question about customs/global entry in ft lauderdale

creel5857

We have just obtained our global entry cards. Could you remind me again at what points we use the global entry once we are off ship.....AND.....did I understand some to say it was hard to see or find the global entry signs?? any help appreciated....thanks

We have just obtained our global entry cards. Could you remind me again at what points we use the global entry once we are off ship.....AND.....did I understand some to say it was hard to see or find the global entry signs?? any help appreciated....thanks

The signs are pretty big - at least I thought so. When you are getting ready to enter the line, just ask the person there where you should go. When we went through, the woman had to open the rope for the Global Entry / Mobile Passport line.

I used it in December but I'm not sure if it's terminal-specific. After you get your luggage you proceed to Customs but there is a very small sign about chest-height with the Global Entry logo. Followed that and walked straight up to the kiosk. Had about a 10 second conversation with the officer and I was out the door. My travelling companion, on the other hand, reappeared about an hour later after standing in the regular line.

We used it in December also, we usually get a porter to handle our bags and tell him we have GE, he takes us right to the Customs Agent, keep your cards ready to show if needed prior to arriving the agent. It was very slick and fast. I think all terminals at Port Everglades has GE. Cruise lines are also pushing Mobile Pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sign is noticeable if you know what the logo looks like. I did not but when i asked the person pointed 1ft away and "advised" me I was about to run into the sign. Went quickly after that.

On a side note the Vancouver port has a Global Entry line BUT you need to have your GOES card in order to access. We had ours so no problem. We were told this was one of the very few that require to see your card.

The sign is noticeable if you know what the logo looks like. I did not but when i asked the person pointed 1ft away and "advised" me I was about to run into the sign. Went quickly after that.

On a side note the Vancouver port has a Global Entry line BUT you need to have your GOES card in order to access. We had ours so no problem. We were told this was one of the very few that require to see your card.

The documentation makes it pretty clear that you don't need the Global Entry card and that your passport should suffice. However, the officer in Fort Lauderdale recommended keeping the card with your passport because there's always a chance that you will be asked for it. That makes sense, because I can see people lying to get in the short line.

The cruise terminals do not yet have the fingerprint kiosks (as in airports), so you need the card to prove you have GE.

Mostly agree but when we returned to Seattle in our Repo cruise they had them at the Customs entry but did not use them. I might add they did not have a GE station but had the fingerprint scan?

The Global Entry documentation says that you don't need their ID cards to get through, just your passports, faces (photo match), and fingers (fingerprint match). BUT On our first trip after signing up, and leaving the cards home, we got to the Ft Lauderdale immigration area and an officious (port employee, not immigration officer) line minder would not let us go through to the Global Entry desk because we didn't have the cards. So take your cards along and have them out. On our next trip, flying into San Francisco, we whisked past a packed, multi doubled-back line, stuck our passports and hands into the scanners, and were out in minutes.

Good Morning,

We've found that airports (domestic & foreign) and ports of entry all have their own 'thing' regarding using the GOES program. Some airports have the hand scanner kiosk, others not. Signage can be a 'crap shot' worldwide in airports and ports so this isn't really a specific answer for your FLA cruise terminal(s) question.

We always keep our GOES card, international vaccination certificate, a copy of my wife's handicap medical letter (for airport check-in and early seating), my artificial knee card (doesn't work more often than not at the airport: still need to be scanned) and international drivers license (if we plan on doing some land touring prior to or after a cruise), proof of any electronic visas (Australia comes to mind) clipped together with a small binder clip and kept in back of our passport and readily removable for just passport scanning / agent examination.

A larger binder clip (or low tech rubber band) keeps the 'extra packet 'of the additional information (e.g. GOES card, etc.) from falling out or otherwise getting misplaced from the passport during check-ins or arrivals. IF the agent asks for the GOES card we have it pretty much in hand and have no need to dig around a purse, laptop bag, etc.

Once aboard the ship I just put the additional 'packet' in my zippered document case (one of those bank deposit zippered cases) that also contains copies of our passports, GOES & vaccination certificates, prescriptions, tickets / emails for independent tours, hard copies of cruise ship purchases & OBC's, scuba cards, credit card emergency numbers and other such things in the cabin's safe.

Thus far the TSA pre-check and entry advantages of the GOES program at airports & ports has been more than worth it.

Have a great cruise!

Be well.

Bob:)

I've seen people claim to have Global Entry or Mobile Passport so that they could get into the faster line at Port Everglades. When asked for proof, they mumbled something and stayed in the regular line. Since the lines empty out at the same place, line jumping would give a person a significant advantage. The solution they implemented was to require you to show either your Global Entry card or your phone screen with the mobile passport QR code.

I've seen people claim to have Global Entry or Mobile Passport so that they could get into the faster line at Port Everglades. When asked for proof, they mumbled something and stayed in the regular line. Since the lines empty out at the same place, line jumping would give a person a significant advantage. The solution they implemented was to require you to show either your Global Entry card or your phone screen with the mobile passport QR code.

The person at the Mobile passport line at Port Everglades was checking carefully when we were there in Feb. I had my phone out, and she wanted to see both "receipts." (both were on my phone)

I wish more cruise ports would get the mobile passport.

The last three times thru Ft Lauderdale we experienced three difference cases: 1st time - we had to show our GOES cards to go in that line; if I couldnt find them, we would go to end of regular line - fortunately, I fished them out and presented and we were out of there quickly; 2d time - they didnt have the GOES line operating - had to use our passports; 3d time which was coming back from Grand Med last month we went in GOES line as we had the cards out, but the agent wanted our passports ...

nothing to it, but at least they are trying ...

harry

The person at the Mobile passport line at Port Everglades was checking carefully when we were there in Feb. I had my phone out, and she wanted to see both "receipts." (both were on my phone)

I wish more cruise ports would get the mobile passport.

Yes. Particularly Miami. And especially by October.

I should add that if you are using a porter, they'll almost always be able to direct you to the quick lines for Global Entry or Mobile Passport. It gets them back to pick up another passenger much faster, so there's a distinct financial incentive.

I should add that if you are using a porter, they'll almost always be able to direct you to the quick lines for Global Entry or Mobile Passport. It gets them back to pick up another passenger much faster, so there's a distinct financial incentive.

It's like that in Brooklyn, getting off QM2. Going straight to a CBP officer is worth the tip!

thanks for all the helpful replies.....just some clarification

1. so do I understand that we do as follows: disembark ship, gather luggage, look for global entry to get through cruise port quicker, exit port area and get taxi to airport, drop off luggage with porters outside, check in at desk and then head toward security looking for global entry signs or TSA signs and then head to gate?? did I miss something......

2. did I understand that you can get to global entry at the cruise port quicker by using porters or was it at airport by using porters....and how much is customary tip for this service

thanks so very much

1. so do I understand that we do as follows: disembark ship, gather luggage, look for global entry to get through cruise port quicker, exit port area and get taxi to airport, drop off luggage with porters outside, check in at desk and then head toward security looking for global entry signs or TSA signs and then head to gate?? did I miss something......

When you disembark, if you wish, grab a porter to help with your luggage. He knows the GE line and will get you to it fast. Once your thru he'll take your bags to the taxi stand, that's where you tip him. Take your cab to your departure airline and checkin curbside. Then go thru TSA line, if you have Pre-check use that line, go to gate and you're all set!

2. did I understand that you can get to global entry at the cruise port quicker by using porters or was it at airport by using porters....and how much is customary tip for this service?

Answered above, we usually tip $5, to us it's worth the money and they appreciate it.

thanks so very much

See my comments above!

mllewis48 answered thoroughly, but I just wanted to provide clarification on the airport security checkpoint. Not all airlines participate in TSA pre-check. Enter your trusted traveller number into your airline profile and "TSA Pre" will appear on your boarding pass. When you show your pass to the security line attendant they will direct you to the TSA Pre line. If you do not have a frequent flyer account, show the check-in attendant your GE card and they will ensure you have TSA Pre.

2. did I understand that you can get to global entry at the cruise port quicker by using porters or was it at airport by using porters....and how much is customary tip for this service

thanks so very much

Disembark ship. Grab a porter while you gather your luggage. The porter will direct you Global Entry or Mobile Passport. The porter will also follow you out to the cab line and usually load your bags in the cab.

This is absolutely true - porters know what is going on this particular day, how to get thru quickly and they get you to your next mode of transportation. As to tip, it depends on a) how long you have them detained b) how many bags.c) what your budget can stand.

harry

thanks for all responses ......I know some of you travel routinely and have the details down pat but just traveling every couple of years we tend to forget the specifics......as always, thanks for any tips and comments

mllewis48 answered thoroughly, but I just wanted to provide clarification on the airport security checkpoint. Not all airlines participate in TSA pre-check. Enter your trusted traveller number into your airline profile and "TSA Pre" will appear on your boarding pass. When you show your pass to the security line attendant they will direct you to the TSA Pre line. If you do not have a frequent flyer account, show the check-in attendant your GE card and they will ensure you have TSA Pre.

big no on this. GE does not guarantee Pre-Check every time; it just gives you an excellent chance of getting it MOST of the time. TSA still reserves the right to not give access to the Pre-Check line so people from time to time have do to "untrusted traveler" scanning with everyone else. It has to do with TSA's super-secret multiple levels of changing security - you are not supposed to assume anything. You do have to enter your TT number to get entered into the Pre-Check "lottery". Having a FF account has nothing to do with it, either. On most airline websites, there is a place for you to enter your TT number. The "check-in attendant" entering your number does not guarantee Pre-Check, either.