First time using a travel agent to book a cruise

angiegal

As the title says, this is the first time we've used a travel agent to book a cruise. We chose to using an agent, because I like the idea of supporting a small business and to hopefully save a bit of time and effort on my part. My husband was surprised I chose a travel agent because I am a planner and have always enjoyed doing the work for all of our vacations over the last 20 years. Just out of curiosity, for those who use a travel agent, why do you? What are some perks you've received in the past? Any horror stories out there? Any agents who've gone above and beyond for you in the past?

We use a travel agent, she's a friend in a small town where we used to live. I like to support small business, even if I don't live there anymore. I still do all the planning - I call or email her and tell her the date, the ship and the cabin I want then she lets me know my booking #. Part of why I use her is that I think if there is a problem the cruise lines are more likely to say "Yes" to a travel agent than to an individual. She sends a lot of people on cruises, I just cruise occasionally. Maybe my thinking is flawed, but she's come through for me before. I don't use her for extra stuff, but there may be a bottle of alcohol in our cabin when we board. :D

I used a TA before due to some additional perks like OBC or simply a bottle of wine. But i now book online most of the time to have complete control of my booking if I have to talk to the cruise line directly

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We use a large internet based one. Usually we get $100 OBC, some times we get nothing (we booked on the new Symphony they had nothing to give), on our Escape cruise in September we got a front ocean view cabin for $459 p/p as none of their clients were booking them.

I stopped used a TA after about 5 years ago. I had a good one and she had to take time off for medical problems. We she came back she didn't have enthusiasm for the job. Being in Canada , travel agents don't give anything more than the cruise line does.\I've that some do but haven't found one yet .

I use a small agency in the small town where I live. He gives no perks and no gifts in the cabin.

He gives great, personal service. I don't have a printer at home and he prints the original booking and every payment confirmation. He completes our on-line check-in and prints our boarding passes and our luggage tags and everything else we want printed.

While I look for price drops he applies for them when I find one. Twice when I was in his office after completing the bookings he also booked FTTF for me and he makes no commission on excursions.

Supporting small businesses at home is important to me, and he makes it an enjoyable experience.

We use a relative to give her some business.

I also do all the research . I decide on the cruise and pick a cabin.

I tell her what I want and she books it.

IF I see price drops she gets them for me without a problem.

She also prints out the paperwork I need and sends it to me in a nice folder.

We don't get any perks . We just do it to be good relatives.

We have also booked on line ourselves at times.

It is quite easy to do and I've had no trouble calling about price drops either.

Our TA always gives us some type of perk. I price the cruise directly w/ the cruiseline so I know what it should be and then ask her to price. Sometimes it's a discounted rate but most of the time it's onboard credit. Worth it for us. She handles the occasional price drop too.

I use a large online TA that I found through the site that has TAs bid for your cruise booking. Usually I can save about 10% with a Cunard booking through that TA, while retaining the cruise line perks such as onboard credit and reduced deposits.

The TA is no frills, but since I'm comfortable booking my own non-cruise travel I don't need to be provided a complete package from one source.

We live in a small town and use a local Travel Agent.

She gives us good service. She helps us with research and recommendations for hotels, transportation, attractions etc. and co-ordinating our travel plans. She gets us discount coupons for airport parking.

She tries to find the Upgrade Fairy.

She prints out our documents and luggage tags and presents everything in a folder.

She also gives us an on-board gift - usually a bottle of wine or dinner in a specialty restaurant.

She looks after us.

I use a TA that knows the cruise industry inside & out and has been on many ships, especially Princess. I listen to her opinions and advice and make decisions based on her very intelligent input. She scored us a very inexpensive upsell from inside to balcony cabin on our last cruise (NYC to Canada in Oct) and always sends a beautiful flower arrangement. Just booked a Panama Canal partial transit for April 2018 with her, with $1 deposit.

We simply shop around, among several of our favorite high volume online cruise agencies, for the best overall deal. When we identify a cruise that we want to book (we cruise 70 - 100 days a year) we simply check our 3 or 4 favored agencies. Once we identify who has a good deal we will usually give them a call and see if they will further sweeten the deal. Since we tend to book long (over a month) expensive cruises we will often save thousands of dollars per booking. On shorter less expensive cruises one can generally save 7-10% over the best deal you will get by booking directly with a cruise line. We have built a relationship with a few cruise agents (that work for these high volume agencies) who are often great resources of new info. Since we cruise on many different lines, using an agency also makes it easy to do some comparisons between different lines that might be competing (in our minds) for a similar itinerary.

We have talked to reps of two large cruise lines (upon which we have cruised many times) and asked them why they will not match the offers we can get from our cruise agencies. The answer is always the same....that they want to encourage these agencies to market their line....and they do not want to undercut the agencies. It is almost amusing when a cruise line will call us directly to seek our business and then admit they do not have the best deals. They will often say, "book we me and then I can transfer your booking to your favorite cruise agency." But the problem with that is one loses leverage with the agency...once you already have a booking. The time to negotiate the best terms are before you book....not after. Once booked, folks should also monitor current pricing for their cruise...because a major drop or better promotion might become available...as long as you know about it...and contact your agency.

Hank

I use a TA that I actually met on a cruise! I usually scout out what itinerary I'm interested in and when I want to cruise. She takes over and within a very short time she E-mails all the information, cabin price lines, pro/cons if any with regards to the ship, price, itinerary. Yes, I could do this all myself but she makes it very easy for me. Most important to me, if I have a question or concern I get an answer within a day from my TA. She is ALWAYS available via E-mail or phone.

She also handles the unexpected. Last December, with a January cruise planned and paid for, my traveling partner died from exposure to agent orange. My TA immediately took over, sent me all the insurance paperwork that needed to be filled out and emotionally supported me through the whole refund process.

She also adds OBC or sends a gift to the cabin but the most important thing to me is her expertise and immediate response to my questions. :)