Please help stop the hoarding of daybeds in the solarium!!!😡

I will relate our experience on Legend to Hawaii couple years ago...again.

6 days at sea from San Diego to Hawaii means everyone wanted to be in Solarium! Needless to say, you had to be there very early in the morning to get one or take your chances.

One bunch of folks were playing cards at a table in Solarium as we entered. There were empty loungers near by, but with hats and sunglasses on them. We stood there and waited to see if the owners would come back, after 30 minutes, we began to remove the stuff and set it near the glass windows and sit down, at which point the card players started chiding us that those were their chairs!:evilsmile: We politely pointed out that they were sitting in "their" chairs and you can't occupy 2 at one time! There was a big bru ha ha, but we stood our ground. My last reply was "Go ahead and complain to the attendants!"....of course they didn't dare.

But the entitlement of some people knows no bounds. You just have to be willing to stand up for your rights and confront the abusers head on.

I will relate our experience on Legend to Hawaii couple years ago...again.

6 days at sea from San Diego to Hawaii means everyone wanted to be in Solarium! Needless to say, you had to be there very early in the morning to get one or take your chances.

One bunch of folks were playing cards at a table in Solarium as we entered. There were empty loungers near by, but with hats and sunglasses on them. We stood there and waited to see if the owners would come back, after 30 minutes, we began to remove the stuff and set it near the glass windows and sit down, at which point the card players started chiding us that those were their chairs!:evilsmile: We politely pointed out that they were sitting in "their" chairs and you can't occupy 2 at one time! There was a big bru ha ha, but we stood our ground. My last reply was "Go ahead and complain to the attendants!"....of course they didn't dare.

But the entitlement of some people knows no bounds. You just have to be willing to stand up for your rights and confront the abusers head on.

Thank you! I'm so glad you understand! I try to avoid conflict on vacation as much as possible, but there may be no other way around this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One time on the Rhapsody, I was sitting on the pool deck on a lounger. The one next to me had sunglasses, a hat, etc. I sat there approx. 1 1/2 hours and nobody showed up to claim the chair next to me. At that time a lady came by and asked if the lounger next to me was taken. I brushed the contents on the floor and said... "it is now". I sat for another hour and nobody came back to claim "their" lounger.

No matter how many chair hogs are in evidence, we always find a comfy spot to relax, have an adult beverage, read, etc.. I would never let it get me all stressed out. And yes I feel it is inconsiderate. I just choose to enjoy my vacation in spite of it.

During one of our cruises I was out in the Solarium around 6 each morning. There was always a lady there sleeping in "Her" lounger. She left frequently throughout the day to go to play trivia or to go to arts/crafts, or eat breakfast/lunch. I only know this because she would holler to a friend where she was off to each time. She commandeered that chair all day. I left around 1:00 but, her towel and sandals were still there every time I walked by later on. I just don't understand people who do this and probably never will. I did not witness the staff ever remove anyone's items from unoccupied chairs. There was also a father with his young child with floaties who was splashing in the Solarium pool. The staff walked by without saying a word. Finally one of the other passengers approached the parent and they left.

During one of our cruises I was out in the Solarium around 6 each morning. There was always a lady there sleeping in "Her" lounger. She left frequently throughout the day to go to play trivia or to go to arts/crafts, or eat breakfast/lunch. I only know this because she would holler to a friend where she was off to each time. She commandeered that chair all day. I left around 1:00 but, her towel and sandals were still there every time I walked by later on. I just don't understand people who do this and probably never will. I did not witness the staff ever remove anyone's items from unoccupied chairs. There was also a father with his young child with floaties who was splashing in the Solarium pool. The staff walked by without saying a word. Finally one of the other passengers approached the parent and they left.

Wow! People never cease to amaze me!

Just move the items and make yourself comfortable. If the person returns within 30 minutes, apologize and move. If they come back after 30 minutes, tell them the chair was empty when you got there and they should find a pool attendant.

Royal won't police this- so you have to!

Simple solution! :cool:

One time on the Rhapsody, I was sitting on the pool deck on a lounger. The one next to me had sunglasses, a hat, etc. I sat there approx. 1 1/2 hours and nobody showed up to claim the chair next to me. At that time a lady came by and asked if the lounger next to me was taken. I brushed the contents on the floor and said... "it is now". I sat for another hour and nobody came back to claim "their" lounger.

No matter how many chair hogs are in evidence, we always find a comfy spot to relax, have an adult beverage, read, etc.. I would never let it get me all stressed out. And yes I feel it is inconsiderate. I just choose to enjoy my vacation in spite of it.

I understand. I guess it is up to me to address the inconsiderate people and get comfortable with confrontation. However, I will never be OK with selfishness.

They are called chair hogs. They tend to herd up in open pool deck loungers, open deck loungers, solarium chairs, and of course those day beds, scratching...sniffing around and claiming their territory as their own before they herd up again and head off to run people over in the WJ for a plate full, then they may go back to the shade of their cabin and take a nap.

All the while feeling secure that their little pig pen lounger is staked out as their own all day. ;p

Chair Hogs threads are one of the most popular hot button topics on CC. ;) They never go away.

We recently cruised the Harmony of the Seas in June. I was appalled to see how selfish people were! There are plenty of deck chairs to go around but no more than about 15 day bed canopies. I literally witnessed people putting towels and books in them and reserving them for hours on end! This has to stop! I think Royal should put a new protocol in place that if day beds are left unattended then they become free for use for the next guest. No one should be holding on to these. There are only about a dozen to share between almost 6000 guests! It should be used for lounging and relaxing purposes only! Not as a resting spot while you go off to breakfast, lunch, dinner, shop, swim, etc. There are deck chairs for all of that! There were so many people who were angered by this and something needs to be done. Please join in my contacting Royal Caribbean in order to get this changed! It may be a small issue to some, but to others like myself that paid upwards of 5k for this trip only to never have gotten the opportunity to relax in the day beds due to the selfish hoarding of others it was highly upsetting!

Serious question. How much would you pay for this prized real estate? Maybe a Suite only sea pass? Perhaps purchase for the hour, morning, afternoon, or the entire day? My point is with 12 'daybeds' for 6,000 guests, 5,988 people are always going to be without. So... would you pay for the pleasure of claiming this specific area as your 'space' ?

I am not going to touch someone else's belongings. That is asking for a fight. We must all work together to fight this terrible attitude of entitlement and selfishness! That is really what this is about. Not just chairs! We all pay to enjoy our vacations. Why make excuses for those that try to ruin it for others with their selfishness??

The problem is working together doesn't do anything if one party is selfish and has no interest in working with you to fix it.

It really is not a matter of normalizing the issue. It is more a matter of when I know I am going to encounter an issue that might prove to be aggravating I try to prepare ahead of time for the situation so that I don't let it annoy me. Your getting worked up about this is not having the slightest impact on those selfish people that you are talking about. It is no different that selfish drivers on the road. I can scream my head off at them in my the car which only serves to hurt my throat or I can continue chilling to the music that I am listening to.

The problem with charging for them will be people will then complain it's another example of RCL nickel-and-diming them

When we were on the Oasis, several years ago, they did police them and removed belongings after 30 minutes if left unattended. We watched them do this.

Our last trip on Celebrity in March, there were a few "seashell-looking loungers" and a large number of regular lounge chairs with little printed cards noting that security had their possessions and where the owners could pick them up.

Funny enough, in the hour I relaxed and read there, saw nobody do the "where did my stuff go, what's this card?" reaction.

Our last trip on Celebrity in March, there were a few "seashell-looking loungers" and a large number of regular lounge chairs with little printed cards noting that security had their possessions and where the owners could pick them up.

Funny enough, in the hour I relaxed and read there, saw nobody do the "where did my stuff go, what's this card?" reaction.

That's why you can never find a book in the library. The chair hogs grab those and the ship's towels to make it look

like "their stuff" is on the loungers. They did not pay for those, so no loss if they disappear. Though with many ships

back to swiping your sea pass card for those pool towels....that could be interesting if those towels walk away while they are gone for hours. ;)

I've been at hotels where there's a reservation system. A sign is put up with you name on it and the time your reservation expires. Then the next person can use it

I actually dont mind people reserving seats if theyre actually in the pool or hot tub. But some people leave a towel on the seat and leave to have breakfast, lunch, and disappear for hours. Of the 12 days we were on Anthem recently, we werent able to find a seat on sea days, at least not until way after dinner

Serious question. How much would you pay for this prized real estate? Maybe a Suite only sea pass? Perhaps purchase for the hour, morning, afternoon, or the entire day? My point is with 12 'daybeds' for 6,000 guests, 5,988 people are always going to be without. So... would you pay for the pleasure of claiming this specific area as your 'space' ?

It may come down to that.

Edited by queety23

I've been at hotels where there's a reservation system. A sign is put up with you name on it and the time your reservation expires. Then the next person can use it

I was thinking that would be a good idea to use in this case? Do you think it would work?

They are called chair hogs. They tend to herd up in open pool deck loungers, open deck loungers, solarium chairs, and of course those day beds, scratching...sniffing around and claiming their territory as their own before they herd up again and head off to run people over in the WJ for a plate full, then they may go back to the shade of their cabin and take a nap.

All the while feeling secure that their little pig pen lounger is staked out as their own all day. ;p

Chair Hogs threads are one of the most popular hot button topics on CC. ;) They never go away.

Wow! There's a name for them?? Lol. So fitting!

So now one would have to plan ahead of time when he/she might feel like hanging out in a chair on the pool deck for awhile? People around here complained about the loss of spontaneity when RCI introduced reservations for shows when Oasis came into service. Reservations for dining, reservations for shows, reservations for pool chairs...

If planning everything out ahead of time, even going to the pool, is the wave of the future as ships get bigger I'm not sure it seems very appealing. That isn't what cruising used to be about and that is especially true for sea days. They were pretty much about doing what you wanted when you felt like doing it.

If you're going to think back about the 'old days' of cruising...

IIRC, the ocean liner's used to actually have assigned deck chairs for the entire cruise...not sure if you paid extra for that or not, but it would be a solution to the problem. For those day beds...perhaps there should be a fee for their use, like the 'cabana's' on some ships...

You can't have 12 daybeds with the 'no reservation needed' cruise mentality and expect everything to be just peachy. I say if stuff is in a chair...move the 'stuff' to another empty chair and sit down. Chairs are to be sat in not looked at. If someone comes back and says hey where's my stuff?, point to the empty chair you placed it in. If they don't like it, tell them there are plenty of other empty chairs, grab one. If I have a need to sit down and there is an empty chair, I'm sitting.