Medallion info from CNET

IECalCruiser

I'm not some grouchy Luddite, but I've yet to see a convincing explanation of how the Medallion will markedly improve my passenger experience (as opposed to maximizing corporate profit and providing a whiz-bang to advertise). The only benefit I can think of is if the Medallion lets off a siren when a Traditional diner tries to sleaze into ATD, but even then… The RFID bracelets at Disney World make sense, sure. But all that Princess money spent to accomplish…exactly what? Warning your waiter you'll want iced tea?

Neither have I seen CC posters wishing for Medallion-type technology to make their sailings "a breeze." Better WiFi, sure. Better trivia prizes. And the parmesan basket. But I doubt CNET cares about fettucine Alfredo.

Carnival is coming a bit late to the party. The digitization of our world is moving ahead at a rapid pace. There will no longer be any fumbling of the cruise card to enter the cabin, order drinks etc. It is an improvement not just for the pax but also the ship to be able to keep better records for each of the pax. This is our future whether you accept it or not. I will welcome the change and have booked the CB just to see how it will work.

.... It is an improvement not just for the pax but also the ship to be able to keep better records for each of the pax. .....

And that is the entire reason in a nutshell. The more we rely on technology to make it through our day, the more information about us is being collected and stored by who knows who. With the current US administration now diluting online privacy by undoing privacy requirements put in place by the previous administration, the service providers will now be able to secretly collect any and all data they desire, and sell it to the highest bidder. These moves towards more technology is happening only to benefit the companies we do business with. If we receive any benefit at all, it is collateral benefit, usually designed to distract us with bells and whistles so we don't become overly suspicious - as we should - of the motives of these companies.

The flat room key card has worked just fine for decades. It is thin and easy to carry, is totally waterproof, and does everything a passenger actually needs it to. Why fix something that isn't broken, especially considering the high cost of implementation for the cruise lines, if they aren't getting the biggest benefit out of the installation of this tech. It certainly isn't being done for our benefit.

The killer application for this is the ability to get a drink delivered to the Lotus Spa Pool area. 37 cruises on Grand/Gem Class ships and I can count on a single hand the number of times a bar waiter has wandered over of his own volition without an advanced visit and a $5 tip to ask him to come by every 45 minutes.

The killer application for this is the ability to get a drink delivered to the Lotus Spa Pool area. 37 cruises on Grand/Gem Class ships and I can count on a single hand the number of times a bar waiter has wandered over of his own volition without an advanced visit and a $5 tip to ask him to come by every 45 minutes.

I too have experienced dismal service with pool bar staff. I think they try not to be overbearing.

I've just resorted to getting my own. The medallion might prove a welcome change :)

We won't be able to try it out unless we change our March booking to another time or ship. Our booked voyage on the CB and CP won't have it until the week after we are off the CB in March.