Tipping policy a bit misleading

amd1234

My friends just returned from a wonderful Cruise on the new Viking Baltic itinerary. We usually cruise Uniworld all inclusive but usually give extra personally to housekeeper, bartender etc.. Their gratuities on Viking were over $400 for a15 days cruise. They were under the impression gratuities were to pay services of staff waiters, housekeepers. They asked the waiter confidentialy what percentage they received.. She was astonished they get nothing. Viking pays their round trip airfare home and their wifi.This certainly seems unfair...:(

My friends just returned from a wonderful Cruise on the new Viking Baltic itinerary. We usually cruise Uniworld all inclusive but usually give extra personally to housekeeper, bartender etc.. Their gratuities on Viking were over $400 for a15 days cruise. They were under the impression gratuities were to pay services of staff waiters, housekeepers. They asked the waiter confidentialy what percentage they received.. She was astonished they get nothing. Viking pays their round trip airfare home and their wifi.This certainly seems unfair...:(

I also don't believe it. Sadly, it looks like their server has tried the "poor me, I don't make any money at my job" tactic of increasing his "income".

I think, if the servers weren't getting good enough tips, they'd be looking for work elsewhere. Better question would have been "how long have you been working XXX line?"

I also find the waiter's story hard to believe. If it were true, any waiter who is good at the job would switch to another cruise line that either gives them the tip money or has tips included and therefore a higher wage. [Or maybe that is the explanation? Was this waiter not ready for prime time?]

1. I don't believe it.

2. It's not any of the passengers business.

I disagree with point #2. It IS my business. If I'm giving tips for service, those providing service should receive them.

Roz

Roz, it is possible that sitraveler meant that the amount received was none of the passenger's business. On one of our first cruises we were told that the entire crew, even the Captain. receive part of the tips. It is also possible that the waiter didn't understand what was being asked.

I agree if we are giving tips in a lump sum, we should know that it is being shared properly. Pat

Can this be moved from the River Cruise to Viking OCEANS

I would like to know the answer.....

That is why tips "included" seems to be the better way to go...then crew knows when hired that tips from individual passengers will be minimal. Our Viking WC has them included. I would also like tips for guides/drivers included.

Here is the answer from the Viking Ocean FAQ , taken from their USA web site.( I booked through my travel agent in the USA.)

What is the tipping policy?

"Our onboard staff is dedicated to providing you with the best cruise experience possible, and it is customary to give gratuities in recognition of service. How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. To save you worry over whom to tip and how much, we automatically add a discretionary hotel and dining charge of $15.00 per guest, per day to your shipboard account, which appears on your final invoice at the end of your cruise. This charge will be shared among the onboard staff who helped support and provide your cruise experience, including the waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, galley staff, laundry staff and others. (Please note this charge excludes bar gratuity; a 15% gratuity is automatically added to bar, beverage, wine and deck service tabs.) Should you wish to make changes to the gratuity amounts or pay in cash, just stop by our Explorers’ Desk at any time. You may also wish to tip your local excursion guides or driver; we suggest doing so in cash at the end of each tour."

There seems to be a mix up for some posters between river cruises and ocean cruises and whether one is booking from the USA or UK Viking Ocean.

The OP was a river cruiser who passed along conversation from a Viking Ocean cruiser who had a conversation with a crew member...:confused:

The Viking policy is clearly stated, IMO.

Edited by Azulann

Clearly stated yes. the OP thought that their friends were told differently by a crew member on an Ocean Viking cruise. Not sure we will ever know ...my hope is crew member may have been mistaken and did not understand the question.

Can this be moved from the River Cruise to Viking OCEANS

I would like to know the answer.....

That is why tips "included" seems to be the better way to go...then crew knows when hired that tips from individual passengers will be minimal. Our Viking WC has them included. I would also like tips for guides/drivers included.

Sent from my iPad using Forums