Oasis: Is there a way to text or communicate while on Board?

Hi! Just got back from the Disney Dream and Disney has upgraded their onboard app (free) amazingly in the past two years since we last sailed. It was great to have a texting feature available this time so hubby and I could communicate when we split up to entertain the kids.

In October we are sailing on Oasis with our friends (and NO KIDS - YAY!) and just wondered if RC has an app for Oasis or maybe a Wave Phone type device?

And yes, I've researched the threads so I assume there will be "just communicate with each other" comments. But really, we're two adult couples who have different agendas and are used to texting today, and also used to Disney, so this is just a "has anyone heard of any updates because I've never been on RC before" question. :-) We'll have our phones on us b/c of the ability to take pictures most likely.

Thank you!!!

On Oasis as I type this.

Unfortunately no, it's Internet (which works very well but ofc comes with a price) or old school (cabin phone, post-it, white board on door, etc.) right now.

On Oasis as I type this.

Unfortunately no, it's Internet (which works very well but ofc comes with a price) or old school (cabin phone, post-it, white board on door, etc.) right now.

As Ken mentioned, Cellular at Sea would allow texting at $0.50 per text for AT&T and Verizon cell customers. Billed by the cell company, not the ship.

If two of us have the Voom package, what is the best way to text without charges. I know to put phone on Airplane mode and then turn on the Wi-Fi but can I still use Facebook Messenger without any cellular charges? I also have Hangouts downloaded if that one works better. Thanks in advance!

If two of us have the Voom package, what is the best way to text without charges. I know to put phone on Airplane mode and then turn on the Wi-Fi but can I still use Facebook Messenger without any cellular charges? I also have Hangouts downloaded if that one works better. Thanks in advance!

Yes, once you put the phone in Airplane mode, and you don't use WiFi calling to make calls to phones outside the US, there should be no cellular charges.

Any internet based messaging app should work. Hangouts, and facebook messenger should both work on voom.

• 1 year later...

By accident, we discovered a way to text, without everyone needing VOOM. It seems that when one logs in to VOOM and bumps the previous device (one device VOOM package), the previous device doesn't get bumped all the way. We were able to text each other using Google Voice - did not try any other apps. Actually, even CC worked on the bumped device - though it was an agonizing 3 minutes between clicks.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/9/2017 at 5:35 AM, DPrincess81 said:

Hi! Just got back from the Disney Dream and Disney has upgraded their onboard app (free) amazingly in the past two years since we last sailed. It was great to have a texting feature available this time so hubby and I could communicate when we split up to entertain the kids.

In October we are sailing on Oasis with our friends (and NO KIDS - YAY!) and just wondered if RC has an app for Oasis or maybe a Wave Phone type device?

On 6/9/2017 at 6:05 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

No texting app is available on Oasis.

This thread is almost 2 years old. 

Has anything changed in regards to this?