How often do ships miss Curacao?

mcgore83

Traveling on the Vista to the Southern Carribean in December, yeah! Just wondering how often ships miss this port? I have been following these boards and recently saw that this port was skipped due to high winds. Just curious.

I've only been there on a cruise ship once, but I've flown in there countless times for work. The winds are frequently hellacious. It's always clear skies and gusty winds. I don't know how often it's missed as a port of call, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more often than other ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your replies! Last week was the first time I read someone missed this port. I am hoping we are able to anchor and this stop will be the longest one on our journey. I welcome all replies, thank you, the CC family rocks!:cool:

Missed Aruba during a cruise and it is a sister island to Curacao. If you can miss one, you can miss the other.

Just in passing, how did they came up with the spelling of Curacao when it sounds like Carosell? Every time I write Curacao I have to look it up for the correct spelling.

We were on the Conquest in May. We didn't miss Curacao but we were late in docking due to the high winds. It was also very windy in Aruba but arrived there with no problem. We did get sand blasted on the beach in Aruba though. So I would say it is possible to miss one of these ports due to high wind and waves. I just don't know how often this happens and if a certain time of year is worse than others.

We have been cruising there since the mid 1970's. We have never missed the port.

However, the Queen Emma Bridge (the pontoon bridge that swing open to allow passage to ships docking in the boat channel) has broken and caused ships that were scheduled to dock in the channel to cancel the port.

Because the larger ships dock outside the channel, the bridge would not be a problem. I could see how strong winds from the wrong direction would cause problems at the outside dock.

sorry but as a Captain, this post is like asking "will it be very windy and big waves on Dec. 15 next year"

Any given day, any day of the year you can have good weather or bad weather. About one week before your cruise, not 6 months, check www.windguru.com the weather.com website is not very accurate. Many sailors use windguru