FYI: TSA not accepting some states driver's licenses-effective Jan.1, '18

nelblu

Yea unfortunately this state doesn't move too fast on any issues including fixing roads. Another reason to get out and head south.

Kind of OT but: I see you are from "south central" PA. That is where I say I grew up. State College? Altoona? Ducansville? Bedford? Just curious where in SCPA. Still have the rest of the family strewn about in the area.

I just renewed my DL in my state via mail. Supposedly a state that is compliant. Back when I last had to renew in person 5 years, I did have to do the whole "multiple pieces of proof" thing - passport, SS card (even though it states on it "not valid for identification"), electric bill. No star on the card. But, it does have a bar code and another kind of bar code (a mix of bar and QR it seems) on the back. On the front, it has my photo in color and a smaller one B&W. Up in the right corner, it has a small outline of the state, with the state name and "USA" inside of it.

But, no fear of traveling and being denied: I have a passport, passport card I take when I travel, and I always have my GE card in my wallet to use as my primary ID, anyway.

Kind of OT but: I see you are from "south central" PA. That is where I say I grew up. State College? Altoona? Ducansville? Bedford? Just curious where in SCPA. Still have the rest of the family strewn about in the area.

I just renewed my DL in my state via mail. Supposedly a state that is compliant. Back when I last had to renew in person 5 years, I did have to do the whole "multiple pieces of proof" thing - passport, SS card (even though it states on it "not valid for identification"), electric bill. No star on the card. But, it does have a bar code and another kind of bar code (a mix of bar and QR it seems) on the back. On the front, it has my photo in color and a smaller one B&W. Up in the right corner, it has a small outline of the state, with the state name and "USA" inside of it.

But, no fear of traveling and being denied: I have a passport, passport card I take when I travel, and I always have my GE card in my wallet to use as my primary ID, anyway.

That is where it gets tricky. In October 2020 the TSA might not accept the cards without the gold star. If your state is compliant now, then the licenses will be accepted but the different deadlines, 2018, 2020 were to give the states time to finish getting the licenses fully compliant by 2020. In my state if you renew at the office you get the more secure license since 2016. We have the system, renew in person, then next time not, then renew in person. I just renewed and it was a renew in person renewal. Our state was compliant, everyone has done the document thing years ago but the old cards did not have he Star. My new card has the Star. The notice said to get the secure card you had to do renewal in person. And it gives those who don't have to appear in person the option to come to the office and renew in person to get the secure card. My niece was up for renewal the same time but she was in the not having to go to the office group. She wanted to know what to do. Passed on to her that she should go to the office but she tends to not listen. I don't know if she did. I suspect if she didn't she does not have the Gold Star so she might be in for the rude awakening in October 2020 as her next renewal will be after that date. They also gave the option of doing the mail renewal but going to the office in person to get the secure card later but that would be an additional fee.

Edited by Charles4515

Per AARP:

Some states have raised privacy concerns, saying the ID requirements may produce information on individuals that can be compiled in a national database. “This is a game of intimidation being played out between Congress and the federal government and state governments, with ordinary citizens being squeezed in the middle,” Edward Hasbrouck of the Identity Project, a privacy advocate, told the New York Times in December.

quote]

This is not a valid concern. Yes, you are required to bring a lot of documents to prove you're a citizen and resident of the state issuing the Real ID license. The issuing authority reviews each required document for compliance, but nothing is copied or data from the documents entered into their computer.

Pennsylvania finally passed a law (today) that authorizes a compliant drivers license. The legislation is on its way to the Governor who has indicated he will sign the law. My understanding is that those who want a compliant license will have to voluntarily make that choice and pay an extra fee. The State will also continue to issue their non-compliant licenses to those who do not want to pay the extra fee.

It is not a big deal for us since we always have our Passports and also our Global Entry ID cards.

Hank

It is not a big deal for us since we always have our Passports and also our Global Entry ID cards.

Hank

Don't forget, compliant licenses are not just for flights, but military bases, federal buildings, and who knows what else in the future. Places you might not think to carry your passport or GE card.

Hank

That is nice. I have a passport and a Global Entry card and I didn't bring them with me this morning on a flight from BWI to Dallas. I left them at home. I was not crossing a foreign border. Texas is still in the US. It is no big deal not bringing them.

Don't forget, compliant licenses are not just for flights, but military bases, federal buildings, and who knows what else in the future. Places you might not think to carry your passport or GE card.

If the deadline is not extended beyond 2020 there are going to be issues with flights beyond some choosing purposely not to get the compliant license. The recent compliant states won't have finished renewal of all their residents licenses. Bound to be a lot of confusion.

Pennsylvania finally passed a law (today) that authorizes a compliant drivers license. The legislation is on its way to the Governor who has indicated he will sign the law. My understanding is that those who want a compliant license will have to voluntarily make that choice and pay an extra fee. The State will also continue to issue their non-compliant licenses to those who do not want to pay the extra fee.

Hank

Yes great news it passed 190-1 (not sure who the 1 against was). Governor needs to sign by June 6th. I do not like the idea of standard vs compliant choice for extra fee. That will still create confusion at airports I'm sure. Why not just go compliant and be done with it? Yes I forgot we are talking PA here.

KY did the same thing in approving its new license. Seems people that never fly didn't want to pay more for their licenses and cried about the increase in cost. Therefore, we will soon have two different drivers licenses, compliant and non compliant.

Edited by pinotlover
spelling

KY did the same thing in approving its new license. Seems people that never fly didn't want to pay more for their licenses and cried about the increase in cost. Therefore, we will soon have two different drivers licenses, compliant and non compliant.

And I expect there will be people who decided to get non compliant drivers licenses to save $5 showing up at airports and crying if their ID is not accepted.

Yes great news it passed 190-1 (not sure who the 1 against was). Governor needs to sign by June 6th. I do not like the idea of standard vs compliant choice for extra fee. That will still create confusion at airports I'm sure. Why not just go compliant and be done with it? Yes I forgot we are talking PA here.

Marshall, from Beaver County was the "no" vote.

The "non-compliant" option and making people pay for a REAL ID license was to make those rabid states' rights and "keeping the feds out of our business" people accept the law. They may continue to have their non-compliant license while those who want to be able to travel, enter federal buildings, milatary installations, etc. will have to pay for the privilege.

Utah's legislature, for instance, was ignorant and stupid. They are rabid "no federal intrusion" men. They have not really done a REAL ID law. But, afraid of illegals, they instituted all the ingredients of REAL ID. The Feds have declared them REAL ID compliant - pissed them off. They refuse to put the little gold star on the license. What do you expect from a bunch of old white men who also are spearheading the effort to get rid of the Utah National Monuments so they can open them up to oil and gas drilling...:rolleyes:

My understanding is that when the issue was raised a few years ago, quite a few in the State Legislature (including nearly all Democrats) objected to the Federal requirement that folks must prove they are a legal US resident to get a drivers license. This is still the issue....which is why the compromise was to have two different type licenses. I just saw a report on our local news where they interviewed an expert about our situation in PA. He says the that current license is actually compliant....but we are not compliant in how we screen applicants. Going totally compliant would mean that every drivers license holder would have to prove they are legal residents....and we can sure guess at who opposes this kind of requirement.

Hank

And I expect there will be people who decided to get non compliant drivers licenses to save $5 showing up at airports and crying if their ID is not accepted.

Or when they go downtown to the federal building and are not able to go to the social security office, or wherever. But, it appeased the naysayers, and got the bill passed. That's the important part.

Or when they go downtown to the federal building and are not able to go to the social security office, or wherever. But, it appeased the naysayers, and got the bill passed. That's the important part.

Making America Great Again - until it inconveniences them ;)

My understanding is that when the issue was raised a few years ago, quite a few in the State Legislature (including nearly all Democrats) objected to the Federal requirement that folks must prove they are a legal US resident to get a drivers license. This is still the issue....which is why the compromise was to have two different type licenses. I just saw a report on our local news where they interviewed an expert about our situation in PA. He says the that current license is actually compliant....but we are not compliant in how we screen applicants. Going totally compliant would mean that every drivers license holder would have to prove they are legal residents....and we can sure guess at who opposes this kind of requirement.

Hank

Thanks for the info. I guess our PA politicians would rather have major confusion at airports when people show up for their one flight every few years after not spending the extra fee for a compliant license. That will slow us all down for sure. So in PA I guess they will issue a license without the proper residency or citizenship background checks and the legislature is OK with that? This is just inviting illegal incidents or even terrorism. Just great. Since state borders are open it just takes one state to be the weak link in the chain.

Thanks for the info. I guess our PA politicians would rather have major confusion at airports when people show up for their one flight every few years after not spending the extra fee for a compliant license. That will slow us all down for sure.
They will probably rationalize it by saying it isn't their responsibility to help their constituents​ make good decisions.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

They will probably rationalize it by saying it isn't their responsibility to help their constituents​ make good decisions.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

That is because most politicians seem to think that only they know how to make good decisions.

That is because most politicians seem to think that only they know how to make good decisions.
Or more likely because many people understand that provision of knowledge in context is essential to make good decisions. Heck, that's a fundamental basis for Cruise Critic.