could Cuba cruises be cancelled

YoHoHo

From: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/16/trump-to-announce-new-restrictions-on-cuba-trade-and-travel

"Flights and sea links were reopened and travel increased to an estimated 400,000 Americans expected to visit the island this year. Administration officials said that those who had already booked trips before the new policy takes effect would be able to go ahead with their plans, but future travel would be policed more rigorously to ensure it fitted one of twelve authorised categories as part of the Obama rules laid down in 2015.

Those categories allowed Americans to travel to Cuba for educational, professional, humanitarian, sporting, artistic or trade purposes, but not for general tourism, but Trump administration officials said the policy was not carefully monitored and was abused to allow tourism.

It remains unclear how Americans still allowed to visit Cuba would be prevented from spending money that profited the security forces. The Armed Forces Business Enterprises Group (GAESA) is a sprawling conglomerate with tentacles in many sectors of the economy, including tourism and trade. For example it controls the main container port at Mariel, which has signed partnership deals with US Gulf Coast ports and the Port of Virginia."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This looks like good news for those of us who are already booked for a Cuban visit. But they better let us know what documents to keep in case they decide to "audit" us! :o

WHile the ships can continue to bring passengers there, not so sure about the passengers doing any private touring while in Cuba. May be restricted to Group ship's excursions. A little unclear at the moment.

It seems as if the initial responses from the cruise lines are stressing their "OFAC compliant" shore excursions. I'm a bit worried that we may not be able to tour privately which, for my group, is a deal breaker.

Here's NCLH's press release:

"Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. Response to Trump Administration announcement about Cuba

June 16, 2017

Based on the information shared today, we are very pleased to learn the news that cruises to Cuba will continue under the new guidelines laid out by the Administration. All of our cruises to, and shore excursions in, Cuba are in full compliance with regulations set forth by the US Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC"), and we will work with the Administration to comply with any changes to those and any other regulations that will result from its decision. We are also pleased that education travel and travel that supports the Cuban people will continue.

We were very concerned about any potential changes, given how popular Cuba itineraries have proven to be with our guests, and we view this as a win for the cruise industry, our valued guests and travel partners. Across our three brands, there are 70,000 guests booked to sail to Cuba who would have been very disappointed if they were unable to experience this spectacular destination. We are delighted our guests will continue to have the opportunity to experience the wonderful culture and incredible history of Cuba along with the warmth and friendliness of the Cuban people through OFAC-compliant shore excursions that support private businesses and the Cuban people, an opportunity that was restricted for over fifty years."

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Almagetty for posting the Norwegian statement which is good news for us since we always book ship-sponsored cruises. Hopefully they'll have clear procedures in place regarding the "trip ledger" requirement US Customs is supposedly going to be enforcing when we return to the US. Not quite sure what that is all about, but I'm sure by the time we go on our Cuban cruise next May, they'll have it all figured out.

Thanks Almagetty for posting the Norwegian statement which is good news for us since we always book ship-sponsored cruises. Hopefully they'll have clear procedures in place regarding the "trip ledger" requirement US Customs is supposedly going to be enforcing when we return to the US. Not quite sure what that is all about, but I'm sure by the time we go on our Cuban cruise next May, they'll have it all figured out.

I hope so, Ken. We are also traveling next May and are anxiously waiting to see how this all shakes out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

According to a conversation I just had with someone at Oceania, they are still going to Cuba, they have no problem with this qualifying for "people to people" even if you don't go on organized tour and just tour yourself or self arrange private touring or walk around yourself. not sure I trust that response, it was a little too glib, but that is what they are saying for public consumption.

According to a conversation I just had with someone at Oceania, they are still going to Cuba, they have no problem with this qualifying for "people to people" even if you don't go on organized tour and just tour yourself or self arrange private touring or walk around yourself. not sure I trust that response, it was a little too glib, but that is what they are saying for public consumption.

I think you're right to be skeptical about the private tour answer. How many times do Oceania employees get the answer questions wrong?

For a fascinating nuanced discussion about the touring implications of Trumps Cuba policy, go to the front page article in the Washington Post with the words "good" and "bad" in the title.

For a fascinating nuanced discussion about the touring implications of Trumps Cuba policy, go to the front page article in the Washington Post with the words "good" and "bad" in the title.

As soon as I hear the words "NY Times" or "Washington Post" I can bet ( 99 & 44/100th% sure) it won't be a positive story about the President before even reading the headline. But once you said front page...fugget about it.

As soon as I hear the words "NY Times" or "Washington Post" I can bet (be 99 & 44/100th% sure) it won't be a positive story about the President before even reading the headline. But once you said front page...fugget about it.

In your opinion, which newspaper/news source gives a fair account of the news?

Enquiring minds want to know :D

In your opinion, which newspaper/news source gives a fair account of the news?

Enquiring minds want to know :D

The "Wall Street Journal" does a better job at getting closer to the truth but not always. I believe an article when it includes balanced sides of the story. Too many stories are written one sided with an agenda. So no I don't believe the extreme conservative story writers either. IMO the best stories are right down the middle without taking a position or using explosive adjectives. Like that would ever happen nowadays.

Not that it matters, but back in the 70's and early 80's I was a broadcast journalist. I got out when I didn't like the direction the industry was taking.

As soon as I hear the words "NY Times" or "Washington Post" I can bet ( 99 & 44/100th% sure) it won't be a positive story about the President before even reading the headline. But once you said front page...fugget about it.

No nuance to your reply.

The "Wall Street Journal" does a better job at getting closer to the truth but not always. I believe an article when it includes balanced sides of the story. Too many stories are written one sided with an agenda. So no I don't believe the extreme conservative story writers either. IMO the best stories are right down the middle without taking a position or using explosive adjectives. Like that would ever happen nowadays.

Not that it matters, but back in the 70's and early 80's I was a broadcast journalist. I got out when I didn't like the direction the industry was taking.

Good to hear your opinion. I would have to agree with you. :):)

Here is the latest poll of the most "trusted" news sources:

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-and-least-trusted-news-outlets-in-america-2017-3

As a Canadian, I am appalled by most of the American news outlets. What is even more appalling is that most Americans choose to only use one source for their "news". Watch at least a couple of different sources and then try and make an intelligent decision.

Anyway, Please enjoy Cuba. The people are the greatest aspect of the country!

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-and-least-trusted-news-outlets-in-america-2017-3

As a Canadian, I am appalled by most of the American news outlets. What is even more appalling is that most Americans choose to only use one source for their "news". Watch at least a couple of different sources and then try and make an intelligent decision.

Thankx for the link. I thought it was interesting that the Wall Street Journal was the only most trusted across all five ideological groups.

I'm looking forward to our Cuba POC next year. I have no doubt it will not be changed.

I'm not sure that the phenomenon you describe is uniquely American. Confirmation bias is a pretty universal human thing and people will choose to believe that the news source that fits their preconceived biases are the most accurate and honest. We've seen that here in this thread where a couple of posters have singled out a particular news source as being the best.

I lean left and, as a New Yorker, do read the New York Times. I also subscribe to (and read) the WSJ every day. There is no doubt that reading a spectrum forces one to challenge their biases and even (gasp!!) revise one's opinions.

My own views on a number of issues have moderated and on some, I surprise my friends when I support more conservative viewpoints at times.

We are lucky that we have options in the US and Canada!

Their coverage of the Cuba story have been pretty much similar.

Edited by MarkieMarkNYC

I am going to admit it to all: I watch Fox News and love Trump's tweets....I may have a lake home in NY and ski home in Aspen...but born and raised in a flyover state.

There are more Conservatives in CO and NY (state) than the MSM will let you know. We just stay quiet about it. Not today :)

I am going to admit it to all: I watch Fox News and love Trump's tweets....I may have a lake home in NY and ski home in Aspen...but born and raised in a flyover state.

There are more Conservatives in CO and NY (state) than the MSM will let you know. We just stay quiet about it. Not today :)

I think we all need to have an open mind about the issues in this country. I watch Fox News, or used to until they made all those changes. Now that Bill is not there and the Five has changed time slots I do not watch very much. Don't like Trump Tweets. Do not think a president should be doing that. But that is OK You like it and I don't. Can still stay friends and discuss it as adults.

I think we all need to have an open mind about the issues in this country. I watch Fox News, or used to until they made all those changes. Now that Bill is not there and the Five has changed time slots I do not watch very much. Don't like Trump Tweets. Do not think a president should be doing that. But that is OK You like it and I don't. Can still stay friends and discuss it as adults.

Ditto on Bill leaving. I am more disenchanted every day with Fox changes. Problem is that CNN used to be respected and now is nothing but a tabloid. WSJ online works for me too.

Ditto on Bill leaving. I am more disenchanted every day with Fox changes. Problem is that CNN used to be respected and now is nothing but a tabloid. WSJ online works for me too.

WSJ is pretty good. So is C Span and try Daily Mail Online. A lot of good articles there.

thanks Boca...I lived in Jupiter for many years and my family is still there.

Not bad, I was born and grew up in Brooklyn. Started up as a Liberal since everyone at that time was. As I got older it seemed there was another way. Learned to think for myself. Need to discuss what really is good for all of us. Nothing is a one way street. Trump sometimes, someone else maybe ?? Lets cruise. Good times and good health always.

Don't worry about the loss of Bill O'Reilly.

Perhaps Bill Cosby will be offered his slot.