Free isn't always free

Granny DI

Just noticed a price drop on my Nov 2018 cruise. Called my TA for the lower price. Received my new confirmation and on it were prepaid service fees for the "free"beverage and specialty dining packages. The pre paid fees for the "free" beverage package were $156 pp! DH and I only have a drink before dinner or wine at dinner. I contacted my TA and asked her to remove the "free" beverage package from our goodies list. The service fees for specialty dining are reasonable and will add to them.

I prefer to pay gratuities as I go as I don't drink much. Never had two drinks in one day. The cruise is 14 days.

First time I've seen this on a confirmation. I have all the goodies so couldn't substitute it for another goodie.

I prefer to pay gratuities as I go as I don't drink much. Never had two drinks in one day. The cruise is 14 days.

First time I've seen this on a confirmation. I have all the goodies so couldn't substitute it for another goodie.

I agree. I picked the dining also. Now if they included specialty coffee and carried coca cola products, I might be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you in the Haven?

Just recently, NCL added the 18% for the UBP to Haven passengers...maybe that is why you never saw it before?

We have always sailed in the Haven. This time we are on a smaller ship in an aft suite. The fees weren't added on my original confirmation document. I can't drink $156 in 14 days.

The new promo now charges the fees when in the past they didn't if you are in a suite. Since you changed your reservation for the price drop you have to go with the current promos. Only good thing is you can decline the beverage perk.

Just noticed a price drop on my Nov 2018 cruise. Called my TA for the lower price. Received my new confirmation and on it were prepaid service fees for the "free"beverage and specialty dining packages. The pre paid fees for the "free" beverage package were $156 pp! DH and I only have a drink before dinner or wine at dinner. I contacted my TA and asked her to remove the "free" beverage package from our goodies list. The service fees for specialty dining are reasonable and will add to them.

Been that way for a while. Best to read the Terms and Conditions before you sign on the dotted line.

We have always sailed in the Haven. This time we are on a smaller ship in an aft suite. The fees weren't added on my original confirmation document. I can't drink $156 in 14 days.

If you have two drinks a day, and you are better off ordering the package and having some virgin slushy drinks during the day.

Been that way for a while. Best to read the Terms and Conditions before you sign on the dotted line.

It's new for suites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the few bonuses of being a non US cruise booker is these drink charges are included at a similar booking price.

They're not 'drink charges' they're gratuities for the staff. Norwegian doesn't take them. (Assuming they're not lying about them, obviously)

Princess doesn't charge you a service fee on your "free beverage package". Right now their promotion includes pre paid gratuity and beverage package in a balcony.

So, folks that are mad at NCL can just book Princess.

All is fine in the world. (just don't turn on the news -LOL)

I understand this policy started at midnight on June 6. A $156 service charge assumes I would consume $867 worth of drinks. This is insane. Just charge 18% on each drink sold then deduct the cost of the drink if buyer has the beverage package. We will use our OBC to buy our drinks.

My question.....

Is this now going to be policy going forward or just part of the current promotion.

The current promotion is set to expire June 30.

I am thinking I will wait until July to book my Suite, hoping that the additional grats will gone.

Color me optimistic. :rolleyes:

My question.....

Is this now going to be policy going forward or just part of the current promotion.

The current promotion is set to expire June 30.

I am thinking I will wait until July to book my Suite, hoping that the additional grats will gone.

Color me optimistic. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone on here can answer the question whether it will be ongoing or just part of this promotion.

I understand this policy started at midnight on June 6. A $156 service charge assumes I would consume $867 worth of drinks. This is insane. Just charge 18% on each drink sold then deduct the cost of the drink if buyer has the beverage package. We will use our OBC to buy our drinks.

It's the gratuity on the price of the package. Not how much you actually consume. If someone were to actually pay full price for the package they will also have this same cost for the gratuity. I understand what you are saying but that's not how it's done. Think of an all you can eat buffet or something like all you can eat appetizers at TGIF... there is one price you pay and then you tip on that price. Not on what you actually ate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As said, the service charge is on the cost of the package. They are not about to track the 18% one at a time. Their choice.

And, as you have suggested,if that perk is not of use to you, then do not take it.

I can drink $156 in a day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums