Another HAL and internet post

farawaygal

I am posting from 30000 ft. on an Air Canada flight and the internet speed is almost like sitting at my desk at work...fast. Why can't HAL figure it out? We just got off a cruise and same old slowww internet.

It would be a mistake to assume that a cruise line, that sells leisure travel, "cannot figure out" how to provide the same service as an airline, that sells a lot of tickets to business travelers. Managing any business means investing available resources where they are likely to be most profitable. I know that when I'm cruising I'm far more interested in the beds and the food and the shows than I am in connecting to the internet.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Basically it's the cost of supplying the high speed internet .

One cannot argue with that statement. However, they should still make it available and let us, the passenger, determine whether or not we consider it expensive. That decision will be different for every person on board. To some, the cost will not matter.

Edited by taxmantoo

I am posting from 30000 ft. on an Air Canada flight and the internet speed is almost like sitting at my desk at work...fast. Why can't HAL figure it out? We just got off a cruise and same old slowww internet.

It was awful on the Reflection this month too! They make you pay way too much for way too little and too slow...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One cannot argue with that statement. However, they should still make it available and let us, the passenger determine whether or not we consider it expensive.
I think they should offer smoked salmon on the buffet at breakfast for a surcharge. Let the passenger determine. I could list a dozen other such desires. No supplier of anything should necessarily offer everything everyone may want, even in the context of the customer paying for it. There are always a limited amount of resources, including, most critically, the capacity of the management and staff to juggle one more ball. When designing a service specification, a critically important criterion is whether something is the best available user of the provider's available bandwidth.

How often should a cruise line replace their onboard IT infrastructure? Answer: Less often than airlines. Especially since the technology available is not as far advanced.

Speed also has to do with bandwidth usage. 200 people on a plane maybe 100 will be using wifi. 2000 people on a ship, maybe 1000 will be using wifi. As someone said, type of internet provided is an issue - satellite vs ground.

And, type of activity as a role - checking email, looking at the 'net, low bandwidth usage, streaming Netflix, online gaming, sucks bandwidth.

My usual hotel example: low occupancy time has "great" internet access and speed. During Christmas when the hotel is fully occupied and every child there has their tablet and are streaming video constantly, the speed declines.

Speed also has to do with bandwidth usage. 200 people on a plane maybe 100 will be using wifi. 2000 people on a ship, maybe 1000 will be using wifi. As someone said, type of internet provided is an issue - satellite vs ground.

And, type of activity as a role - checking email, looking at the 'net, low bandwidth usage, streaming Netflix, online gaming, sucks bandwidth.

My usual hotel example: low occupancy time has "great" internet access and speed. During Christmas when the hotel is fully occupied and every child there has their tablet and are streaming video constantly, the speed declines.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Thanks for saving me all that typing! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ship internet is satellite based , as result internet would be slow or none existant in some parts of the world. Aircraft internet is a ground based system that use signals from the ground not from space.

Aircraft internet access is via high-speed Ka/Ku band satellite network.

I can manage without internet for a week, especially since I am of a generation that managed without the internet somehow for years but if HAL is hoping to attract younger passengers they must be aware that that age group is used to be well connected at all times.

if HAL is hoping to attract younger passengers they must be aware that that age group is used to be well connected at all times.
The generation that literally cannot accept a week or so with slow internet is not yet the primary target market segment. By the same token, once they are, we can be sure things will be different.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

The generation that literally cannot accept a week or so with slow internet is not yet the primary target market segment. By the same token, once they are, we can be sure things will be different.

I am from the so called "primary target market segment", yet I also want fast internet connectivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am from the so called "primary target market segment", yet I also want fast internet connectivity.

I'm with you. I can live without internet for a week or two or three but if they are going to offer it, make it effective and efficient. There is nothing worst than sitting there and watching your $$$ spin and spin and spin. I don't care for any of their excuses. This is the 21st century; if they wanted to make it work, they could.

On Liberty of the Seas last November, their passenger internet was down until day 5.

However, our concierge told us that crew internet was still up (on a separate system) for official business.

On Rotterdam last summer, the internet was so slow, I couldn't even research our future cruises.

I'm with you. I can live without internet for a week or two or three but if they are going to offer it, make it effective and efficient. There is nothing worst than sitting there and watching your $$$ spin and spin and spin. I don't care for any of their excuses. This is the 21st century; if they wanted to make it work, they could.

How much extra in the cost of your cruise would be willing to pay to cover the installation of new hardware, the new subscription for the ship to pay for the new high speed 'net? It has to get passed on to the guests, most likely in increased cruise rates.

If you are buying satellite Internet on your own, for your own boat, it's very expensive. A 2GB monthly plan runs close to $1,000 and that does not include the equipment.

http://www.globalmarinenet.com/satellite-internet-at-sea-hardware-airtime-and-pricing/

As someone mentioned, your airplane Internet is terrestrial which is a whole different animal from satellite.

I wonder if anyone is posting on an airline board asking why they can't put a decent buffet together?

If you are buying satellite Internet on your own, for your own boat, it's very expensive. A 2GB monthly plan runs close to $1,000 and that does not include the equipment.

http://www.globalmarinenet.com/satellite-internet-at-sea-hardware-airtime-and-pricing/

As someone mentioned, your airplane Internet is terrestrial which is a whole different animal from satellite.

I wonder if anyone is posting on an airline board asking why they can't put a decent buffet together?

Apparently, you haven't visited FlyerTalk Delta forum and found the threads about the decline in the quality of the Comfort + and Delta One snack baskets and the lack of enough Woodford to last an entire flight ;)

On a ships tour that question was asked. Cost of the new equipment about $1 million a ship. It looks expensive but the monthly charges add up quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And before anyone says that its investment for the future recognize that when the current system was installed in the ship it was also an investment for the future. Today is the future that the current system installed in the ships was intended to serve.