could Cuba cruises be cancelled

YoHoHo

I would be concerned about what could happen after final payment since a change of itinerary won't get you a refund and these cruises could eliminate all Cuba ports at any time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So cancel now, and then you can re book if there is no change. Good luck

Unclear what parts of the new policy will remain.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/30/politics/trump-cuba-policy/ and others

Havana, Cuba (CNN)President Donald Trump is expected to roll back portions of the Obama opening with Cuba as early as June, according to a US government official involved in the review of current US policy toward the communist-run island.

That official, as well as other current and former administration officials and Cuba experts, expect an announcement from Trump soon that the United States would no longer make unilateral concessions to Cuba -- as critics accused the Obama administration of doing.

<snip>

And they believe the President will bar American companies from making deals with the Cuban military, which controls much of the state-run tourism industry.

Trump is not expected to reverse all of Obama's changes, which were seen as the most significant relaxation of tensions between the United States and Cuba since Fidel Castro's 1959 revolution.

If I were the POTUS I would demand that Cuba return all the Americans wanted for capital charges who are living a life of luxury in Cuba .

I would be concerned about what could happen after final payment since a change of itinerary won't get you a refund and these cruises could eliminate all Cuba ports at any time

The next O cruise to Cuba is November 24 and final is not until September 3,..I would think we would all know by then..

Jancruz1

So cancel now, and then you can re book if there is no change. Good luck

Every O cruise to Cuba through 2017 is sold out..if you cancel and they go, you will not be going because of the long wait lists..

Jancruz1

If I were the POTUS I would demand that Cuba return all the Americans wanted for capital charges who are living a life of luxury in Cuba .

Luxury is not a adjective generally associated with Cuba.

The next O cruise to Cuba is November 24 and final is not until September 3,..I would think we would all know by then..

Jancruz1

Unless the political landscape changes between final payment and the cruise !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

More specific news today: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/15/trump-cuba-policy-239596 The article talks about the impact to hotels and airlines but doesn't mention cruise lines.

Because there has been so much news about what President Trump did and didn't do that turned out to be downright false, I think I'll wait until I hear him say what he plans to do before worrying about my Cuba visit.

However if the article is true about him banning tourist travel to Cuba, that would obviously include cruise lines. The article's author is probably just not a cruiser. :)

Because there has been so much news about what President Trump did and didn't do that turned out to be downright false, I think I'll wait until I hear him say what he plans to do before worrying about my Cuba visit.

However if the article is true about him banning tourist travel to Cuba, that would obviously include cruise lines. The article's author is probably just not a cruiser. :)

Lets just wait and see what he says and then we can have a discussion about it. I hope.

In my opinion, just paying to dock in Cuba would benefit the government. I wouldn't say you could tender either as they have to pay the government to let people off the tenders. This is only my opinion. Also, any group tours where they use a government bus or agency would not be allowed.

In my opinion, just paying to dock in Cuba would benefit the government. I wouldn't say you could tender either as they have to pay the government to let people off the tenders. This is only my opinion. Also, any group tours where they use a government bus or agency would not be allowed.

I agree

Maybe the US government did not think the whole thing through

:D

It will be interesting to see how it plays out

I read that Cigars and Rum purchases most likely will not be allowed. Someone also wrote that it would take 90 days until the laws / rules will be legitimate....so my cruise is safe (August) :) Feel badly for the others that will be cruising in October, for instance...the Cubans that own businesses will prosper..but our gov't. does not want the Cuban government businesses to prosper. It makes sense to me.

The Miami Herald has obtained an advance copy of tomorrow's statement.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article156337129.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for posting the link. Still not enough info to understand all of the implications for those of us booked on cruises but looks like we might be able to salvage our trips.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

This is from Yahoo News: "....And the new financial restrictions envision carve-outs that will largely spare existing business dealings, including those in agriculture, telecommunications, airlines and cruise lines, and potentially hotels. Cuban-Americans will still be able to send money to relatives. And Americans returning from authorized travel to Cuba will still be able to bring back $100 in rum and cigars.

Three Trump aides described the new policy to reporters in the briefing room of the White House in a question-and-answer session held on condition that they not be named.

The most significant shift appears to be a return to tougher enforcement of travel restrictions for individuals and groups. While tourism has been illegal under a decades-old U.S. embargo imposed after the 1959 revolution that swept Fidel Castro to power, the Obama administration largely looked the other way, permitting individuals and groups to visit the island if they fell into one of 12 categories. Enforcement was largely on an honor system.

The Trump administration will end “people-to-people” visits for individuals who claim to be visiting the island to engage Cubans or for “educational activities.” Groups will still be able to go, but will be subject to far greater scrutiny to ensure that they fulfilled the requirements for authorized travel, the aides told reporters. The overall effect will likely be to “chill” American travel, one aide told Yahoo News."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-will-stop-short-scrapping-obamas-cuba-policies-010052494.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it looks like we can go (as long as the passengers on the ship are considered a group), but will have to keep track of our "evidence" that we lived up to the People-to-People intentions. Not sure what that evidence needs to be - hope the government will make it clear.

Here's part of that Miami Herald article.

"Under Trump’s rules, travelers will be subject to a Treasury Department audit of their trip to ensure they fall under one of the permitted categories. Educational trips and so-called “people-to-people” group exchanges will fall under greater scrutiny, with educational groups once again having to travel with a guide from a U.S. organization sponsoring the trip, a requirement the Obama policy had effectively eliminated. Unlike under Obama, individuals will no longer be able to travel under the “people-to-people” category.

Commercial flights and cruise trips to Cuba will be allowed to continue, because paying landing fees at military-run airports and seaports will be exempt from the Trump ban.

The challenge for Trump’s administration will be enforcing the ban for travelers who might unknowingly violate it."

I read that Cigars and Rum purchases most likely will not be allowed. Someone also wrote that it would take 90 days until the laws / rules will be legitimate....so my cruise is safe (August) :) Feel badly for the others that will be cruising in October, for instance...the Cubans that own businesses will prosper..but our gov't. does not want the Cuban government businesses to prosper. It makes sense to me.

Go and see Cuba by flying to any Canadian city and then taking a direct flight to Cuba. Lots of Cuban rum and cigars in Canada. We live in a "democratic" form of government country where our government has NO legal right to tell us where we can travel.

NO political statement here,

The USA is a "republic" form of government country which is different.

Happy Cruising

According to the Miami Herald this morning, it looks like independent traveling will not be allowed for Americans.

Seems that only organized tours will be allowed and documentation of everything we do will be required-- to be kept by us for 5 years.

This could all be changed again.

The Wall Street Journal is also confirming that the cruise lines will be able to continue with their sailings.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-to-issue-directive-narrowing-obamas-cuba-opening-1497574800?mod=e2fb

The article also states that there will be no restrictions on bringing back rum and cigars. Not my biggest concern, but I know it's important to others.

Looks like our May 2018 cruise will go on as planned. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums