Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

Yes, it is possible and your TA should know how to it.  If not, they can call Viking and ask how to do it. 

The discount works the same as if you booked directly with Viking: you give them your account information and they take the money out of you account.   

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, purpleally said:

If you don’t know what benefit, you have the wrong TA

I’m sure that’s true. We’ve tried two TAs and had two misses so far. I’m starting to feel like Charlie Brown and the football. At some point you have to know when to say “enough.” Fortunately booking a cruise vacation isn’t exactly complicated. 

45 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

I’m sure that’s true. We’ve tried two TAs and had two misses so far. I’m starting to feel like Charlie Brown and the football. At some point you have to know when to say “enough.” Fortunately booking a cruise vacation isn’t exactly complicated. 

Frustrating, and I sympathize with your experiences, but don't despair. Some time ago, @Heidi13posted his approach to finding his TA. It was structured, rigorous and required a significant investment of his time - but was worth it in the end.

I agreed with his approach - if you consider that the amount of money that many of us will commit to a TA for our cruises will easily approach a major home renovation, few of us would find it unreasonable that we should devote a fair amount of time to the selection of our "contractor". If you've already invested that time and still struck out, I regret your luck!

When asked, I describe our TA's value as being twofold. First, he executes the basic "blocking and tackling" (as in luggage tags and documents) flawlessly. This is table stakes - as you point out, basic administration is nothing that any of us can't do ourselves.

Secondly, his real value has been shown a number of times in his ability to negotiate a favourable outcome when we have had complex rescheduling problems, involving Covid-related cancellations, the dreaded vouchers, personal changes and unforeseen issues. Based on his persistence and client focus, he has been able to secure accommodations that have literally saved us tens of thousands in cases where we had no real leg to stand on with the cruise lines.

If I have to find a new TA tomorrow, I'd be asking candidates to provide specific examples of how they had done the same for their clients and following up with references. In our view, a strong TA is worth investing the time to find - best of luck! 🍺🥌

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Twitchly said:

While I don’t disagree with CurlerRob’s second point or his procedure if he had to find a new TA, I doubt I would have the patience to do so. I see our Travel Agent simply as a booking agent who gives us a reward (in our case the maximum onboard credit that Viking allows). I do not look to her to help us decide which cruise to take, etc. she has proved somewhat helpful in helping us with one issue but it required me saying we were just going to cancel the cruise and loose our deposit.  The other time I needed some assistance in dealing with Viking on an issue, she was unable to do so but I had good luck dealing directly with Viking via TellUs. 

So while I know I don’t have as helpful a TA as some, I’m satisfied that I’m getting what I pay for…and the referral checks they provide is a nice perk too!😂

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

So while I know I don’t have as helpful a TA as some, I’m satisfied that I’m getting what I pay for…and the referral checks they provide is a nice perk too!😂

Your satisfaction is absolutely what matters, Clay.

It appears to me that US pax have the benefit of a competitive TA environment that provides significant credits when booking - this shows up across multiple boards. We downtrodden northerners don't seem to have the same level of giveback - for example, I've never seen anyone suggest that they have a Canadian TA who offered enough credit to cover gratuities. There is usually something, but it's quite a bit lower, although I'd be happy to be educated otherwise!

Enjoy your July trip ... 🍺🥌.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I see our Travel Agent simply as a booking agent who gives us a reward (in our case the maximum onboard credit that Viking allows).

That was the main (only) benefit of our TA experience. Does anyone know if you can get a credit when dealing directly with a Viking?

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

That was the main (only) benefit of our TA experience. Does anyone know if you can get a credit when dealing directly with a Viking?

Our experience is no. When we got ready to book our second cruise I asked if they couldn't match the TA's credits and was told they could not.  On our third cruise which due to timing of the promo I had to book over the phone with Viking direct I asked the telephone agent if my moving to a TA later would affect his compensation and he said not a bit.So for us it was a no brainer-$1000 in onboard credits or $420 from our pocket for gratuities.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Our experience is no. When we got ready to book our second cruise I asked if they couldn't match the TA's credits and was told they could not.  On our third cruise which due to timing of the promo I had to book over the phone with Viking direct I asked the telephone agent if my moving to a TA later would affect his compensation and he said not a bit.So for us it was a no brainer-$1000 in onboard credits or $420 from our pocket for gratuities.  

V agents just want you to book.  Agree with Clay, agents are fine with pax transferring booking to one's TA.  On next V cruise, I booked direct, then transfered to TA.  Agent said not an issue for him.  Often V agents will spend lots of time answering questions to ensue you're happy.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 2

Why would a tote bag be expected? A reusable hot drink mug would be better, and a reusable water bottle. Small single use cups, straws and water bottles should not be needed. (except for straws for some medical conditions) 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Why would a tote bag be expected? A reusable hot drink mug would be better, and a reusable water bottle. Small single use cups, straws and water bottles should not be needed. (except for straws for some medical conditions) 

Not expected. But I have gotten them from another cruise line and handy for going ashore. No biggie. I’ll just bring my own.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 1:43 PM, Clay Clayton said:

So for us it was a no brainer-$1000 in onboard credits or $420 from our pocket for gratuities.  

Wow. Neither of our travel agents offered anything close to those numbers. 

8 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

A tote bag isn't practical for me, and I've never missed having one.

We use them for groceries. (Maybe that’s one reason Viking doesn’t offer them. I’m guessing Kroger’s isn’t quite the association they’re looking for.)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Twitchly said:

We use them for groceries. (Maybe that’s one reason Viking doesn’t offer them. I’m guessing Kroger’s isn’t quite the association they’re looking for.)

I have bags at home from Celebrity and Crystal. They’re not brand new any more b/c we use them so much at home. I should’ve saved one in pristine condition, and will do that for my next Viking, if Crystal gives them. 

I like them for carrying things off the ship but also around the ship … breakfast to chaise lounge to enrichment talk to lunch … 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Clay, is the number you quoted above per person or total? How many days was the cruise?

It was $500pp for a 16 night (not day) cruise.  And I just realized I calculated the gratuities incorrectly, I should have said $480 out of our pocket. 

Many TA's (besides Clay's) offer the $150pp/$300pp/$500pp depending upon the length of the cruise.

In fact, my TA offers this and a separate OBC.  On my last 14 day Viking Ocean cruise last month I received a total of $900.  $600 refundable and $300 non refundable.

1 hour ago, MikeyB said:

Many TA's (besides Clay's) offer the $150pp/$300pp/$500pp depending upon the length of the cruise.

In fact, my TA offers this and a separate OBC.  On my last 14 day Viking Ocean cruise last month I received a total of $900.  $600 refundable and $300 non refundable.

1 hour ago, MikeyB said:

1 hour ago, MikeyB said:

Mikey - Can you give me your TA's name & phone number?  Thanks! Carol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Interesting, MikeyB.

I didn't know that Viking allowed TA's to give more than the $150pp/$300pp/$500pp  OnBoardCredits.  Was this "under the table" so to speak (the $300 non refundable extras)?  a "gift"?   Had not heard of that before.