holiday cost.

You only have to pay £1 with a credit card and as long as the purchase is over £100 you are covered

You only have to pay £1 with a credit card and as long as the purchase is over £100 you are covered

I know, just wanted to quote some sensible figures so people didn't think I was exaggerating.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

The credit card charge is one of the reasons I always book our Princess Cruises through Trailfinders. The price and any offers are the same, but Trailfinders do not charge a credit card fee. Also, by paying my balance to Trailfinders, this issue of duplicate charges has not affected me. Princess have recharged the Future Cruise Deposits I purchased on board in March though, but that only comes to £150, so we have not been affected as much as others.

The same notice appears on the Oz princess website now as well.

Logged in this morning and they have credited 2 out of the 3 so far - all 5 transactions still pending though.

Now received an email from both cruise lines. This is the Princess one:

Important Information: Payment Processing Error

I want to inform you that we have been notified by our third party payment processor that they incorrectly processed a pre-authorisation transaction yesterday against your card. This has been reversed overnight. As a consequence, no monies have been taken from your account. We apologise if this had caused you any concern or any inconvenience.

We are able to confirm that this was not a result of a security breach and that no personal information has been compromised.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter, we recommend in the first instance you contact your bank who has been made aware of this situation. If they are not able to resolve the matter, we recommend that your bank contacts Elavon Merchant Services on this number 0345 600 0292.

Tony Roberts

Vice President, Princess Cruises UK and Europe

I have just had the same email from Princess, I made the original payment for my cruise via debit card and they have taken the full cost of several thousand pounds again, this has cleaned out my current account and put me into overdraft. My bank cannot assist as the payment has been processed, Evalon Merchant Services state that they made a refund which may take several days to appear in my account. Princess needs to do more than refund overdraft fees as damage is done to credit ratings etc. Not pleased!!!!

I have just had the same email from Princess, I made the original payment for my cruise via debit card and they have taken the full cost of several thousand pounds again, this has cleaned out my current account and put me into overdraft. My bank cannot assist as the payment has been processed, Evalon Merchant Services state that they made a refund which may take several days to appear in my account. Princess needs to do more than refund overdraft fees as damage is done to credit ratings etc. Not pleased!!!!

10689459_10152834981960782_3516855133407788865_n.png?oh=0b62f6104cc07df1a73aae881ff752fa&oe=597703AC

P&O Cruises for the majority of banks and card providers, the money should go back into your account within the next five bank working days.

I am assuming that the same applies to Princess, it is simply not good enough and the email from Princess just gives the impression that it is not their problem. Not impressed with them at all.

Not happy at all !!!!! I tried to withdraw cash from an ATM this evening to be told I have insufficient funds. Phoned my bank who tell me there is a pending amount of £2958 to be paid to Princess from my current account (which I paid on 3rd March). Can't access any funds and if taken will make me seriously overdrawn with penalty charges. Have tried to phone Princess but just hear a recorded message saying they are aware of the problem and have no updates on resolution at present. Sort this out Princess .... and fast!!!!

I'm Fuming too :mad::mad::mad:

Princess have illegally kept our personal (CC) details !!!

We paid our cruise in full in April - & today they have taken the payment again !!!

My TA tells me that it will take about 7 WORKING DAYS for the refund !!!

Hope Sky News + BBC + ITV know about this !!!!

In these days of "faster payments" I don't understand why it is going to take so long to refund us. Given the financial problems it is causing someone should be able to move things along but there seems to be no sense of urgency.

I have had the same and am rather pissed off and shall be demanding compensation for the inconvenience from princess as my contract is with princess and no body else they have a contract with the third party company they are blaming? They also do not have the authority to store my card info for future use or to pass it over to a third party company so have in fact committed fraud by doing so.

This could be my last booking with princess unless they come up with an apology and some compensation.:mad:

That's our practice as well. We also get notification from Captial One and LifeLock if they see something unusual.

Huh. I had LifeLock. They called me 5 times in one day about my year coming to an end and payment was due to renew. BUT, when I asked how come they never called me when I had fraud on three of my cards they said that they don't do that. They only call when your identity has been stolen. That's why I laugh at their commercials. Their commercials says exactly that they do what they expressly told me they didn't do. And what they actually didn't do. Cancelled that day.

I'm Fuming too :mad::mad::mad:

Princess have illegally kept our personal (CC) details !!!

We paid our cruise in full in April - & today they have taken the payment again !!!

My TA tells me that it will take about 7 WORKING DAYS for the refund !!!

Hope Sky News + BBC + ITV know about this !!!!

I wonder if they keep in on file until you cruise so if you want to pre-order items like flowers, OBC, drink packages etc.?

I wonder if they keep in on file until you cruise so if you want to pre-order items like flowers, OBC, drink packages etc.?

Remember that one of the items you provide when you book and complete the information is the cc information (along with passport and other info) to be used for the cruise. As such it is available to the cruise line and not in violation of law.

Yes I agree with what you are saying but and here is the crunch I use a credit card to pay onboard expenses which I agree they can hold till the cruise is finished however I have always paid for all pre cruise payments on a debit card and it is this card they have illegally held information on and charged so they are in breach of the law in the uk.:)

Yes I agree with what you are saying but and here is the crunch I use a credit card to pay onboard expenses which I agree they can hold till the cruise is finished however I have always paid for all pre cruise payments on a debit card and it is this card they have illegally held information on and charged so they are in breach of the law in the uk.:)

It's not Princess that have kept your details, but the payment transaction company that Princess use. It's not Princess, P&O or Cunard who have taken the money, but an error by the independant payment transaction company.

The UK Data Protection Act states that they should not keep information 'For no longer than absolutely necessary'

I would say that time period would be till the end of the cruise, so I would think you'll have a hard time disputing it.

Just happened to look at my credit card and on two credit cards we have previously paid with Princess have applied (pending transactions) to take over £500 between them.

Phoned them and they have said that payments made in March appear to be being reclaimed and it is a system error.

Told me to phone my bank too but assured me they would refund it if it came off. Phoned the bank and they said until it fully debits then they can't do anything.

Double check your credit cards!!!!

:mad:

Firstly to bump the OPs post back to the original problem.

DW and I purchased cruise upgrades for a couple of cruises booked between Dec 2016 and April 2017 with extra charges of over £6000.00 from our current count by debit card. I see today that our bank have put a pending charge against the account which, if I hadn't noticed it, would have, if it had gone through,put the account into an overdraft situation. We also have banking perks we would lose if the current account holding was to go below £4000.00. As soon as I saw the charge I topped up the account to cover this problem. Now an email from Princess to those customers affected seems to want their customers and their banks to contact Elavon Merchant Services to sort it out. I must state my contract is with Princess not a third party. Princess sort it out yourself don't ask your customers and their bank to do your work for you.:mad:

Now an email from Princess to those customers affected seems to want their customers and their banks to contact Elavon Merchant Services to sort it out. I must state my contract is with Princess not a third party. Princess sort it out yourself don't ask your customers and their bank to do your work for you.:mad:

I have a thread running at the moment about UK cc charges, but I had not noticed this thread until now. I find the above to be totally unacceptable, and I think you are quite right Ron the Rev - Princess (or Cunard or whoever) should be sorting this out, not the customer!

Edited to add that I just read the email Princess sent out and it isn't as I thought. Princess are recommending that those affected contact their banks (sensible) and that the banks contact Elavon Merchant Services - so not the same thing as having to sort it yourself. Good luck getting it sorted quickly though.

Edited by mrsgoggins

The credit card charge is one of the reasons I always book our Princess Cruises through Trailfinders. The price and any offers are the same, but Trailfinders do not charge a credit card fee. Also, by paying my balance to Trailfinders, this issue of duplicate charges has not affected me. Princess have recharged the Future Cruise Deposits I purchased on board in March though, but that only comes to £150, so we have not been affected as much as others.

I actually did not mean thee CC fee for paying for the cruise but for having cover for the on board account where we are charged a % for using a CC

It is not good enough for Princess to pass this off as a third party problem. When I paid for my cruise I contacted Princess themselves and gave them my Debit Card details. The fare was paid in full and they have no excuse for keeping my details after that date. As far as I am concerned my issue is with Princess and not their third party merchant services company. In addition it took seconds to take our money I cannot understand the delay in refunding it! Somebody is sitting on an awful lot of money for the next few days! This should be reported under the Data Protection Act.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just doing our weekly online banking and the same thing has happened to us. Just over £5k taken from our debit card. Have been told it could take up to 7 working days from tomorrow. Absolutely livid. Our mortgage and other payments are due to come out of our bank next week and can obviously not be paid. Have contacted Princess and given an email address to complain!!