Had a great time, but ruined by theft!

Kflatley

On Tuesday, May 23rd (2nd day of cruise) my husband and I woke up to the couple across the hall fighting loudly. That night we had to call security on couple 2 doors down for domestic disturbance, loud fighting that became physical. Heard arguing on and off all week.

Friday (May 26th) we took time out to pack early so that we would have our day free. We had bought gifts and souvenirs for our family and I packed those in my checked luggage. As on all our other cruises we left our bags outside our room at 8pm as we were headed to dinner. My husband came back down to the room around 10:30ish and noticed that the couple (who we had to call security on) was acting odd... the guy was roaming the hall as the girl stood half inside/outside their room but thought nothing of it. On Saturday morning as we were getting out of our room we were told by other passengers that the guy my husband had seen the night before had been arrested by police that morning on board as he was on probation and had left the country on that cruise. We collected our bags and started our 4.5 hour drive. Once we reached our destination we wanted to give out the souvenirs. We opened my bag... all souvenirs, handbags, tshirts and even the clutches I brought with me on the cruise were all missing. We called and alerted carnival offices of the missing handbags. We are pretty sure we know who stole them and are waiting for Carnival offices to open tomorrow to report the additional items missing and will ask them to check the security footage. Over $200 worth of merchandise stolen right out of our bags. Nothing I hate more than a thief! That ruined the whole memory of the cruise for me and I've been sick to my stomach about it since. :mad:

No we didn't as we have been told that they go through a prescreening after being taken off the boat...

Would have been great to know we could lock them!

In 14 cruises we've always put TSA locks on the sections of our luggage that contains anything of more value than worn undies when we put them out the last night :D:D

I don't use the locks when checking the luggage in on embarkation day.

In 14 cruises we've always put TSA locks on the sections of our luggage that contains anything of more value than worn undies when we put them out the last night :D:D

We will surely be locking from now on! Wish I had known this before this cruise!

No we didn't as we have been told that they go through a prescreening after being taken off the boat...

Would have been great to know we could lock them!

We use zip ties. That way they are easy for authorities to cut off if needed and we always know if someone has been in our bags. I don't put mine out until the last minute for this reason.

We use zip ties. That way they are easy for authorities to cut off if needed and we always know if someone has been in our bags. I don't put mine out until the last minute for this reason.

What would that tell you if zip ties were removed? You wouldn't know if it was by security or not. A false sense of security as anyone can easily remove them.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear of the theft .Lots of scumbags in the world. That's the reason we self debark and lug our own stuff.I don't carry many valuables but that has always seemed different to me, trusting others to keep their hands off of other people's things.Its like going to a hotel and leaving your bags out in the hallway for 3 hours waiting for the bellman

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Forums mobile app

Oh man. Sorry to hear of the theft. Hopefully Carnival finds a resolution for you. If not, try to focus on the highlights of the cruise. At least it wasn't your actual home that was broken into. I'm sure that doesn't give you any peace of mind at the moment though.

We have never locked our bags, 26 cruises, never had anything stolen.

Pat

I guess you've been lucky not to have felons staying 2 doors down from you! I just wish people could be good, honest, law abiding citizens. Too bad we don't live in a world like that.

What would that tell you if zip ties were removed? You wouldn't know if it was by security or not. A false sense of security as anyone can easily remove them.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

even those TSA safe locks is a false sense of security. its very easy to lockpick those TSA locks using a simple tool like a pen

We do the same. No locks on embarkation, but definitely put locks on the luggage while putting them out in the hall. We don't use the flimsy TSA locks either. We use some older brass locks that are much sturdier. If they need us to open the bags at Customs we will gladly do so, but it should be sufficient to keep the low life across the hall out of them.

I guess you've been lucky not to have felons staying 2 doors down from you! I just wish people could be good, honest, law abiding citizens. Too bad we don't live in a world like that.

felons? petty theft is not a felony,

most people are good, honest, law abiding citizens

OP, I'm so sorry this happened to you.

A thief is going to steal from the easiest and fastest thing he (or she) can most of the time. Of course there are exceptions. Getting into a piece of unlocked luggage is a whole lot faster than trying to cut off zip ties or try to pick a lock.

Cruisers are up and down those hallways all the time. In fact, somebody just unzipping a piece of luggage, probably wouldn't need even draw a second look. Most likely those passing would think they were just doing something in their own luggage. But somebody doing something weird to a lock, might get a second glance and a call to security.

I have always locked my bags getting on the ship and getting off. They come off at the airport and I put zip ties on them. There's not really anything of value, but there might be some souvenirs and I like my clothes. And it also prevents somebody from putting something IN my suitcase.

Edited by crzndeb